DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APRIL 2024

Okay it's on the 2/2/85 episode.

-It’s a Butch Reed music video, and Bill Watts doesn’t shy away from the nepotism at all, freely admitting that the other people in the music video are his sons and their friends, which gives us our historic first glimpse of Erik Watts on a professional wrestling telecast. And he has a mustache. AND HE’S POP-LOCKING. Stop the show, we’re already done.

This wouldn't be the low point for Erik Watts, believe it or not.

• Like 1

Funny, on the heels of THE FOOTAGE in AEW, we're talking about a lot of stuff done on Mid South TV shows that would get you absolutely ridiculed and mocked in today's social media age. To the point where you delete and scrub all your accounts. Honestly, I take a lot of stuff being done by Bill as well intentioned. However, the music video with his kids, putting over local business partners, sucking up to local famous people, etc. is very disarming but somehow very non pro wrestling. It's very local guy made good. Like he should have a bunch of car dealerships around town. It's like an inherent contradiction. Bill Watts is the definition of pro wrestling, but he's allowed to do stuff that definitely ain't pro wrestling. An outsider like Tony Khan cannot do that and it's taken as disingenuous when done cause he wasn't in "pro wrestling" and is a legit businessman. It's an amazing paradox.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Funny, on the heels of THE FOOTAGE in AEW, we're talking about a lot of stuff done on Mid South TV shows that would get you absolutely ridiculed and mocked in today's social media age. To the point where you delete and scrub all your accounts. Honestly, I take a lot of stuff being done by Bill as well intentioned. However, the music video with his kids, putting over local business partners, sucking up to local famous people, etc. is very disarming but somehow very non pro wrestling. It's very local guy made good. Like he should have a bunch of car dealerships around town. It's like an inherent contradiction. Bill Watts is the definition of pro wrestling, but he's allowed to do stuff that definitely ain't pro wrestling. An outsider like Tony Khan cannot do that and it's taken as disingenuous when done cause he wasn't in "pro wrestling" and is a legit businessman. It's an amazing paradox.

I remember his random tangent about his airplane being painted improperly, along with his weeks-long tirade about some guy in Jackson, Mississippi named "The Welcher" who must've been a promoter that stole money from him. You're right, nobody could pull that off today without getting utterly roasted.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

I remember his random tangent about his airplane being painted improperly, along with his weeks-long tirade about some guy in Jackson, Mississippi named "The Welcher" who must've been a promoter that stole money from him. You're right, nobody could pull that off today without getting utterly roasted.

"So yesterday, I was helping my kids out with their school project..."

Bill, ten minutes ago Jim Duggan and Ted DiBiase were sincerely fighting over who was the best dressed in Mid South and using "high tech technology" to monitor crowd response. Let the segment breathe, Cowboy.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

"High technology technology", love it

A thought, if you have the Mid-South set handy, the breakdancing HAS to be in the extras footage.

First few minutes of the episode for those who don't.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I'm surprised Matt left as I was fully expecting one last Hardys/E&C match.

A Hardy Compound match with these 4 would've been phenomenal.

Whoever said Matt (and to a lesser extent Jeff) overvalues himself too much in 2024 is dead on. You can see the difference in the approach between the work of the Hardys and Cope/Christian in AEW. The Hardys (in addition to being more broken down physically) always seemed like they expected everyone to work their match and kind of projected that "play the hits and leave" mindset. Cope and Christian have both adapted their styles to what the rest of the roster brings and find places to integrate their strengths on top of that. No surprise that the latter two have had much better output on TV.

It might be more accurate to say the Hardys overvalue their WWE experience specifically. While I'm sure they'd have plenty of useful advice, they don't possess the secret for turning AEW into a second WWE. For most guys on the roster, picking the brains of Daniels and Sydal would be far more fruitful (to say nothing of having Danielson, Joe, Claudio, etc around). Those guys are much more in tune with what AEW is going for and most of them can incorporate the WWE perspective in their teachings as well.

• Like 4

Is it possible that territorial wrestling makes up an unusually high percentage of surviving local television programming from the 80s? Like there’s probably not a ton of midday local news from 1983 circulating online.

And if you remember the Tiger King documentary, there’s still a certain amount of local stuff that doesn’t get seen outside of a market. But not as much as years ago.

20 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Is it possible that territorial wrestling makes up an unusually high percentage of surviving local television programming from the 80s? Like there’s probably not a ton of midday local news from 1983 circulating online.

And if you remember the Tiger King documentary, there’s still a certain amount of local stuff that doesn’t get seen outside of a market. But not as much as years ago.

How much local programming would have went through a sustained tape trading renaissance that pro wrestling did?

The further away you get away from something, the tougher it is to bring it back.

There was a lady who recorded CNN for like an entire decade 24/7. I read a story about it in the Guardian a couple years back. There are also people who buy up VHS from estate sales who have movies that got recorded from TV just so they can check out if there are any classic commercials. Plus you've got the Martin Scorcese collection that was just brought to the public's awareness, that was him having recorded anything in TV Guide that looked appealing all through the '80s and possibly the '90s. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

A Hardy Compound match with these 4 would've been phenomenal.

Whoever said Matt (and to a lesser extent Jeff) overvalues himself too much in 2024 is dead on. You can see the difference in the approach between the work of the Hardys and Cope/Christian in AEW. The Hardys (in addition to being more broken down physically) always seemed like they expected everyone to work their match and kind of projected that "play the hits and leave" mindset. Cope and Christian have both adapted their styles to what the rest of the roster brings and find places to integrate their strengths on top of that. No surprise that the latter two have had much better output on TV.

It might be more accurate to say the Hardys overvalue their WWE experience specifically. While I'm sure they'd have plenty of useful advice, they don't possess the secret for turning AEW into a second WWE. For most guys on the roster, picking the brains of Daniels and Sydal would be far more fruitful (to say nothing of having Danielson, Joe, Claudio, etc around). Those guys are much more in tune with what AEW is going for and most of them can incorporate the WWE perspective in their teachings as well.

Matt Hardy has always been weird and delusional, it's just that finding a gimmick that played into his weirdness saved his career.  Just look at his 2011ish - 2016ish  run in places like ROH, where he just came off like a has-been who never changed anything and is probably on his last run.

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe the local horror show host segments on Saturday afternoon/late night monster movie blocks? Your Svengooli types? 

I am guessing that is probably the closest. 

I would say the amount of old boxing still up on YouTube and like Vimeo astonishes me but then again, there are bunch of purists who would have grabbed it.

It's actually stuff that is more recent that isn't on YouTube or Dailymotion anymore like swathes of Friday Night Fights, USA Tuesday Nights Fights, and random Showtime/HBO cards from the early 90s to 2008. Some of it got taken down for copyright (Don King content from the SET/Showtime days usually) and the rest never got uploaded.

Dmitry Salita did everyone a solid a few years ago, bought some tape libraries (Cedric Kushner, Main Events/Garden State Boxing/Gary Shaw Productions, and other smaller promotions), ripped them, and uploaded them for free on YouTube in pretty good quality. So that takes care of a solid chunk of fairly recent stuff.

• Like 1

Has anyone from AEW proper confirmed the footage is of Punk and Perry? I know the websites are saying it but Tony has only said it's real footage and from what I've seen (granted not much) those specific names haven't actually come from the company

Edit: 411 says they haven't said those names just Meltzer and crew. My point is, I guess they have plausible deniability if they bait and switch but the sheets will look like shit in the process

Edited by Godfrey

Bucks did fight FTR at All In, so it would be logical to think they're going to show some kind of footage of FTR and Bucks backstage so they can build some heat for their rematch. So while they technically wouldn't be lying, as it would be real footage from a controversial show, it would still be disappointing. And probably not in a way that would make people tune in to watch them get their ass beat.

• Like 1

Yeah, all the wording suggests this isn’t going to be Punk-related, just something to link into the FTR match. So they’re not technically doing a bait and switch as they’ve never actually mentioned Punk (or even said something like ‘footage of the altercation’). But it will definitely feel like a bait and switch (and they’ll only have themselves to blame).

I think this would have been a perfectly fine *wink-wink* heel bit for the Bucks if they did the tease during the show, a couple of minutes before showing the footage. But it feels like they’ve backed themselves into a corner doing it like this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

There was a lady who recorded CNN for like an entire decade 24/7.

Marion Stokes. She taped thousands of hours of television news footage from 1977 to 2012. It's really a fascinating story, and we owe so much to her, alot of her taped footage is the only footage in existence for certain things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Stokes

• Like 2

Apparently quite a lot of the NHL's tape library archive was purchased from a tape trader, who set up a national network of VHS enthusiasts to make sure that he would get the full broadcasts of every game on every channel nationwide. He'd get people to send him the footage, and then edit out all of the pre-game, all of the post-game, and all of the actually playing Hockey so he could make his "Best Hockey Fights" compilation tapes. But because he kept all of the raw footage, that meant that he was suddenly, accidentally the official video librarian of the league.

His name is Sandy Bowens, he's Anthony Bowens' dad.

• Like 8