DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APRIL 2024

Topic will be automatically locked at 03:59 AM

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Mr. Workers' Rights talking about how wrestlers should still be paid based on houses (which, even in the best of times, was likely a scam based on a little something I like to call Carny Math) is certainly a choice.

This is a very good point. I think my take on all of this will be a little different than most on here about the interview in totality. But I wanted to highlight this as a very good point that detracts from what I'm about to say. And just goes to show the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Neither side is totally in the right. And everyone is an asshole in some aspect here.

The point above sounds ridiculous. But it's in reading between the lines that I kind of get it. Yes guaranteed money is great. It provides a better living and health and happiness for the performers. And it didn't ruin the business. But what I perceive him to mean by that is it killed the drive in a lot of people. There's no danger. There's no urgency. There's no real motivation (beyond your own self drive... if you have it) to make the choices best to drive the business. The Bucks & Kenny can refuse to work with him because their contracts are guaranteed. When I think everyone agrees the best thing they could have put on screen was playing out the drama from Brawl Out.

Overall Punk sounded pretty rational in a lot of what he said to me. The truth is Cabana did not get fired. Colt Cabana got shuffled to ROH. Something that happened to a lot of performers in AEW. Brian Cage got shuffled there around the same time. That doesn't mean Punk caused it. The crux of all of this is the inter personal conflict of Punk & Cabana set against the friendship of Cabana with The Bucks & Hangman. The easiest and most professional thing to do was not to just take Cabana's word for it that he was "fired". Because he never was. The professional thing at the start of this would have been for The Bucks & Hangman to just ask Punk hey did you have anything to do with this? And if he said no they could have chose to believe him, or ask Tony.

The underlying point here is The Bucks are bulletproof as EVPs, and while i don't feel like they overstepped. I feel like a lot of their friends did, knowing they had the cover to do so because of The Bucks. Literally all of this can be pinpointed back to Colt Cabana complaining someone got him fired that didn't. All of this drama and fallout over Colt Cabana? Who at the time was as low card as it gets and who continues at this point in time to be as low card as it can get.

But ultimately I feel like Punk came off very rational in that interview. That doesn't mean I hate AEW or TK. I still prefer AEW. I still like TK. I still enjoy The Bucks & Hangman. I just think the lack of an adult in the room feeling like he could force everyone's hand hurt this whole deal. Being nice is great. But being too nice leads to you being walked over.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

Every single time.  There's a link to him discussing how calm, rational, and professional he was in dealing with the Hangman issue, as if the scrum never happened.  In all seriousness, as someone who has dealt with a some psychological issues in life, once you've started figuring out your own shit, it becomes glaringly obvious when someone else is dealing with some undiagnosed shit.  In my humble opinion as a dude just trying to get through life, just based on how Punk presents himself, this dude is a massive narcissist who has never devoted a nanosecond to wondering if he might possibly be the problem, has never once thought about how his own shortcomings might cause problems.  Everything he does right because he is the hero of his own story and can never be wrong.  Every single interview about these situations, he's the most professional, rational, and correct person in every situation.  It's fucking wild, dude.  Have some fucking humility.

On the one hand it’s clear that he’s grown up quite a bit. On the other hand growing up means he just got better at projecting himself at doing no harm. It’s funny too because in the interview he talks about if he were younger he would have handled things worse than he would now. My man, you still didn’t handle things well, whether or not TK is a good boss.

I do think it’s good he’s in WWE. In this current WWE it’s a well oiled machine that caters to what he thinks is best for business and everyone stays in line. AEW to its benefit and its detriment is a little too free wheeling. 

What surprised me the most about the interview was just how much he talked about what Vince did. As of this moment, they’re still allegations, but it didn’t stop him from talking about Vince shitting on someone’s head and ruining the lives of one or more women. I think it’s the first person on the roster to actually call that out and not just dance around it and my first thought was if he’s going to get in trouble for anything it might be speaking so openly about that. Every other wrestler talks like they have certain talking points they have to stick to where Seth may have gone the furthest in calling Vince out, but Punk went even further than that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Just gonna keep it short and sweet, fuck CM Punk. 

I second the motion ☝

Edited by Coletti
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm watching Twitter clips of this right now.  It's exactly what I said it was.  Punk airing out every bit of dirty laundry he has about the Jungle Boy situation and then firing little childish digs at Tony Khan about how to run a business.  

Woah, people are clipping the seemingly inflammatory stuff and not all the other parts where he was talking about stuff like how Vince wouldn’t have yet him TV with grey in his beard? No wonder everyone is so fired up! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to be a Punk guy, but there's only so much one can take before you realize Punk may be the problem. I always defended him during his first run in WWE because he was the anti-establishment fighting against the very system that employed him. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I used to be a Punk guy, but there's only so much one can take before you realize Punk may be the problem. I always defended him during his first run in WWE because he was the anti-establishment fighting against the very system that employed him. 

I maintain no illusion that AEW, and the EVP's in particular, are blameless. I do wish TK would be more assertive at times with talent. I just can't imagine living life with the lack of self awareness Punk seems to have. That dude legitimately believes he's never done wrong in his life.

• Like 7

Don't know what to think in regards to the Punk interview.
I don't know if admitting to choking a guy at work, and then bemoaning how unprofessional the place could be makes a lot of sense.

He likes to talk real progressive and then he says shit like "we're men so we settle it like men." Whatever good that's done anyone.

Another refrain he hit was "Think whatever you want about me, it's fine. But leave me alone."

I don't know the dude. He might be really cool, nice guy to hang around. But publicly he seems to always say whatever makes him look the best even if it's contradictory, and it makes him look like a the biggest phony. Like he said multiple times "I think wrestlers give too much away"  and "I'm uncomfortable pulling the curtain back." But he didn't have to do this interview at all according to Ariel. He chose this. And when Ariel thanked him he said "I don't do media anymore."

Like bro, what are you here for.

I wish I could just enjoy the character CM Punk, because he's a fun promo and a pretty good wrestler. But the dude makes it hard.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I wish I could just enjoy the character CM Punk, because he's a fun promo and a pretty good wrestler. But the dude makes it hard.

This. Right here

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

And I see we’re off to the races with his “I just choked him a little bit” remark. I think the funniest take I’ve seen is that he only choked a little bit in his UFC career or judging by his UFC performances choking someone a little bit was the best he could do.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And I see we’re off to the races with his “I just choked him a little bit” remark. I think the funniest take I’ve seen is that he only choked a little bit in his UFC career or judging by his UFC performances choking someone a little bit was the best he could do.

Hey, some people pay for that kind of thi-

Nope nope nope nope

• Haha 12

22 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Hey, some people pay for that kind of thi-

Nope nope nope nope

Easy Stephenetico...

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The Bucks & Kenny can refuse to work with him because their contracts are guaranteed. When I think everyone agrees the best thing they could have put on screen was playing out the drama from Brawl Out.

I don't agree. Pro wrestling is at its absolute worst when they try to work real-life shit into the storylines.

I'll concede enough people are inexplicably interested in the backstage crap that it might have been the most lucrative thing they could have put on screen. But best? Nah.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I don't agree. Pro wrestling is at its absolute worst when they try to work real-life shit into the storylines.

I'll concede enough people are inexplicably interested in the backstage crap that it might have been the most lucrative thing they could have put on screen. But best? Nah.

I know “it’s wrestling and wrestling is different from real life job environments,” such a lousy argument that excuses all manner of bullshit, but seriously…in what world should anyone be forced to work with a coworker who talked shit and physically assaulted them because “think of the money!”

The “they should have done business!” argument needs to stay in 1982.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I know “it’s wrestling and wrestling is different from real life job environments,” such a lousy argument that excuses all manner of bullshit, but seriously…in what world should anyone be forced to work with a coworker who talked shit and physically assaulted them because “think of the money!”

The “they should have done business!” argument needs to stay in 1982.

If Punk was all about business wouldn't he have done business with the guy who everyone on Earth knows he hates and knows the story and whose sacking/demotion set everything off? 

• Like 2

Agreed with that last part. Like, I think it's hysterical that the Jacksons and Kenny caught an ass-beating with a man advantage, but there is no other industry on earth where anyone would expect those people to work together without serious accommodations...

• Like 1

Maybe not in “modern times,” but seems like you would have locker room fights in real sports and sometimes it was allegedly good for the team (70s As, Bronx Zoo, …). 

19 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If Punk was all about business wouldn't he have done business with the guy who everyone on Earth knows he hates and knows the story and whose sacking/demotion set everything off? 

The guy can't even keep his mouth shut about shit that doesn't matter anymore on the week where he's involved in one of the bigger angles on one of the biggest Manias.  The guy can't even play checkers and you want him to play chess lol

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Agreed with that last part. Like, I think it's hysterical that the Jacksons and Kenny caught an ass-beating with a man advantage, but there is no other industry on earth where anyone would expect those people to work together without serious accommodations...

Your anti-YB gimmick is the worst gimmick since Vince Champ's.

• Like 1