DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Holy crap, I just realized that Villano stands for villain! 

Now help me figure out how to tell them apart by what they do and how they move. 

I think pro wrestling discourse on the internet has always been pretty dumb, but I think what you're seeing a lot of right now (going wholly on vibes here), is a couple of things:

1. You, me, probably most people on this board are old now. We have seen a lot of wrestling. We have lived through a lot of wrestling. More than new international markets, I think there is a whole generation of young fans coming online now who grew up in a post-WCW era where there was nothing but WWE, and who are YOU to tell them that your love of Steamboat-Flair is an iron-clad truth while their love of the General Manager era of RAW is dumb nostalgic revisionism. They don't want to be told that the things they loved when they were younger fucking sucked any more than any one else, so there's a real "Get out of my way old man" attitude -- which is good, honestly! -- but instead of it being applied in defense of more obscure, unheralded wrestling that you might have otherwise overlooked, it's about some real historic low points of American Wrestling.

2.  As an extension of that, I would guess that maybe that same cohort are at about the age where you really push back against the idea of being seen as pretentious, and you learn the really fun judo move of being like, "Actually, I love dumb shit! Dumb shit is GOOD, and all that arty-farty crap that critics say is good is BAD." Which, again, is a totally fine way to approach things, but I think mellows out with age as you realize that there's more to appreciating the world than being contrary. Because the internet wrestling world has had to slog through, god, two decades(?) of there being an American Wrestling monopoly, not much kind has been said about WWE for a very long time on here, which results in there being sort of a clear consensus that can be bucked.

3. This has resulted in a lot of dumb culture war stuff bleeding into wrestling. Not in terms of political parties or anything, but in the sense that people are really defining who they are or are not as consumers. Like Marvel fans screeching about Martin Scorcese, there is this sense of identity that people are tacking onto their fandom. An AEW fan is THIS kind of person (fill in your own blanks here) and a WWE fan is THIS kind of person, and all arguments originate based around these fixed ideas of defining yourself in opposition to something else (nevermind the stupid binary that this creates). This results in really boring back and forths that never seem to be in good faith at all and are mostly defensive posturing.

4. Which also results in the very cool, very interesting people whose entire worldview seems to be, "In my opinion, everything is good and nothing is bad and nobody should ever say anything bad about anybody or anything." The most interesting people who talk about wrestling, I think, are people who have very specific, idiosyncratic viewpoints. Like, if you can write (or speak) compellingly about how JBL's Cabinet was the greatest faction of all time, I'm all ears, I would love to be convinced of this, but I need to actually believe that you believe that and not feel like you're just saying it because you're worried that liking Kenny Omega would make you look like a huge dork (it would, incidentally). 

5. The internet is just worse than it's ever been. A total ramshackle, decaying version of itself that is breaking everyone's brain more every day. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

In a way/sense, yes - I'm hesitant to say anything that could be misconstrued as xenophobia or a put-down of any sort, but there seems to be a contingent of international fans on those type of forums who treat the proceedings more like pure sport. "JHON CENA WILL KILL ___"-type stuff

April 1st we should all post on kayfabe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So this made look up false friends between English and Spanish to make a silly joke, but I ended up almost empty handed (for one, because the ones with wrestling connections are way to obvious, I mean no one would think Julio Dinero translated to "Jules Dinner" or "Sin Caras" meant "sinn faces"). Though it's funny that a significant bunch of them also work as false friends between English and German (obviously there are also ones that work between Spanish and German, but that was to be expected considering that German and English are closer related to each other).

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

But what is "killer" spelled backwards?

• Haha 4

I just heard Tenay explain that Psicosis means "Psycho" in Spanish on a random SN episode. Bless that guy.

I do think his Lucha Libre and the Mexican Luchadores series that ran on Nitro in 1997 was probably genuinely important for getting a non-negligible amount of WCW fans to watch more lucha. A kid from Acworth or Biloxi or somewhere saw those segments and is now a huge CMLL fan or something. So that's cool! 

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

They don't want to be told that the things they loved when they were younger fucking sucked any more than any one else

I think that mellows with age, too, though. In my case at least, I'll always harbour nostalgic love for the '80s Transformer and G.I. Joe cartoons, but I'm also comfortable with the fact that they were objectively pretty bad. (The '80s Transformers comics weren't as good as I thought they were at the time either.)

• Like 2

I watched some Super Mario Bros. Super Show! the other day, starring one of the only two actors whom I recognize as Mario, Captain Lou. 

It's dreadful, of course. One episode at a time is enough. But I'll always deeply love it. 

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 2

Watching the OG transformers is painful.  The animation did not age well.  But I still love it.  Watching old wrestling can be painful.  But I still love it.   Hell I am one of the few people on this board that liked the various DX restarts.  

This rambling post is basically to say like what you like, even when you know it's technically 'bad"

Edited by DJ Hero Morganti
2 when bad. Even when good
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Villanova Grad said:

Feel free to message me any time you want to compare stacks of diplomas & career achievements.

Call me when Villanova levels up and gets up there with the big boys like University of Phoenix and Southern New Hampshire University. THEY GOT COMMERCIALS!

• Haha 8

32 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Call me when Villanova levels up and gets up there with the big boys like University of Phoenix and Southern New Hampshire University. THEY GOT COMMERCIALS!

Did you know you can get a degree at home now?

At home!

Not like some rube who has to live in a dorm in Philly, sharing a microwave that no one wants to clean. 

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

At home!

Not like some rube who has to live in a dorm in Philly, sharing a microwave that no one wants to clean. 

Shush! He has more decorative paper weights than us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Imagine being his big age and the only interesting thing about you being where you went to college.  Sad world.

On the wrestling tip: I have memories as a kid of WCW starting to set up a Nikita Koloff/Stan Hansen Russian Sickkle vs Lariat feud, but there is nothing about this online.  Did I make this up?  Was it some Apter mag shit that got stuck in my brain?

1 hour ago, SirSmUgly said:

At home!

My stepfather took a course in VCR repair at home, and lemme tell you, it was really lucrative!*

* Until approximately 2001.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I still have a VHS of that in the garage.

17 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

My stepfather took a course in VCR repair at home, and lemme tell you, it was really lucrative!*

* Until approximately 2001.

Hey Curt, I know who to talk to if you want to experience the sheer magic of a bad '80s cartoon with episodes that include a red-haired Princess Toadstool and Captain Lou trading jokes with a Cher impersonator!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Hey Curt, I know who to talk to if you want to experience the sheer magic of a bad '80s cartoon with episodes that include a red-haired Princess Toadstool and Captain Lou trading jokes with a Cher impersonator!

No need to involve my stepfather and fussy drive belts, it's on YouTube!

https://youtu.be/CK1p3WzA-34?si=yGJ6qgsc-D57707M

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1