DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/28 - 3/5/2024 - Stingchronicity II

Well, it's finally here.  The end of Sting's career. 

Let's take a look at some of his greatest hits:

Spoiler

I still can't believe The Police fired him. 

Anyway, Tony's probably going to add another 5-10 matches to Revolution.  Let's find out what they are, starting tonight! 

• Haha 6

So I just caught up on Rampage and Collision, but I missed last week's thread about it - The Bucks wearing a TRILBY just shows they're leaning far, far into their jerk ass-selves (as they should). Since they've already worn a cabbie hat, and now a trilby, what other neck-beard accessory is next?

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Reveal hidden contents

Anyway, Tony's probably going to add another 5-10 matches to Revolution.  Let's find out what they are, starting tonight! 

When Edge eventually retires you can kind of repeat this joke, and the subtitle can be, "Oh! Not you, too!"o

Spoiler

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Reveal hidden contents

Regarding the hidden content, I need to check if "Hungry for You" is that song I used to like a lot in the mid 90's? I don't believe I have listened to it since then, though. It had a video on Mtv at the time with a desert theme. I'm not sure if that's the same song, but I remember liking it a lot. Certainly belongs on that list.

Which wrestler's legacy most matches up with musician Sting's - arguably strong early band run to full 180 light pap solo? Dave 'Edge' Evans equivalent would be a bit easier - somebody with a somewhat unique style who became huge, and then watered down anything interesting and played the hits for the latter part of his career.

Anybody got a line-up?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Log said:

Sheepherders/Bushwackers for the Sting one.

I could see an argument for Foley here too when he started taking it a little easier in '99 doing more comedy stuff.

Keeping in theme: "Andy Summers is actually an insane guitar player, he just doesn't show off" is kind of the equivalent of our "Hogan always wore his working boots in Japan"

• Like 5

Yeah, except U2 sucks and Edge sucks (the musician). At least Sting and the Police were... kinda good. He's a great bass player at any rate. There's an interview with him recently where they ask him if he's any good and he says "Well I could hold a job. I worked on..." and he goes down the list of every single job, actual jobby-job and not in-studio work playing bass that he ever had and it is a laundry list. Like one of the jobs was "I played behind strippers and comedians", another one was "I played on a cruise ship". Then he says "Yeah, I'm a fucking good bass player!" 😄 Wasn't the story about the Police that they all hated each other anyway? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Maybe Sean Waltman for Edge Evans? Waltman had the Lynn matches and the early WWF run and then at some point became the definition of ‘go away heat’ then known as ‘XPac Heat’? I guess it all depends on how strongly you feel about Boy to Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby era You Two. The Bronco Buster was the equivalent annoyance to U2’s Pop. Or whatever that later automatic download album was called.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

The February 28th Announced line-up:

AEW International Championship Open Challenge Match: Orange Cassidy (c) vs. Nick Wayne
* Eddie Kingston & FTR vs. Blackpool Combat Club
* Atlantis Jr. vs. Chris Jericho
* Skye Blue vs. Kris Statlander
* Sting’s last Dynamite
* We’ll hear from Will Ospreay
* Hangman Page will reveal status for Revolution

• Thanks 1

In March 1988 I saw Sting on the Nothing like the Sun tour at Madison Square Garden. I was actually a pretty big fan of the first 2 solo records, saw the documentary about the making of the record in theaters. But I also was getting heavily into hardcore/punk rock by then. I bought a shirt before the show. The show was SOOOOO self-indulgent. When I got home, I gave my brother the shirt and my mom the tapes and never willingly listened to anything non-Police again.

In March 2022 I saw Sting at AEW Dynamite in Austin. He was tagging with Darby Allin (of course) and the Hardyz versus Andrade Family Order. He jumped off the top rope to the floor and brawled around the arena. It was awesome to see him, and he worked hard.

Anyway, BCC-FTR/Kingston is going to rule.

• Like 2

Things I remember from this week's edition of AEW Dynamite:

Naturalmente, Hangman's injury was a work so he could get a shot in on Swerve. Joe had strong enough micwork to make me think "keep the belt on him at Revolution"

Fun time with the trios match

Will Osprey is here and he has a match with his stablemate and they surely will be in the same group postmatch

Fun match with Orange and Nick Wayne. Boy does the Roddy vs Orange feud just putter along.

Kris Statlander tosses Skye Blue into the plants section of the front row but loses later

Atlantis probably telegraphed the finish a little with his towel waving. Of the in-ring main events for the go-home episode, Chris Jericho beating up his friend's son was one of them

Darby eats a beating from the Bucks

Ric Flair is still dressed like a grandma's couch, and he doublecrossed the Bucks before eating a (for his age) beatdown. "That's a 70 year old man" - yeah, 5 years ago he was 70.

STING FROM THE RAFTERS IN 2024

• Like 3

I figured Ric would pretend to turn on Sting only to turn on the Bucks. It reinforces that you can't trust Ric Flair without ending things for Sting on a sour note. But I thought they would save it for the actual PPV match.

• Like 1

Wonder if the personal travails were a work and they just wanted to get over Hangman jumping Swerve. It was okay. Joe murdered them verbally. 

I still didn't feel the six-man a whole lot, like the last tag. This time it was me starting to pinpoint what I don't like about FTR. The segment where it was Dax against Mox and Dax did like three pinfalls in a row, each one different... but with no resistance from Moxley. Like he got the small package and just broke it himself so he could get up real quick and jump up to the second buckle. He was just doing stuff to do it because it looked cool, and the faceoff with everybody in the ring at the same time felt like it. It was a real choreographed do-si-do instead of a vicious brawl. I did like the Eddie/Danielson stuff. I liked Claudio gloating to the crowd every time he bailed to the outside. But this needed blood and attempted injuries or something and instead felt like a workrate match crossed with a brawl and I don't like that. 

WEDNESDAY FASHION BREAKDOWN: Let's see now... Renee was dressed like she got a part on a Marvel show. The Bucks at least got their suits laudered. Jericho can still fit into his Size M vests and that fills me with jealous rage. UPHOLSTERY MAN takes off his suit jacket and loses his own superpowers, turning into your granddad at the golf course. We discussed Ospreay on the Discord and I argued that he looks like his mom picked out his haircut from the book at the barber's, and that he should shave both his head and the beard to see just how bizarre or not it is. 

Probably the best match was really the women's match; Kris was beastly tonight. I didn't pay much attention to Orange vs. Nick Wayne. Jericho vs. Atlantis Jr. was just fine, they got the crowd into it enough for it to work. They didn't know what the Atlantida was at all but can be taught. He should probably do the spin into the drop like the Villano mask match to make it more visibly tough looking to take. Jericho actually popped off a KILLER top-rope rana that was fast and stiff as shit. 

The finale with Sting came off perfectly and that's about as good as it gets. 

• Like 3

Honestly, if they want to give Will Ospreay the rocket push while keeping him out of the title hunt for now, they should have him be smart.

Have him absolutely stuff the turn attempt by Don Callis, and then cut the following promo.

"Don, I'm not a bloody idiot. I've seen what happens to your "Family" members. I've talked to Kenny (Omega). I've talked to Chris (Jericho). I even talked to Sammy (Guevara). One of us was getting stomped into the ground tonight after the match, and because I KNOW you didn't tell me that you wanted Takeshita out, I knew I suddenly had a target on my back, ready for the knife to be stuck in. So, for once, someone's going to be one step ahead of you And if you think about getting revenge, don't. I'm a better wrestler then your family, and I'm sure as hell SMARTER then your Family is."

Then Callis goes NUTS (How DARE someone outsmart him), throwing Takeshita and Hobbs at Ospreay relentlessly, probably with Fletcher joining Ospreay to take losses in tag matches to further the feud (gotta give the heels SOMETHING), and then when a certain someone is ready, have them take out Fletcher and say "You have no tag partner now".. and Ospreay says "I was one step ahead of you AGAIN, Callis.. I called a favor in with an old enemy of mine, who wants to kick your ass as much as I do".

The Return of Kenny Omega. The place comes unglued.

• Like 4

I didn't think we'd get Sting from the rafters but when the beatdown started I thought "Wait, are they?  Nah."  But when they had the shot ready and the crowd was buzzing I was cheering.  We even got Darby taking off the Sting mask as a lovely bonus.  Say what you will about the Bucks but they're going to stooge around the best they can to make Sting's last match as entertaining as can be.

I loved the idea of the 6-man and it was overall really fun.  But after the second commercial break I couldn't help but check my phone.  Was a bit long and Curt's critique makes perfect sense to me.  I'm hoping we get a wild-ass violent sprint Sunday.  Women's match was pretty good and OC/Wayne had some nice moments.  That's about all that really jumps out to me from the episode aside from maybe Atlantis getting some national TV love.

• Like 4