DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/21 - 2/27/2024 - Rhythm of My Julia Hart

Alvarez on Adam Page:

He has to have it looked at and (it) could be a broken ankle. But it does appear to be a serious ankle injury. 

Sometimes we have people getting injured and we don't know anything about it, they don't say anything, but this guy is fighting for the world title in a little over a week so if he's got a broken ankle, I think we're going to hear about it real quick because they're going to have to come up with something. 

---

Come up with something is the obvious, Samoa Joe vs. Swerve Strickland.

Fightful Select says angle.

• Like 1

I like the idea of Wardlow's promo but the whole time I kept thinking it was too little too late.  Any chance he had to mean something in the title picture disappeared a long time ago and there's a lot that needs to be done to even think about him.  And him being with Cole's group makes it worse as he can't just ditch them as it'd be a face move and I don't know if that's where they're headed.

And while I'm not intending to be critical of things I fucking love that they're doing Meat Madness.  But much like Danielson/Akiyama I would be thrilled if they put some time on it and properly announced cool shit coming up.  And I'm not checking social media during the show (or in general) so to just say "Oh, and Tony mentioned Meat Madness!" very quickly just doesn't do it for me.  Despite the message I'm excited for both things.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Actually, I take that back. If they were dressed in their ring gear, they'd be going to the psychobilly gig. This time they were dressed like they were going out swing dancing. Maybe hitting up the Cherry Poppin' Daddies reunion show at the House of Blues. 

I was thinking the Brian Setzer Orchestra, just for a few Stray Cats songs.

• Like 4

Kind of a weak show, to me. I'm not mad I chose overtime at work instead of live viewing. Opener was good. Toni and Luther were highlights. I like Madison Rayne but that was not her night. Crowd was dead too. 

I'll be disappointed when Orange loses at the PPV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I was thinking the Brian Setzer Orchestra, just for a few Stray Cats songs.

Ruby: "I dunno. All I know is what's on Built for Speed. My mom gave me a beater copy of that when I was a kid though and it's really good."

Ange: "You'll LOVE IT! Brian throws his guitar up in the air really really high! They have a full horn section and everything, and I know you listened to ska in high school you poseur." *winks*

Ruby: *punches Ange's arm* "You're the poseur you goof, wearing those suspenders." *snaps suspender* "But if you shave your head I'm gonna kill you! Alright, hurry up and fill the flask, I wanna catch the opening bands."

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

And PLEASE AEW stop with the unprotected head butts.

Just let FTR throw pepper in his eyes, Mox will sneeze and start bleeding without even using a blade. 

Hook took a powerbomb or something right on his coccyx. It was painful looking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I haven't heard that band but they don't sound good. Haven't even heard OF them until now. The good Oi is all French anyway, just listen to Syndrome 81, Camera Silens and Rixe, and Hard Skin whenever they put out something new, you'll be good to go. There is no need for bands to mix Oi with breakdown hardcore. Fuck that shit. 

• Like 1

FTR v BCC felt like the first 20 minutes of something special. This would’ve really rocked ppl if FTR actually hit the Shatter Machine. Great square off in the back that followed. I love Butcher moonlighting as Security ( @CurtMcDirt ) Renee rules. I liked this near miss with Orange and Doc Sampson. OC v Bennett felt pitch perfect building to the Roddy bout. I think I might be the biggest Mike Bennett fan in the room. He’s a great singles stooge, and a fabulous tag wrestler. What do you say on Mike Bennett @MattD ? Dying for an FTR v Kingdom run. If Jake Hager had been dressed in a white t-shirt and blue jeans that would’ve been a huge save. I guess there's still time. As was, coming out of it we get Roddy Strong v Jake Hager. ‘Our father who art in heaven’ would be thrilled by this booking and so am I. I was an unfocused viewer for Ange/Ruby. I like the choice not to run it throughout the show. A video package is the way to go. On Rampage Baby! I’m into teasing Flair/Bucks. Tip of the hat again to McDirt for his call on Flair’s suit. Daniel Garcia/Christian promo was excellent. I love the Waynes so much! I like to think that great shot of Nick taking off the coat and revealing that shirt moves a few units. Daddy Magic getting a chance to shine is a good idea. This all did a good job letting Garcia look strong. And he nailed that final line. Really good segment. Hangman/Hook/RVD promo should have been pre-taped and given a second take. They had something, but slipped on each other. Toni squash was solid. Deonna v Madison was obviously not so. Rayne even before her injury, when she wasn’t rusty, really struggled in-ring. I hope she’s okay. What a disservice to Deonna!? WOR were unfairly criticizing her as well. Deonna’s been solid. She’s a heel playing a babyface. Toni’s a babyface playing heel. This is either a bad mistake or a set-up to do a double turn. Either way, do the double turn, please. Darby/Sting promo was really great. Very thoughtful. I loved the Wardlow promo. It showed some strong capabilities with the mic going forward. It’s clearly been a big missing element in his game. Meat Madness ya say!?! Jay White/Asses/Assclaimed promo made me want to see Jay escape ‘the new Codyverse’ or whatever you call this Assclaimed vacuum. I trust White/Asses will find a way out, but I also hold out hope for the talented Bowens and Castor too. They were fun, but they’ve run their course being meaningless light sports entertainers. Bowens catchphrase is locked to ffwd option on my remote. Onto better things, the Don Callis promo as always was a gift to the show. Sammy v Hobbs is on the path to becoming the new Swerve v Keith Lee. RVD/Hook/Hanger v Joe/Cage/Swerve felt like it could fall apart at any moment. I’m not surprised somebody got injured. Hook reminded everybody how valuable it would be for him to be getting reps on Honor Club – for fuck sake. Van Dam continues to bring his positivity to AEW. So thankful for the ‘Walk’ entrance music. Bring in Alfonso already? I hate Page being injured if that turns out to be the case. Hate it. But I can’t say I don’t love a Swerve v Joe singles bout. I liked this show. The failures were interesting and much fun was had in the opener and on the microphones. AE-Rubba-DubDub!

• Like 4

Just now, HarryArchieGus said:

I like the choice not to run it throughout the show.

God, if this were WWE we'd have a camera following them to the restaurant in the car, them ordering their meal, the waiter spilling water on Ruby, Saraya showing up with the steak and smashing it in Ange's face, etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, SovietShooter said:

That was all on Madison Rayne. Purrazzo was doing a basic leg sweep/flat liner, and Rayne took it like a DDT. Rayne looked awful the entire match before that too, honestly.  Not sure how she is one of the coaches...

20 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Yeah, Madison Rayne looked really awful and wrestled like she was underwater. Which caused Purrazzo to have to slow down too.

Those who can, do.  Those who can’t, teach.

Every Rayne match I’ve seen in AEW and ROH has been absolute shit.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

She’s a heel playing a babyface. Toni’s a babyface playing heel.

"Timeless" Toni is a straight up heel gimmick, and Toni has been working it like a heel (mostly), but it is just over and getting cheered. Sure, she does some stuff to get a pop, but it is a heel gimmick.  She has a manservant and a lackey she treats like crap.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, SovietShooter said:

"Timeless" Toni is a straight up heel gimmick, and Toni has been working it like a heel (mostly), but it is just over and getting cheered. Sure, she does some stuff to get a pop, but it is a heel gimmick.  She has a manservant and a lackey she treats like crap.

It's a comedy gimmick. The heel elements are endearing. The getting cheered part suggests to me babyface. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I haven't heard that band but they don't sound good. Haven't even heard OF them until now. The good Oi is all French anyway, just listen to Syndrome 81, Camera Silens and Rixe, and Hard Skin whenever they put out something new, you'll be good to go. There is no need for bands to mix Oi with breakdown hardcore. Fuck that shit. 

Not to derail the thread too much but yeah, I don't know what the newish Oi trend is about. However, The Chisel is a new Oi band I really can get behind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Alvarez on Adam Page:

He has to have it looked at and (it) could be a broken ankle. But it does appear to be a serious ankle injury. 

Sometimes we have people getting injured and we don't know anything about it, they don't say anything, but this guy is fighting for the world title in a little over a week so if he's got a broken ankle, I think we're going to hear about it real quick because they're going to have to come up with something. 

---

Come up with something is the obvious, Samoa Joe vs. Swerve Strickland.

Fightful Select says angle.

Jerry Lynn is flipping out on Twitter about "that's ruining a cliffhanger" to ask if it's an injury or not. I don't get why they're doing that the last Dynamite before the PPV. But whatever, I just caught Dynamite the one week I could watch it on TBS.

• Like 1

Alvarez update on Hangman Adam Page:

"Hangman is not hurt. 

He worked an ankle injury. And the reason that he worked the ankle injury is because he has something going on in his personal life and he may not be able to work the pay-per-view.

If he can't work the pay-per-view then this is the cover story as to why he can't work the pay-per-view, he injured his ankle.

Virtually nobody knew about it and I don't know if even the people in the match knew that he was going to do this. 

There were people very close to Hangman who even this morning didn't know what was going on. 

I presume that him and Tony talked about it but I can't tell you that for sure. 

The point of the story is, he is okay. He may work the pay-per-view, he may not work the pay-per-view and I don't know if we're going to know whether he's going to work the pay-per-view or not until maybe the last minute. 

I don't know what the personal issues are but they are there and that's what's going on."

---

Personal issues suck. More important than a wrestling match. Best wishes to Hangman Adam Page.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Not to derail the thread too much but yeah, I don't know what the newish Oi trend is about. However, The Chisel is a new Oi band I really can get behind.

The Chisel have Oi elements but are really just a straight punk band. I mean Oi is just straight punk anyway but they have actual songcraft going on. Oi feels far too restrictive of a label for such a good band. 

New album coming soon!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hammerva said:

The only reason to book Madison Rayne in 2024 is because she wrestled Deonna a ton of times in IMPACT.  With a roster filled to the brim with talent in catering it is going to look bad

Surprisingly they did not and only had one Impact match back in 2016 before Deonna was signed and this was their first since a 2017 ROH match.

Felt random since it was Madison's first match since a one off appearance on ROH back in August. I feel bad for Madison since I thought she was really good at a couple different points in her career but more often than not now, people will see her recent years and conclude she's no good at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SovietShooter said:

It's so weird and backwards because traditionally, you book it as the heel champ and face challenger have these tune up matches where the heel has trouble winning and has to cheat, while the face looks awesome and dominant.  That way, the PPV match is built in such a way that the fans think the face challenger has a good shot at winning.  Instead, Toni beats her opponent in two minutes with a clean submission while Deonna has an awful match against an unranked opponent and goes two segments before she wins.

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

“Nobody gets higher than RVD” Tony Shiavone ladies and gentlemen 

and immediate cackling from Tazz and Ex

The "RVD and Hook smoke a lot of weed" jokes were all over the place.  Taz said something about Joe being really tense and Excalibur said, "I bet Hook and RVD have something that can help with that."

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Chisel have Oi elements but are really just a straight punk band. I mean Oi is just straight punk anyway but they have actual songcraft going on. Oi feels far too restrictive of a label for such a good band. 

New album coming soon!

A friend of mine texted me about The Chisel a couple weeks ago and about 30 seconds into the first song I listened to I said “oh, they’re like The Business, ok.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1