DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 2/19 - 2/25/2024 - In Those Hollywood Nights...

Dolfan in NYC

Caught way more of this than usual.

Them using the telestrator now is ridiculous (and it's just because it's McAfee of course). They missed a big opportunity to really WWE it up and slo-mo Solo's spike moving towards the throat, and then just like their usual replays hitting the play button and letting the actual impact speed by so fast you can't catch it. 

Seth stole a blind guy's shades? 

Jelly Roll, FUCK OFF. 

It was pretty cool that they let a team actually support each other without turning on each other through an entire battle royale. Amazing, really. I'd like to know who was the agent for that match.

The main was good except for Jey's complete lack of a moveset. I mean, he doesn't need to be Davey Richards out there, but when all you have is

1. Samoan drop

2. Superkick

3. Splash

4. Spear

and the rest is just punch-kick, you are really working with... nothing. And you aren't Dusty or Hogan either so lets not compare apples to oranges. Your sucky spear being used five times in a row shouldn't be able to crack GUNTHER, sorry. 

Oh, and god isn't Truth a national treasure? All the dated references, the staring at the heart-hands and following them like it's a tracking device, this stuff belongs on a comp somewhere. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hot damn that was quality tonight. Opening match was fantastic and peak TV wrestling — a perfect length right before the interference came. Drew and Cody are going to bring the house down at a PPV main event sooner than later. 

Truthline was the funniest I have ever intentionally laughed while watching wrestling. Plenty of times I have laughed at things I was not supposed to laugh at. But this was just absurdity at its great. Not sure what I liked better — the This Is Us reference or the “Pony” shout-out, The 4 on 4 sprint after was fun.

They have done such an awesome job with those quick little segments. The New Day one tonight really stood out to me — made those guys look deadly serious and badass in setting up the No DQ match.

I missed Gable vs. Ivar but sounds like that tore the house down.

That main event was fucking bananas good. Gunther’s the best TV worker in the world right now. As much as I love OC, Gunther just has everything right now. I was wondering when we were going to get to Jey/Jimmy for WM and here we are. I loved the finish of this so much, good fake-outs to make us think Jey still had a shot. 

• Like 2

Watched bits of Raw. The six women segment was sorta bad and Nia Jax looked like she might have injured Becky Lynch (or that was the appearance).

Chad Gable and Ivar was decent but the crowd was surprisingly dead for it. Chad Gable really should just change it up a bit and lean more into the Kurt Angle-isms (he and Dominik Mysterio would have a perfect Eddie Guerrero vs. Kurt Angle match if that ever happens).

I'm so over Gunther at this point. Problem is he had a great match with Jay Uso despite Uso's very limited moveset (although Gunther's moveset was a limited too). It's amazing how he's conditioned the audience to basically respond to a chop and build a match around a chop.

See, there is a difference between having a moveset and dumbing it down and just not having a moveset and trying to punch above your head with it. Some people, it just doesn't play. The first one worked and the second one didn't, but somehow the first was so good they got a decent match out of it. 

In retrospect though, it kinda looks like GUNTHER almost got rolled by a jabroni. 

I missed the first hour so I'll have to go find that Cody/Drew match. Second hour on was fine. R-Truth is great at what he does and they should really consider giving him a singles run. More so than just being comedy.

Gable vs. Ivar was a damn good match even if the crowd was ehh towards it.

GUNTHER vs. Jey was a good match. It is amazing how much of a match Gunther can do just around a chop. I had a sneaking suspicion that Jimmy would cost Jey the match and he did. I wonder who finally takes the title off Gunther. Who ever it will be shall be a huge star.

9 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

GUNTHER vs. Jey was a good match. It is amazing how much of a match Gunther can do just around a chop. I had a sneaking suspicion that Jimmy would cost Jey the match and he did. I wonder who finally takes the title off Gunther. Who ever it will be shall be a huge star.

The WWE is starting to run into the danger that Gunther will end up like Roman Reigns and never lose the title. That may turn people off from watching WWE (beyond what's going on outside of wrestling). So I guess Gunther can end Reigns' streak, hold three titles, then whoever can beat Gunther will be a REALLY HUGE star.

Drew/Cody was good as expected. Dug the Bloodline interference and the clear mixed feelings Drew had with it despite taking advantage. 

The women's battle royal was surprisingly solid and did a good job of putting a returning Raquel over all the way to the win. Glad to see Raquel back. This felt like the first time she was booked right in a long time.

The Truth interview was wonderfully dumb as I hoped for. That man is a treasure. The Truth/Miz/DIY vs. Judgement Day tag that came a little later was solid. Truth looked great in that finishing stretch against Priest.

Becky's promo was going fine until the typical everyone interrupts part happened. This is one thing they really need to leave behind as it just bloats talking segments and rarely leaves anyone coming across all too well by the end. Skipped around to the brawling. I kind of love and hate nia coming out and so soundly destroying everyone. Doesn't leave the EC participants looking great, but Nia arguably needs stuff like these for the extra heat and cred. Its also speaks to the mistake of everyone but Raquel overlooking her for Rhea or their own glory.

Chad/Ivar was pretty solid though the crowd response could have been better. 

Jey/Gunther was damn good as expected. The early massacre of Jey was great, and they did a fine job of having Jey build up momentum while Gunther still presented as a beast. The Jimmy interference was expected but worked well into the finish.

Dug all the matches a good deal and the segments were mostly solid. Pretty solid show, especially for Jey/Gunther.

• Like 3

They are trying really, really hard to make Jey Uso, Singles Superstar, a thing. It's just a shame he's proven to be completely average whenever given the opportunity to show something. Some people are just better suited to being in a tag team.

Michael Cole's "OK" during Michael Chandler's promo killed me

• Like 2

I'm not as down on Nia Jax as some are, but it was certainly a choice to have her nuke all 6 Elimination Chamber participants.  I get making her look strong for Rhea, but that just seemed overkill to me.

I can't wait for New Day v Imperium next week.

Starting off hot with Rhodes/McIntyre! Drew's deadlift powerbomb is rad. Solo left Jimmy hanging though, that was cold

Interesting that Andrade is keeping the el Idolo

Holy shit, they gave McAfee a telestrator. Wonder how long that one will stick

I don't expect WWE to drop the number of ads, all I can hope is that the ads on Netflix will be less intrusive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we somehow get grandfathered into the ad-free tier

A battle royal is always a good chance for a break. Fun finishing stretch, good to see Raquel back. That's my favorite Shayna Baszler gear

Really good promo from Becky before everyone else filed in

Gable/Ivar was alright, they've done better and this feud needs to be over since we've already got the payoff of Chad suplexing a big dude

I'm into serious New Day

Uso/Gunther was good shit but Jey isn't really at that level in singles matches yet. One of his spears was barely a shoulder block to the gut. Jey and Jimmy need to settle their score so I'm fine with reheating that for Mania. I'm calling for Zayn/Gunther next

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Caught way more of this than usual.

Them using the telestrator now is ridiculous (and it's just because it's McAfee of course). They missed a big opportunity to really WWE it up and slo-mo Solo's spike moving towards the throat, and then just like their usual replays hitting the play button and letting the actual impact speed by so fast you can't catch it. 

Seth stole a blind guy's shades? 

[b]Jelly Roll, FUCK OFF.[/b] 

It was pretty cool that they let a team actually support each other without turning on each other through an entire battle royale. Amazing, really. I'd like to know who was the agent for that match.

The main was good except for Jey's complete lack of a moveset. I mean, he doesn't need to be Davey Richards out there, but when all you have is

1. Samoan drop

2. Superkick

3. Splash

4. Spear

and the rest is just punch-kick, you are really working with... nothing. And you aren't Dusty or Hogan either so lets not compare apples to oranges. Your sucky spear being used five times in a row shouldn't be able to crack GUNTHER, sorry. 

Oh, and god isn't Truth a national treasure? All the dated references, the staring at the heart-hands and following them like it's a tracking device, this stuff belongs on a comp somewhere. 

lol @ the jelly roll line totally agree

Edited by FourPostMassacre
  • Like 1

Only glanced up on occasion at the Cody/McIntyre match (which I'm sure was solid enough) but I did catch a really killer Liger bomb that Drew peeled off (and of course was called a "sitting powerbomb" or something equally stupid). 

Axiom/Frazer v Chase U was fun. Wrong team won, of course.

After last week I expected Crusifino to join the Di Angelo family as consigliere, why's he hanging out with Dijak telling him about all the crime he's doing? (I do kind of like Tony D deciding that they need to stop being wacky Fat Tony-ass mobsters and put business first.)

Doesn't feel like they're calling Perez up any time soon, I'm expecting her to get the belt at Roadblock or SAD and have a heel run thru the summer after the last couple weeks--though if she does get drafted it's almost certainly to SD to play off Stratton eliminating her in the Rumble and keep her away from the giants.

Poor Shotzi.

Oba/Lexis was fine.

Roxanne/Wren was decent, felt mostly like a showcase for the more angry Roxanne which is good.

Briggs/Jensen was good. Felt like the best Jensen has looked in a singles match. Was a nice showcase for him and general hoss fight

Jacy/Arianna was alright while it lasted but ultimately was more about the angle of Jacy's more heelish tendencies clashing with Thea. Was weird to see them bring this back up again after Jacy slid firmly into face territory with the saving Chase U story. Arianna being Jacy's opponent and the voice of reason to Thea earlier in the night when talking relationship advice was also a strange choice given Arianna has firmly been in hel territory since her debut. I don't hate any of this per say, but it would be a shame to see Thea and Jacy's friendship rushed to an end. They have a good dynamic in and out of the ring.

Axiom/Frazer vs. Chase/Duke was damn good as expected. Was pleasantly surprised to see Chase U take the win though the Good Brothers attack at the end made it feel like it didn't really matter who won.

Hayes's vid explaining his true feelings on Trick and why he attacked was good. Would not be surprised if Hayes won the NXT title back just so Trick can get his revenge and crowning on a big stage Wrestlemania weekend.

Lash/Kelani was solid. The two gel well together with their opposing styles. Lash has come a long way from where she was 1-2 years ago. She regularly looks good-great as a dominating force.

Shotzi/Lyra was going well until poor Shotzi's injury occurred. Always amazing how these things happen with the stuff that seems least likely to injure a wrestler compared to their usual offense and bumping. Lash being the choice to make random match with Lyra is a decent sign of how good they must feel Lahs is. She and Lyra didn't put on a barn burner or anything, but they got something ok out despite not being used to each other at all. I did like them adding Roxanne's tantrum in back when she realized another wrestler jumped the line ahead of her to challenge Lyra.

Two standout matches in Briggs/Jensen and Chase U vs. Axiom/ Frazer. The rest was generally enjoyable or more angle based. Oddly enough I might have enjoyed Lash/Lelani the most, but I'm a sucker for power vs. speed matches. The segments were mostly solid and did some interesting moves forward for a lot of people. Solid show even with Shotzi's injury bringing things down a bit.

One thing I didn't even think about til the show ended: they haven't so much as MENTIONED Roadblock, which is less than 2 weeks out. For the big Tuesday shows they usually start hammering the name and theme song a month out and the title matches set at least 2 weeks before, and while it's obvious we're getting Chase U v Wolf Dogs, Melo/Ilja III and Roxan ne/Lyra II, Ava's still talking like there's nothing on the horizon when making contender matches etc.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

One thing I didn't even think about til the show ended: they haven't so much as MENTIONED Roadblock, which is less than 2 weeks out. For the big Tuesday shows they usually start hammering the name and theme song a month out and the title matches set at least 2 weeks before, and while it's obvious we're getting Chase U v Wolf Dogs, Melo/Ilja III and Roxan ne/Lyra II, Ava's still talking like there's nothing on the horizon when making contender matches etc.

Ilja mentioned defending against Melo at Roadblock, but that was it. Was starting to think it was 3 weeks away with the lack of promotion. 

• Like 1