DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

With all the Rock things happening in wrestling, I’ve gotta mention that he’s doing ads for Acorns (which I keep seeing because MTV Classic doesn’t have many advertisers) and that business seems like a racket meant to manipulate dumb people under the guise of making them think they’re being smart with money.

Eh. I never felt like Acorns was scammy, but folks never read the fine print on when they would pull the money out of your account. It's just investing in mutual funds based on risk tolerance. With the amounts you won't get rich (spoiler alert, most people never do with the market) but it's a larger gain than leaving it in your checking account.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

On the other side of the spectrum, John Cena is doing SuperBowl ads for a gambling company. So, fuck ‘em both?

John Cena did an appearance on Colbert and there was no word on Vince or anything about that topic. And considering that the questions are pre-agreed on, you can't blame Colbert here. So yes, John Cena sucks.

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Because they have their own promotion to either support or gripe about, depending  on their level of sugar-flavored water drinking.

Edited by odessasteps

That is an impressive level of projecting you have going on.

Why is it so hard for you to accept the reality of the situation? You’ve made about every excuse possible, but this is maybe the lamest.

I guess we'll never know how much Netflix would have paid for Raw if Cody went over at WM39. But the machine just rolls on without regards to their decisionmaking and the "millionaire who should be a billionaire" secondguessing can't be stopped (I think now it's "billionaire who should be a multi-billionaire")

The Cody thing just feels very slacktivismy at this moment. That could change.

3665 signatures on Change.org for a "Justice for Cody Rhodes" petition so this problem should be solved in a day or two.

59 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I guess we'll never know how much Netflix would have paid for Raw if Cody went over at WM39. But the machine just rolls on without regards to their decisionmaking and the "millionaire who should be a billionaire" secondguessing can't be stopped (I think now it's "billionaire who should be a multi-billionaire")

Actually now it's "billionaire who should be in jail".

Edited by Robert S
  • Like 10

On 2/2/2024 at 8:27 PM, odessasteps said:

Lenny Montana, who played Luca Brasi in the Godfather.

On a related note, Woody Strode wrestled before acting picked up for him. Even wrestling Gorgeous George in the 50s

6 minutes ago, Robert S said:

Actually now it's "billionaire who should be in jail".

The sheer amount of asset hiding that Vince is gonna have to do to pull off a "I can't pay this judgment, I don't have money" claim is gonna be something else. If there's ever a time to sell Vince worthless NFTs to hide his money, it's now.

We're close to 18 months since the first resignation/retirement and boy has Vince made a lot of money since July 2022. Might say something about how much people with money value things like the WWE. If Vince being terrible didn't change much...

One semi-related internet thing I noticed is Meltzer taking a break from QTing every freaking reply to him to tweet out "I will say anyone mad for Cody (who is going to end up fine when all is said and done) above being mad at Vince is beyond weird. It's almost psychotic really"

and quite a few of the responses are a version of "I can be mad about both things".. which.. yeah, I guess that's a solid enough answer. But some people might raise an eyebrow at that answer.

I'm sorta quizzical about the whole concept about being outwardly bad at bad wrestling booking unless you're putting down money to see the bad booking in person (or you're somehow paying more than the cost of Peacock to watch it on TV). 

The annual cost of Peacock ($60ish) is barely more than the highest wrestling PPV costs from like 15 years ago to put it one way. I guess we can allocate money however to define how much of the money spent on Peacock is spent for specific WWE PPVs.

But if you're not paying much for it and you're seeing a show with bullshit finishes.. then being disappointed or just bemused might work a little better than being mad. Like it's the difference between watching your kids be destructive idiots and costing you money, and watching someone else's kids destroy other people's stuff?

If the WWE makes bad booking decisions, it won't cause a general recession, so it's sorta small potatoes. But there's probably a message board out there which covers Federal Reserve news like it's wrestling, so..

We've lost Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes, Seth Rollins vs. CM Punk at WrestleMania XL. I've been sick of Brock Lesnar long before the Wall Street Journal article/lawsuit. You can't bring him back for Gunther at WrestleMania XL. This WrestleMania feels cursed like WrestleMania XXXII. Seth Rollins is hurt, CM Punk is hurt and Kevin Owens has a broken foot.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

We've lost Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes, Seth Rollins vs. CM Punk at WrestleMania XL. I've been sick of Brock Lesnar long before the Wall Street Journal article/lawsuit. You can't bring him back for Gunther at WrestleMania XL. This WrestleMania feels cursed like WrestleMania XXXII. Seth Rollins is hurt, CM Punk is hurt and Kevin Owens has a broken foot.

Just wait for when new AEW Champion Hangman Page gets speared in half by Brock at Revolution!

Bret Hart:

"I seem to be as revered or popular as I’ve ever been - and it’s maybe because of the salutes I’ve been getting from guys like (CM) Punk, and FTR, different wrestlers have mentioned my name, or do something that I did in the ring as a nod or a salute to me, and I appreciate all that. I think CM Punk alone has done a lot to remind wrestling fans to take a look back at some of the stuff that I was doing, and how good it was.

And I think it’s starting to stand out now where it’s like - in my honest opinion, without trying to sound too boastful, they’ve pulled the curtain back on wrestling so much. So now we know the whole thing’s a show, and they’re just really good physical actors, and that is what it is.

But you watch my wrestling and you go, jeez, he was the best. I think I made it look more real than anybody all the time. I made your stuff look good, I made my own stuff look good, nothing looked rehearsed. There’s so much I think in today’s wrestling that’s so badly rehearsed, over and over."

---

Bret Hart deserves all the flowers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Bret Hart:

"I seem to be as revered or popular as I’ve ever been - and it’s maybe because of the salutes I’ve been getting from guys like (CM) Punk, and FTR, different wrestlers have mentioned my name, or do something that I did in the ring as a nod or a salute to me, and I appreciate all that. I think CM Punk alone has done a lot to remind wrestling fans to take a look back at some of the stuff that I was doing, and how good it was.

And I think it’s starting to stand out now where it’s like - in my honest opinion, without trying to sound too boastful, they’ve pulled the curtain back on wrestling so much. So now we know the whole thing’s a show, and they’re just really good physical actors, and that is what it is.

But you watch my wrestling and you go, jeez, he was the best. I think I made it look more real than anybody all the time. I made your stuff look good, I made my own stuff look good, nothing looked rehearsed. There’s so much I think in today’s wrestling that’s so badly rehearsed, over and over."

---

I love Bret, I truly do. And I largely agree with what he's saying. But it's funny to me that he's always the one saying it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Bret Hart:

---

This is why I think the Cash vs. Dax match is the worst match I've seen in the last three years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I love Bret, I truly do. And I largely agree with what he's saying. But it's funny to me that he's always the one saying it.

No one loves Bret more than Bret. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I like Bret a lot but I have never watched a Bret Hart match and thought "This looks real."

Bret has though and that's all that matters.

My favorite part which may have been omitted is SOMEHOW being able to shit on Goldberg. We can always rely on Bret to do that.