DVDVR Message Board

2024 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

RIPPA

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Thought he had already died

Yeah, I was sure he was gone in the pandemic.  Guess I'm glad he wasn't and sad he is.

I too have this weird Mandela effect memory of seeing a news story using the “motherscratcher” clip from Raising Arizona so,e time in the 2020s. I wonder if it was being referenced for some other reason like he….did something that none of us remember?

I guess if he was still working it could be for him getting cast in something and it wasn’t the “news” so much as like twitter. All that stuff blends together now. 

while I’m typing this I remember that when Trey Wilson died the clip they all played was from Bull Durham not Raising Arizona an I kinda think one news source would have had the vision. 

Edited by piranesi

So that's why I got a totally unexplanatory "love this guy" post on FB from someone today

Walsh was fucking great. If you think you thought he was the living face of evil in Blood Simple, go watch him in Straight Time playing Dustin Hoffman-as-Eddie Bunker's rotten-ass parole officer. You'll wanna throw your shoe through the screen. And what a work ethic, the dude made an average of 3-5 film roles a year until 2000, on top of TV appearances. In 1986 he made it into six movies and six TV shows! In 2019 he was back to five movies and seven episodes of a TV series plus the two Righteous Gemstones eps. Fuck, man.

RIP

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 4:08 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I believe the suicide or one of them was Kagney Linn Karter, and that's a pretty big name in the industry. She had been suffering from mental health issues sincing retiring and was barely recognizable in the picture I saw.

She was living in Ohio and had started a pole dancing school. 

Emily Willis is the girl in a coma. 

It's a scary time to be an addict. I've lost count of how many people I know or have been acquainted with who have overdosed in the last few years. I count myself as extremely lucky I wasn't one of them. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So that's why I got a totally unexplanatory "love this guy" post on FB from someone today

Walsh was fucking great. If you think you thought he was the living face of evil in Blood Simple, go watch him in Straight Time playing Dustin Hoffman-as-Eddie Bunker's rotten-ass parole officer. You'll wanna throw your shoe through the screen. And what a work ethic, the dude made an average of 3-5 film roles a year until 2000, on top of TV appearances. In 1986 he made it into six movies and six TV shows! In 2019 he was back to five movies and seven episodes of a TV series plus the two Righteous Gemstones eps. Fuck, man.

RIP

Straight Time is so goddamned good.

• Like 2

Chance Perdomo, from Gen V and the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, has died aged 27. Motorcycle crash.

• Sad 2

RIP to Joe Flaherty, best known for SCTV (where his recurring roles included station owner Guy Caballero, newscaster and kids' horror host "Count" Floyd Robertson, and Vic Hedges) and as Mr. Weir on Freaks and Geeks.

• Sad 2

Saw just now that Martin Short announced a fundraising drive last month to get a FT caregiver for Joe, who was in "failing health."

Went on an SCTV binge a few weeks back ... all cast members were great, but Joe, Eugene Levy and Andrea Martin were the rocks of the show. I think they were there for every episode and could be the utility players that such shows need.

Now I want to see a wrestling company adopt a Guy Caballero gimmick with a guy who only uses a wheelchair for "respect" and simply walks around because he can.

Also a shame that Netflix never released its SCTV tribute while Joe was with us.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2024 at 9:26 AM, Zimbra said:

Fuck, Lou Gossett Jr died at age 87.

It's an Iron Eagle weekend, I guess.

The OG of bringing a movie’s quality up just knowing he was in it. 

A good example being I have seen Diggstown more times than I care to admit. 

10 hours ago, colonial said:

Saw just now that Martin Short announced a fundraising drive last month to get a FT caregiver for Joe, who was in "failing health."

I wonder what some of these fools are doing with their money - and I mean the likes of Short - that he couldn't just pay it himself.

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I wonder what some of these fools are doing with their money - and I mean the likes of Short - that he couldn't just pay it himself.

He obviously thought Joe would pull himself up by the bootstraps.

Joe got the last laugh.

On 4/2/2024 at 9:45 AM, colonial said:

Now I want to see a wrestling company adopt a Guy Caballero gimmick with a guy who only uses a wheelchair for "respect" and simply walks around because he can.

this would be a solid Vince McMahon gimmick if not for

1) Vince likely having no idea what the fuck SCTV was

2) Vince's current/future legal problems