DVDVR Message Board

2024 VIDEO GAMES CATCH ALL THREAD

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Microsoft is putting together a bid to buy Valve, reportedly in the $16B range.

We should give the FTC's antitrust division nukes.

E: I am a fool who fell for an unsourced story but I'm standing by the nukes thing.

I have a good friend who works for Microsoft, so I'm against nuking Redmond.

Somewhat.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I can't tell if this is breaking news or somebody posting a historically interesting story from the '80s.

That was going to be my joke.  A tweet from 1982. 

Warner Bros. Games owns most of the defunct Midway catalog. I always liked Midway more over all the other western developers.

Anyway, I always primarily prefer playing Japanese retro instead. The retro European games are what I am least interested in

On 5/17/2024 at 4:35 PM, odessasteps said:

I have a streak of over 3770 days playing MPQ (yes, more than 10 years)  so if you want tips, let me know. 

I feel like an idiot, but I cannot figure out how to open up campaigns past the prologue. I'm level 16, gotten all the rewards for each part.

The Paper Mario remake's OST is stellar. I know the GameCube version of the OST is a classic, but the orchestrated version in the remake is incredible.

If I were ranking party members in Mario RPGs, Goombella would be second on my list, right behind Geno.

I finished Pentiment today. While that game definitely is not for everyone, it was undoubtedly for me. One thing that helped was that that game basically takes place where I am from. The town Tassing itself is fictitious, but the game puts it in Upper Bavaria, closest market being Mittenwald and lying along the Via Claudia Augusta (the last two things are a bit contradictory as Mittenwald lies about 30 km east of where the Via Claudia Augusta went), which puts it maybe 100 miles away from my hometown. Also my homeregion used to be very rural until maybe 150 years ago and even in the generation of my grandparents basically everybody had some farmland they tended to, even if it only was some potatoes, beans and goats. Ergo even if the game takes place 500 years ago, there is a lot of things I can directly reference. It's really wild that a game like this was made by a major US studio, basically because Josh Sawyer majored in history with his interest being 16th century "Germany" (Holy Roman Empire, I guess).

There is a lot of things the game does right like the art-style and characters that feel real so even if there are dozens of them, they are easily distinguishable. The writing and the storytelling is great, putting constant moral problems for you to deal with, makes every part of the game feel important. The resolution of the mystery feels right as well, which is not always the easiest thing to do in stories like this. I shed quite some tears in the final act, especially

Spoiler

at the death of Claus as his end reminded me of the death of my father a couple of months ago. He was also bedridden, eating less and less and slowly drifting and dying at home (though he did not pass during a conversation, he was not able to speak for his last day or two).

If there is one thing to criticize it would be the navigation. Especially in the first act, you spend a lot of time running between Tassing and the abbey, running through the same 10 screens over and over again. A fast-travel system would have helped.

Anyway, if you like point and click games and/or are interested in the early modern era, a game that contains a multi page bibliography for historical sources in the credits sounds appealing to you, don't miss out on this.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

DEVIL BLADE REBOOT [4]
Shootemups were a genre that earned a parody as scornful as bullet hell games. As the genre wore on, they became less games about shooting things and more games about collecting things, be they lives, powerups, medals, or whatever else. There was ambiguity about how to push the genre forward which left everything primed for Cave to come in and do what they did, making the shooting part of shootemups ancillary to tracing lines with a pen through prismatic fields of dots. And now, sitting at the opposite end of 20 years of that shit, we've come to a fork in the road. One side of the fork is Vampire Survivors and it's ilk: the full lobotomic removal of the agency of play, replaced by the stockpiling of slot machine assets to take you to deeper Nevada brigs. Devil Blade Reboot shines gloriously on the road less travelled.

I'm not going to claim Devil Blade is the best example of what directions are left to push shootemups. That is ZeroRanger. What Devil Blade is, is a punk rock volume reminder of The Point. It asks, "Do you know what's fun about flying a ship full of bullets and bombs on a progressive metal suicide mission?" And it answers before anyone can think of a joke or a denial: "EVERYTHING."

The fixation on The Point informs the whole task. The ship is called The Shining. No model number. No time for revisions. All that counts is that it kills, and there are kills to be done. The enemy talks back to you in terms of a God's punishment. You are to play the role of Resilience, the role you should've been playing this whole time. The ship is loaded with two guns, and describes them only by function: Narrow and Wide. You have bombs. You can also get shields. Bombs do what it sounds like: kill everything on screen. Shields do what they sound like: Protect you, once. Bombs also have the benefit of giving you a shield when you use them. All that matters is that everything dies, and Resilience demands they die first. If you kill absolutely everything in a stage, you get a bonus, because That Is The Point.

In wisdom, the developer understands that rewards stacked on top of rewards are amplified, and in desire of removing the baubles of old, the player increases the score simply by playing like a fucking lunatic. The closer The Shining is to its prey, the higher the multiplier, from 2x to 4x. And every #x adds up to a meter, shown as a raw digit. Once that digit crosses 100, a beast snarls and the word "BERSERK" lights up. Those 2x kills become 10x, the 3x become 15x, the 4x become 20x. A small white bar begins emptying, but once the bar empties, it doesnt end berserk mode: it simply takes 100 off the value. So, if you can push the value above 200, when the timer ticks over, surprise! It's still Berserk time. And the way you do that is to Kill, Recklessly, Constantly. That Is The Point.

Or, you can convert one of those bombs, rare and precious as they are, into a Boost by holding it. I like to believe I'm shoving the bomb into my fucking mouth and eating force. It shoves the meter to 500%, increases your damage, and puts a giant countdown clock around your ship that you couldn't ignore if you tried. You want to gamble? Here you go. Don't waste it. Waste THEM. THAT'S THE POINT.

A lot of interactive entertainment and digital toys are going to come out this year. Devil Blade Reboot is a Fucking Video Game. Maybe as those markets start crashlanding, love-fueled little ships like this will start launching their own suicide missions into hearts obsessed with the grotesque parodies of unloved gods. There is a point to being alive, and it's to Be Alive.

On this site here, it's being reported that P2P online play for several PS3 games are currently down and no one can connect to play online. There hasn't been an announcement from PlayStation of a closure, much less maintenance or an outage. I realize that the PS3 is no longer being supported and in the past there have been attempts to shutdown the PlayStation Store on PS3 that got rescinded. 

Hopefully, this is a temporary issue. PlayStation accounts on PS3 / Vita are still able to login and still able to sync trophies, so who knows what's going on. 

There's been speculation as to the cause that I won't get into here.

39 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

On this site here, it's being reported that P2P online play for several PS3 games are currently down and no one can connect to play online. There hasn't been an announcement from PlayStation of a closure, much less maintenance or an outage. I realize that the PS3 is no longer being supported and in the past there have been attempts to shutdown the PlayStation Store on PS3 that got rescinded. 

Hopefully, this is a temporary issue. PlayStation accounts on PS3 / Vita are still able to login and still able to sync trophies, so who knows what's going on. 

There's been speculation as to the cause that I won't get into here.

Lol, PS3 PSN was down for awhile (few hours) a few weeks back and people did the same thing. Rumors spread that PS3 store was being shut down.  Ended up being a technical hiccup. This is probably the same.  PS3 PSN still has close to 2 million active leaders, plus however many people still play PS3 but don’t log on to PSN regularly.  Odds are quite good that any shutdown of the PS3 services will come with a formal announcement. Gaming has way too many entitled conspiracy theorists.

8 minutes ago, The Old-Fashioned Gamer said:

Lol, PS3 PSN was down for awhile (few hours) a few weeks back and people did the same thing. Rumors spread that PS3 store was being shut down.  Ended up being a technical hiccup. This is probably the same.  PS3 PSN still has close to 2 million active leaders, plus however many people still play PS3 but don’t log on to PSN regularly.  Odds are quite good that any shutdown of the PS3 services will come with a formal announcement. Gaming has way too many entitled conspiracy theorists.

Yeah, I haven't been bothered that much lately, if you've been seeing the movie discussion thread for the past several months. 😉

I regret to inform you that the revived Multiversus is pretty good. The PVE mode relies on text cutscenes to keep the price down, but it's fun minute to minute and I like how much thought they put into team play, with things like Diana's lasso being an attack that can also pull a partner back from getting knocked off the stage. It's probably the most enjoyable Smash clone I've tried since the Turtles game for Wii and PS2.

I watched Creed and Breeze play it the other day. It’s funny to see Cartoony Jason Voorhees as a character playing with Bugs Bunny and The Iron Giant.

• Like 1

Got through Tunic with the platinum, just a lovely little game! There's no real incentive for NG+ so maybe I'll play it again on PS4. 

Started Dredge, and I'm loving that, too. Viva small/indy games~!!

I just got to the point in Ghost of Tsushima where I legit said out loud “Oh No.” 

Spoiler

Who wants the family heirlooms of Lady Masato, since her husband is dead. Or is he? 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 9:11 AM, Raziel said:

If this gets me reimagined versions of Night Stalker and Star Strike, I'm all for this.

on the ol' good news/bad news front:

A remake of Night Stalker was announced for the Intellivision Amico game system back in 2020. The Amico trademark/system is not included in the sale to Atari. The Amico is also unlikely to ever actually release. 
https://screenrant.com/night-stalker-remake-amico-gameplay-release-date/

8 hours ago, twiztor said:

A remake of Night Stalker was announced for the Intellivision Amico game system back in 2020. The Amico trademark/system is not included in the sale to Atari. The Amico is also unlikely to ever actually release. 

Yea I was about to say, it probably wasn't included because it was the worst video game console idea of the last 20 years. It makes the Ouya look like a genius product.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

Well the good news is, that remake was by Digital Eclipse, which has also recently been absorbed by Atari, so with luck they retain the rights to port it and drop it in the inevitable Intellivision anthology they are absolutely going to do for next year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea I was about to say, it probably wasn't included because it was the worst video game console idea of the last 20 years. It makes the Ouya look like a genius product.

Doing a deep dive into the Amico (and Tommy Tallarico, the huckster fraud behind it) is like watching someone fall down an upward-moving escalator in slow-motion. Just bad idea after bad idea after bad idea and it never stops.

Hbomberguy's video on Tallarico (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0twDETh6QaI) is BRUTAL. Set aside the two hours for a lazy afternoon someday and prepare to be astounded.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Star Wars Hunters dropped today.

I played four matches and was top hunter in each match. Which says a lot since I'm not good at this type of gameplay, normally.

I'm sure by the end of the day my lunch will be served when the "good" players get on.

Not my kind of game, but it was fine for what it's aiming for, Squad shooter in the Star Wars universe with plenty of microtransactions.

It's quite possible I was getting bot lobbies, which would explain my success.

Edited by Travis Sheldon
clarification