DVDVR Message Board

2024 VIDEO GAMES CATCH ALL THREAD

Giving Divinity II: Developer's Edition a spin. An old Larian Studio (did they make anything else? /s) hit. Apparently I'll turn into a dragon at some point? Controls are nice, and plays smoothly on this older machine.

https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/25306843224467/Updates-to-the-Rockstar-Editor-in-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-for-PlayStation-4-and-Xbox-One

On February 20th, Rockstar Games is ending support for Rockstar Editor on PS4 and Xbox One.

This will affect 10 DLC trophies/achievements. On top of the other shutdowns I'm working on (just Armored Core Verdict Day for me to Platinum), I have to play through the campaign to unlock all the story characters in Rockstar Editor and get the rest of the trophies for Rockstar Editor.

Edited by Andrew POE!

The No Return mode in TLOU Part 2 Remastered is worth the $10 alone if you already own that game. And I usually don’t like roguelike/roguelite games or modes.

The three lost levels are interesting - I’ve only done the first one so far, the prelude to the Jackson party. I see why the cut that one if it was towards the end of the game, as it really does slow down the pace quite a bit.

The guitar mode isn’t for me, but it’s cool you can do it as Ellie, Joel or Gustavo.

20 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Harmonix has announced that they will be releasing their final DLC for Rock Band 4 on January 25

They say every thing will continue to run as usual they just will stop adding new songs

TIL that Rock Band 4 was still being supported. Apparently they've released over 2800 songs!

i think the newest game i have is Guitar Hero (4) World Tour for the PS2. 😂 but i DO still have all the instruments.

To jump back to the Metroid talk really quickly, I found a used copy of Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS in a video game store today. I'm excited about that, particularly as Dread is my favorite Metroid game and Mercury Steam developed both it and SR. 

I actually like OG Metroid 2 for what it's worth, but it's obviously very limited by the platform it was on, so I'm into this re-imagining of that game. 

• Like 1

Anyone try Palworld yet? I'm intrigued (not because its "pokemon with guns" but the survival/crafting stuff sounds interesting) but my hesitation is its still in Early Access. I usually don't play games until they are done, but if its polished enough to play now I may dive in.

It’s rough. I’ve only played an hour or so on Xbox, but there are some bugs (obviously). Frame rate drops is probably the biggest issue. I noticed sprinting up stairs hardly works like it should.

The PC version (Steam, I guess?) has a bigger multiplayer server than the Xbox version.

It’s still fun though. I haven’t encountered any of the Pals having weapons yet, but it’s dangerously close to Pokemon territory. So much so that I’d expect a Nintendo C&D or something pretty soon. One of the Pals explicitly reminds me of Snubbull for example, right down to the color of the Pal.

54 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Anyone try Palworld yet? I'm intrigued (not because its "pokemon with guns" but the survival/crafting stuff sounds interesting) but my hesitation is its still in Early Access. I usually don't play games until they are done, but if its polished enough to play now I may dive in.

I watched a stream for a little while. Not for me. 

So I finally got around to Red Dead Redemption 2. Story mode, that’s really good. Kind of wish I’d taken it slower and done more side activities. The online, it’s OK, but it’s weirdly closer to GTA IV online than GTA V (even the super early GTA V online from before they over-egged the pudding). Got my first role as a Bounty Hunter and it’s quite easy and repetitive. Yesterday’s Bounty Hunter daily task was “Capture a Bounty without killing anyone” whilst one of the General Dailies was “Knock Out 5 NPCs”, so my ageing Goth Lady character* just charged in unarmed and pummelled everybody, that was funny.

Driving down country lanes the other morning, there was a wild bunny rabbit running up the road. And yes, I did instinctively reach for my Varmint rifle.

* She has a stuffed Coyote on her head because getting Perfect animal carcasses is easier online.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Apparently the reason why all of the creatures closely resemble Pokemon is because they are AI Art. The whole game is an asset flip.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Apparently the reason why all of the creatures closely resemble Pokemon is because they are AI Art. The whole game is an asset flip.

I will say it looks like a game that is just using basic assets. I played it for about three hours last night and its incredibly bland looking, I've read reviews that said (in so many words) that Game Freak should feel bad they are making the games they are once they look at Palworld and that's insane to me. Its entire look is barebones. There isn't even any ambient sound, its just dead silent while you walk around a basic looking world. The fact it has so many good reviews from major publications and getting press from others is.... suspicious, there is nothing special about this game. The Steam reviews sound like AI generated them.

Anyway, I do not recommend.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 8:54 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

I saw it was on Gamepass and thought just now maybe it's worth trying.

6 hours ago, AxB said:

But then I saw this and yeah fuck all of that.  I'm completely against AI art of any kind and have had luck avoiding any of that so far.  So fuck this game.  Though I will admit some of the things in the game sound fun (and maybe wrong) enough to put a twist on things.  But I just can't get past the AI part of it.

• Like 1

As I said the other day already in another thread, I miss when the future was machines doing manual labour so humans could do creative endeavours. Not the other way around we are absolutely getting. I was so optimistic for the possible uses of AI just a couple years ago but it's quickly becomming just another gross tool that helps the rich get richer and screws actual creative people.

Anyway, there are good people out there doing their best to poison AI theft of art, at least. https://venturebeat.com/ai/nightshade-the-free-tool-that-poisons-ai-models-is-now-available-for-artists-to-use/

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I saw it was on Gamepass and thought just now maybe it's worth trying.

But then I saw this and yeah fuck all of that.  I'm completely against AI art of any kind and have had luck avoiding any of that so far.  So fuck this game.  Though I will admit some of the things in the game sound fun (and maybe wrong) enough to put a twist on things.  But I just can't get past the AI part of it.

I didn't mention the AI Art aspect as there are still debates going on if they used AI Art or not for the game, but either way I just think its an ugly and bland game. I'm just surprised to see how many people like it, maybe I'm out of touch with what The Kids want these days.

• Like 1

Just because I wanted to put a bow on it - The Day Before is officially dead as the servers were turned off today.

So that is 45 days from start to finish in Early Access and all the nonsense that came with it

• Haha 1

I've never felt a desire to club a Pokemon over the head until it submits to me.

Or kill because I couldn't control my monkey brain.

Palworld looks like a mashup of Genshin Impact, Pokemon, Fortnite, and a survival game like Ark or Green Hell.

I'll wait until no one wants to play it before I give it a shot.

I “beat” the Talos Principle with what I think is the good ending? The only bummer is that I think I found every star and then went right to the path I chose to end the game without doing the star puzzle levels so I’m hoping I can go back to go those.

Really, really cool game. Love the puzzles. Only had to look up a few online. For the most part I solved most of them pretty quickly and the longest may have taken me 30 to 45 minutes.

Looking forward to playing part 2 now.

• Like 2

I own 1,000 games so I really like beating games. Two of the most recent games I've beat have been Judgement and Trails of Cold Steel 1, which are very very long. I'm approaching the end of Elden Ring and it hasn't been that challenging for awhile (except for the Mountaintop Catacombs, yeehaw!).

I'm so done with modern long games. Nothing is worth 100 hours. I look at those modern classics like Persona 5 Royale and Tears of the Kingdom and Yakuza 7 sitting on my shelf and I am simply not there for them at the moment. I'm making nothing but 10-to-20 commitments until time comes to pass. I'm playing the first Alan Wake on 360. I got half of Pikmin 3 and half of Sly Cooper 2 and half of Dragon Quest 3 on GBC left. Thinking about Paper Mario on N64. Definitely gonna actually beat Mischief Makers. Trine. Henry Hatsworth. Crimson Skies. Exactly one of the storylines in Uncharted Waters New Horizons. Kentucky Route Zero maybe. Every single PS2/Xbox/Gamecube game I own that got a 7/10 instead of an 8 from EGM because it was "too short"? People, blow the whistle.

Point is fuck modern AAA and fuck asset-theft xoomer brainrot and fuck 100 hour Japanese more-is-more franchise defining 90+ Metacritic whatever. It's VIDEO GAMES, damnit. I just want to beat one and move on to the next one. I gotta shrink these shelves.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

Microsoft is laying over around 1900 employees in the video games with several of them being from Activision Blizzard

It is such a cluster that employees are texting Jason Schreier to see if they still have a job or not

EDIT