DVDVR Message Board

WORLDS END - 12/30/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I've always assumed it was Cole.  My problems with the angle are myriad but I wasn't exactly into the bromance angle and was looking forward to it ending.  Now?  It's gone on interminably long and dragged MJF down with it.  For someone who's a huge fan of wrestling and supposedly encyclopedic with it's history it's amazing to me that Tony put himself in this position, but here we are.  I'd love to know his mentality when he started the angle, like was it "I'll be the one to finally get the black scorpion right!"?

The bulk of MJF's reign, at least by me, will be remembered by the bad booking that handicapped him.  You can pick out a couple strong matches amongst the crap (Danielson, Omega, Jay White even though the angle kinda ruined it for me), but most of his time has been spent mired in the bromance and devil shit.  He's hit and miss with me despite all his talent, but nobody could have saved this

As far as Sasha, when I see news like that I assume her WWE return is imminent.  They're not fooling anyone.  If Sasha's been watching AEW I don't know why she'd want to go there, unless Tony is going to give her stupid money to talk in an accent and time travel

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

doesn't Britt still have a messed up back?

How messed up are we talking? If she is the Devil, she's probably not the one wrestling the blow-off match with MJF anyway. So if she can walk and talk but not work a match, it could still be her.

• Like 1

Statlander / Nightingale added last night.  

I will say though, when I was typing it out, I had to correct myself TWICE from saying Kris Statlander vs. Wheeler Yuta

...which admittedly would be more fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

Or maybe I have that backwards and PWG would run a tournament to determine who gets to be the Devil.

Tony Khan coming out at the end of the PPV and announcing a tournament for the Being The Devil title would be the most AEW thing ever.

I'm still of the opinion it's Cole and the other guys are Roddy, Kyle, and The Kingdom as that would make the most sense. When MJF initially turned face everyone was expecting he'd just end up turning on Cole with lots of us opining it would actually be Cole who turned as a swerve. MJF spending all this time realizing it's ok to be vulnerable and have friends while making all this effort to work on himself and be a better person only to be stabbed in the back by the person he thought was his one true friend and he's better off being an asshole is a fitting arc for him. Or maybe because I think most of his face run has been filled with mediocre booking and cringe segments.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Basically while there is almost no right answer the only truly wrong answer is Jack Perry right? (Unless Christian is secretly behind it all).

Because it’s admittedly nearly no win for me, I’m pretty open to almost everyone as long as the story and presentation is fun. Jungle Boy is maybe my only person I’d be very off by. If it is him, just rename Rush as “The Crusader” and have him take liberties on him again. Which could actually be the best outcome. Hmmmmm.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Oof. So Cole's hurt, MJF needs a break, Omega is out indefinitely, and Jericho might have to take a PR vacation. I hope Tony doesn't have to lean on Mox again

For his sake, I hope he gets a vacation. But I’d low key like another heavy Mox run of blood (as long as he’s mentally and physically healthy and happy).

But I think they have enough pieces they can lean on instead. Swerve, Hangman, Kingston, Samoa Joe, OC, etc. 

• Like 2

I’m fairly certain the plan was for Cole to be the Devil, and him nuking his ankle ruined that. And then maybe they thought they could string it out but they sense the angle fatigue. I was thinking Cole could still be the mastermind behind the Devil, taking out MJF as revenge for his own injury. But the payoff would be delayed for months and that wouldn’t work either...

On 12/28/2023 at 9:59 AM, Octopus said:

When Eddie wins I hope Kawada, Kobashi, Taue, and Akiyama come out to give him the belts. 

Oh wow, just thought of this. Instead of what I said here, what if Mox wins and the Pillars come out to congratulate him while a wounded Kingston lays in the ring and watches his heroes congratulate and praise his former friend. All while Danielson is on commentary calling Eddie a bum. 

• Like 1

Devil aside, I really like the look of this card! It has the highest floor of any AEW PPV I've encountered I think.

• MJF vs Joe: Again, I want MJF to work this like Hogan vs Bossman. Hopefully he doesn't work it like Dusty vs Bossman. We'll see. No idea how limited he is right now but Joe's on a run and I'm sure just the David vs Goliath stuff will help this to work and MJF will have the Long Island Crowd on his side so everyone won't just be looking to the back the whole match.
  • Mox vs Kingston: Nothing needs to be said. This will be special. Hopefully it doesn't devolve into ten minutes of barely sold chop exchanges, but these two can probably make that work as well as anyone at least.
  • Toni vs Riho: Riho's probably a great, sympathetic wrestler for Toni to walk the line between the goofiness and hard hitting action.
  • Copeland vs Christian: Traditionally, Copeland is only memorable in gimmick matches and Christian can put this stuff together in his sleep. Should be fine.
  • Julia vs Abadon: Obviously these two care a ton about their craft and they have people like Dustin helping them to put it together. It could go off the rails, but I think they can lean on the character bits and the atmosphere and things will be ok.
  • Sting 8-man: Two 8-man tags on one show is a little problematic, sure, but ultimately, the right people are in here to keep this exciting. I really want to see Starks and Hobbs interact.
  • Classic 8-man: This should have a totally different feel and be way more hard-hitting I imagine, just considering who's in there. Again, here I want to see Garcia interact with the BCC. I'd give Brisco, Garcia, and Lethal big moments here too and probably protect Danielson.
  • Strickland vs Lee: They've had a hell of a lot of time thinking about how they wanted to put this match together. No reason to think it won't be solid.
  • Miro vs Andrade: A bit of a wild card. I imagine they wouldn't be running it if CJ wasn't ready to be back from her infection. Andrade is wrestling for a new contract here or elsewhere so he has his working shoes on. Miro will play into the crowd in a big way.
  • Yuta vs Hook: The FTW gimmick is less interesting than these two going with pure rules, especially with Copeland vs Christian on the show but I still think it'll work out fine as a mostly normal match with just a few over the top spots. We'll see.
  • Statlander vs Willow: I'm not expecting a Statlander turn given Skye just turned, but who knows. Strength vs Strength, should be fun.

Of the people on this card, the only ones on my "list of 10" are Takeshita and Strickland and they're both in spots where I'm not at all worried about them. This is very much my AEW. I almost wish there was a crazy spotfest on here with Vikingo or Top Flight or something to really give the "something for everyone" feel.

EDIT: Oh hey, there's a battle royal too. I like AEW Battle Royals. Hopefully Hangman Page doesn't win.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm thinking Tony might want to skip the scrum tonight.

AE9-E01-C2-36-E5-4024-B418-E07640-BD1-BB

(I don’t know what the context of the tweet was. Just saw it on Reddit and it is eerie. Sorry if I’m being wrong.)

Edited by Octopus
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Octopus said:

But I think they have enough pieces they can lean on instead. Swerve, Hangman, Kingston, Samoa Joe, OC, etc. 

I don't think Kingston and OC are at that level yet and Hangman hasn't really been able to solidify his position despite the wins. Swerve and Joe are the closest, if both guys win tonight you could run with that for a few months

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

Wardlow is overseas and on Dynamite he was in full JAG mode trying to keep Edge and Christian apart.

I’d joke about Wardlow using his vacation days at the end of the year because they won’t rollover but there’s no plausible way for him to not have used those 2023 vacation days by now

now if he was claiming to be somewhere else as a riff on the “MJF has left town before his match with Wardlow” rumors

35 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I’m fairly certain the plan was for Cole to be the Devil, and him nuking his ankle ruined that. And then maybe they thought they could string it out but they sense the angle fatigue. I was thinking Cole could still be the mastermind behind the Devil, taking out MJF as revenge for his own injury. But the payoff would be delayed for months and that wouldn’t work either...

I think it could still work, if MJF needs time off anyway due to injuries (and to give him a TV break). Cole could be revealed as the mastermind, stomp on MJF to give him a month off or two, and by the time they build up their feud they could hold off having a match until May or June since MJF would have to "go through" the minions first. I say all that not knowing how long Cole will be out, if he will be out of action until late 2024 then that's too much time to kill.

• Like 1

Cole could be a mastermind villain in Roddy’s wheelchair. Like super scary and menacing. Roddy’s neck is heeled and he’s breaking backs. O’Rielly and Fish and the Kingdom or whoever are kicking people and stuff. Cole only does his twitch stream in sepia or something spooky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Statlander / Nightingale added last night.  

I will say though, when I was typing it out, I had to correct myself TWICE from saying Kris Statlander vs. Wheeler Yuta

...which admittedly would be more fun. 

We have not gotten that (and we should) but we have gotten Willow vs Yuta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hhDCFOGyFE

17 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Cole could be a mastermind villain in Roddy’s wheelchair. Like super scary and menacing. Roddy’s neck is heeled and he’s breaking backs. O’Rielly and Fish and the Kingdom or whoever are kicking people and stuff. Cole only does his twitch stream in sepia or something spooky.

Bro bro bro, Cole is handling the drugs for Roddy’s neck. Then the devil is Vic Grimes. Bro

• Like 1
  • Haha 2