DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/8 - 11/14/2023 - Bait and Switchblade

Dolfan in NYC

it might be a little 2000s WWE but having "non-AEW person who could be plausibly unveiled as the devil hanging out backstage at the PPV" would be an idea.

Like have Jim Mitchell in the background of a shot and then that's it. Or Jim Mitchell in the background being led away to make sure he stays out of the shot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

it might be a little 2000s WWE but having "non-AEW person who could be plausibly unveiled as the devil hanging out backstage at the PPV" would be an idea.

Like have Jim Mitchell in the background of a shot and then that's it. Or Jim Mitchell in the background being led away to make sure he stays out of the shot.

They have my top two choices for the 99 Higher Power already under contract.

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

That reminds me of the time when they were playing out the Exalted One mystery and Raven was in the crowd to low key tease that it might be him.  Announcers didn't mention it and nobody really called attention to it, which was cool.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

All this Devil stuff and everything around it just screams " Black Scorpion " to me. 

I know you mean this in a demeaning way, but The Black Scorpion was fun. The payoff wasn't good but the journey to get there was (for 1990 WCW at least). Except for the bad live magic skits lol.

I know Ole slapped it together as a mockery, but he ended up proving the point he was mocking. Who was The Black Scorpion was a lot more compelling than the normal shit he was booking.

Hopefully they already have the destination figured out and don't have to have it be Ric Flair too.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I know you mean this in a demeaning way, but The Black Scorpion was fun. The payoff wasn't good but the journey to get there was (for 1990 WCW at least). Except for the bad live magic skits lol.

I actually convinced myself I sort of liked the magic skits. I was a hardcore "NWA > WWF" guy in my youth. Brainwashed by PWI, no doubt.

The devil is gonna be Andy Kaufman you’ll all see. TK finally found him and convinced him it’s time to payoff the angle and show the world he’s still here, one of the henchmen will be Tony Clifton obviously.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Someone mentioned Ricky Starks and that also works because he’s had feuds or heat or history with Jay White, BCG, the Acclaimed, and Max.

I still think the best option is Swerve going full chaotic evil and trying to ruin MJF’s life like he’s tried to do to so many others. He also has history with the Acclaimed, does that horror shit, has a stable, and could see him wanting to take BCG out of the picture to have the Mogul Embassy be the top group.

The Collision Promo Montage! Thank You! Andrade v Daniel Garcia was the solid TV affair I’d hoped it could be. Andrade's kinda quietly put together a helluva run since his return. I like CJ Perry. The term ‘Hot and Flexible Wife’ is less fun on a tron video. It's better left to amusing slight remarks in Miro's promos. So let me get this straight, Miro was flown in for a 10 second clip of him watching a backstage monitor? Whatever the case, I'm very much looking forward to Miro v Andrade. Nick Wayne v Dalton Castle was fine. Wayne needs to tighten up his offense. And trash the Cutter finish. I love Christian Cage, everything he does. Isn’t Loser Dalton challenging for the ROH World Title soon? Nice Hangman Page promo. I'd love it if they reviewed the choice of that wide angle camera shot, and brought some awareness to their promo settings. It makes a difference. LFI v Workhorsemen was a nice TV match. Drake/Henry are an excellent tag team. If the ROH titles could ever be contained to the weekly Honor Club show, these guys would be fun to see go on a lengthy title run. Rush is looking like and becoming a star performer. Dralistico seems to be sharpening up his game as well. Odd transition (embed some live sound underneath that dear AEW production) to the House of Black promo. A pretty coherent promo this time around – thank you. Rough Stat/Willow promo. The story of friendship continues with too few hooks. Roderick Strong v Darius Martin was a wonderful piece of business. I don’t like Darius not getting an entrance, but he’s clearly on semi-hold til Dante’s leg heals. Roddy is fucking awesome! Such a great arsenal of offense. So crisp. And the gimmick is getting over. Wow, that entrance out of the wheelchair and up the stairs! Roddy's really onto something. Matt and Mike continue to make the most of their minutes. I look forward to that Kingdom v Martin/Action feud getting a TV rematch. The subscription battles were solid. Big Announcement: Tony’s eyes were madly in love with the teleprompter. Danielson saying ‘Tony’s booking’ was unfortunate. I do dig a G1 style tournament. Tony's less than polished delivery always reminds us how great it is that they don't employ a 'Commissioner' figure. Willow v Julia had some ups and downs. Willow Nightingale should never lose. Julia has improved so much, but still could benefit from a year on Honor Club. The Big Bill/Starks promo was terrific. Not into fucking 4 ways, but I do like all these teams. It's great to see how far Lexi has come. She's clearly gained confidence with this role. Hobbs In Action is one of my least favorite AEW segments. When I saw that his opponent was Indy sensation Titus Alexander I momentarily daydreamed a scenario where an actual match might happen. Nope. Then Don Callis’ promo swoops in to saves the whole goddamn 'quarter hour'! Don is absolutely incredible! Hobbs fucking with Big Paul was also wonderful. Fun sell on the Street Fight. Tho, I continue to feel uncomfortable about Wight and his knees being in that match. Good standard FTR promo. I clipped Sting/ADAM/Darby v Righteous/Archer, but liked what I saw. Dutch is a fun wrestler. So too Lance. The crowd was hot towards the finish. Fun.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 9:26 AM, Technico Support said:

That reminds me of the time when they were playing out the Exalted One mystery and Raven was in the crowd to low key tease that it might be him.  Announcers didn't mention it and nobody really called attention to it, which was cool.

Still one of my all-time favorite AEW moments, and not just because I was the only Raven fan in my class as a kid - it had been a really long time since anyone did 'red herring' in wrestling that effectively and subtly. Love @Cobra Commander's idea a ton for that reason, be it Mitchell or anyone else who could fit. It almost reminded me of watching Lost back in the day, with the watch thread here on fire the next morning with "OMG did anyone else notice..."

Edit: should also mention that I finally watched Collision, it was another Monday Nitro edition for us. Really solid show - everything clicked for me. Even the Righteous, who I cannot get into at all, were largely inoffensive here. Love that we're getting a handful more Sting trios on TV before he hangs it up, and on a personal level, I thought it was pretty easy to see that Copeland was having a blast out there getting to team with Sting - I'm certain he had that combo Scorpion Death drop/elbow drop spot planned in his head since grade 5.

The big takeaway: Hobbs, Big Bill, Starks, Darby, Willow, Dutch, and JD Drake are all future world championship material in some fashion - it's a good problem to have.

Great end to the AEW week

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 5

I am only aware of two matches for Dynamite this week. Per the FITE app. 

Jericho, Golden Lovers, and Big Paul (not the Natural, the other Big Paul) vs Callis Family. (Takeshita, Sammy, Fletch, and Hobbs?) I am kind of worried about the giant's hips and knees based on how he looked just standing there. Count me very much among the "I hope they are smart enough to use him like latter-day Andre" crowd. On the other hand, I am stoked for Takeshita/Ibushi interaction, and kind of sort of think maybe Hobbs should get to bust some giant spine just once. 

Also Mox & Yuta vs Orange & Hook. Which: Yowza! Dang! Pretty strong odds of that being a VERY good and fun and hard-hitting tag team match.

I looked for more info but one site had "Dynamite Results" for 11/15 so I stopped looking just on the chance that there might somehow be spoilers. Oh boy, do I ever NOT want to know what's going to happen in those two matches!

Also, forgive me, but I am going to be obsessing over this like a little kid before Christmas until we get the actual brackets. But. Yeah. Shibata.

Current Dream Block A: Bryan, Shibata, Dustin, Keith Lee, Rush, Yuta.

Current Dream Block B: Kingston, Hobbs, Claudio, Bandido, Brody King, Mark Briscoe

I would mark out for every single one of those match-ups.

Also, I somehow forgot about Colt Cabana when thinking of guys who could play the Yano role! Cabana,with Cutler in his corner.

Cold Spray:Cabana::Tape:Yano

• Like 2