DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear V - 11/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Jenalysis said:

I think the original plan was for Punk to lose this way to MJF to end the X belt story, Punk got fired, Jay got slotted into Punk's place, but Jay can't afford to lose this way while Punk could.

Hopefully there's a good Kiwi rehab center near Jacksonville.

As much as I’d hate to see Christian lose the belt, having White beat Copeland for the TNT title feels like a pretty solid move.

• Like 2

After rewatching some of the stuff I dozed off through yesterday, OC vs Mox was enjoyable, but nowhere near the match they had the first time. Hook vs Wheeler needs to happen as soon as possible, too!

The 4-way ladder match got really damn good while I was sleeping, apparently! I really want to see Cash vs RUSH go one on one! Also, FTR vs Kings of the Black Throne main eventing a Collision one of these weeks, please!

3-way TBS title was ways better than the Women's World title match and pretty much action from bell to bell. Added the two of the newest Butcher Babies albums to my Spotify library, is anyone aware of the name of Skye Blues new theme song? I was rooting for Skye on this one, but obviously Julia Hart has worked really hard on improving all aspects of her game, so this big win was well deserved.

Yeah, I don't think I will revisit the Texas Death Match without some drinks in me! Somehow, it makes me thirsty, I don't know what it is?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Added the two of the newest Butcher Babies albums to my Spotify library, is anyone aware of the name of Skye Blues theme song?

Choke by Mikey Rukus feat. Butcher Babies

• Thanks 1

I liked Skye Blue's old theme.  Good Daft Punk vibes

Alvarez has pointed this out a few times now but I was thinking it myself watching the show.  Tony Khan in kayfabe is a complete lunatic.  Adam Cole isn't cleared to defend the ROH tag titles but he OK's him replacing MJF in the main event?  If Tony is going to be used like this as the matchmaker/owner, to explain away the nonsensical booking I want them to lean into him being kayfabe off the rails.  Like that segment where he was screaming at MJF and Cole behind closed doors and "normal" Tony when the cameras are on.  All his detractors think he's a coked up goofball anyway, lean into it like the Mr. McMahon character but instead of an evil megalomanic he's a schizo weirdo who loves rasslin more than anyone on the planet

Hangman and Swerve was incredible.  Between that and the Hell of War match for a guy who's not exactly known as a deathmatch wrestler he's been in two of my favorites.  AEW has had some pretty wild and bloody matches, I'm not sure this was the most violent because I think I've cringed more at some Mox stuff, but it was up there.  The crowd did not know how to react to the blood drinking-->mist spot.  I was laughing my ass off and screaming FUCK YEAH!!  Then I see some people were disgusted by it?  Oh well.  I was a little worried about 50/50 booking going into this but I thought they pulled it off perfectly with Hangman getting his pound of flesh and then some and Swerve just barely surviving with just a bit of outside help

I'm not really a fan of multi-person ladder matches at this point, all I can think of while watching them is how it's impossible to come out of these matches unscathed and nobody will remember it a week later.  I'm guessing guys like FTR, Ricky and Black would prefer not to be in a match like this, maybe I'm wrong.  They were doing all the dives early in the match with everybody catching and talking to each other on the landing and it just felt like every other multi-person match to me.  It got better as it went along and there were some crazy spots, but I'd rather they save ladder matches for once in a blue moon when they have a creative idea to get to it or for the match itself

MJF is fucking insane doing that elbow.  Good match, didn't need the angle, felt super WWE from bygone days.  I'm a big Jay White fan, I never expected him to win and he's gonna be just fine.  Juice is on the shelf now though, that might cool down some of BCG's momentum if he isn't on TV.  I'd be down for several weeks of TV of them recruiting a new member.  Maybe a heel turn for Action?

I also wasn't expecting a devil reveal going into the show, it hadn't been built up enough on TV yet.  I was kinda thinking Cole heel turn fingerpoke of doom with Jay White was possible though, so they at least had me guessing a little with the angle. 

• Like 1

I have two criticisms of Swerve Strickland vs. Adam Page, the blood drinking spot I didn't like and the interference. I'd have kept the latter by Prince Nana and taken out Brian Cage's. Swerve Strickland and Christian Cage had the best entrances. The Texas Death Match is one of the most consistent for quality in AEW. It's one of the first gimmick matches I word associate with AEW. Page vs. Archer, Page vs. Moxley, Danielson vs. Starks and Page vs. Strickland. Page vs. Moxley the best of the bunch.

Really enjoyed Orange Cassidy vs. Jon Moxley, the two together have chemistry. You have Cassidy and Moxley, two of the biggest pushed and most protected wrestlers in AEW going at it so something had to give. Cassidy beat Mox clean as a sheet. I said at the time Cassidy should have beat Mox at All Out 2023 as he deserved to hold the AEW International Championship for a year. With hindsight even more so with Mox's reign getting curtailed concussion vs. Rey Fenix.

MJF is the first to hold the AEW World Championship for a year joining Hikaru Shida's first reign as AEW Women's World Champion and Jade Cargill TBS Champion to do so.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2023 at 10:01 PM, Jenalysis said:

I'm super biased, I'm probably the biggest Jay White fan on here.  Been all in on him since his NJPW match with Hangman where they both figured it out at the same time, followed by the Cow Palace match with Juice.  The one piece of wrestling merch I feel ok displaying in my place is from Jay.   (It's also the one piece I have in my actual name)

So I'm not just pissed, I feel the same way I felt during the Roman wins LOL Rumble.  I know some of this is personal, but this was so fucking stupid and it hurt my favorite wrestler.   If TK reads this, I want him to know that I want to kick him in the nuts for this match, though I will forgive him eventually if things turn around.   This is legit the angriest I've felt as a wrestling fan ever, which I know is irrational as hell, but it hurt watching this, especially since there was like 8 to 10 different ways to have a  more logical ending to this- the easiest being Joe saves MJF to save his title shot.

I understand if I get a vacation due to this, I probably deserve it, but it's how I feel.  I've been around this board and previous iterations 25 years or so, and this is the first time I've posted something like this.

I wonder if it's ok to feel this way?

On 11/19/2023 at 10:23 PM, tbarrie said:

I'm not a mod, but I can't imagine expressing anger at a booking decision is enough to get you a time out. Maybe don't actually kick Tony Khan in the nuts, though, should you ever have the opportunity.

On 11/20/2023 at 3:10 PM, Just Dave said:

Trust me, if you could get in trouble for that here, I’d be on death row…

On 11/20/2023 at 3:19 PM, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Settle down, nutkicker Jones. 

Me with my hatred of Fuck H. Hogan and Penta. Hogan's way worse.

• Like 1

Meltzer gave Strickland/Page *****. Find that interesting considering Meltzer said the match peaked before the end a few minutes later and wouldn't have done the interference. I didn't give it ***** for the blood drinking spot or Cage's interference. I gave Michaels/Mankind ***** as the interference didn't take away what Michaels/Mankind achieved. An example of when something does and doesn't detract.

Meltzer has no conviction when it comes to his opinions on star ratings. All I heard on his show was criticism about the match. He clearly overrates all the AEW matches than he normally would any other promotion. Same thing happened with Omega and Moxley’s death match.

But this is why I don’t like star ratings anymore. There’s no true standard.

I used to think if a match was five stars it was nigh perfect or a standard of excellence. But if you are suddenly rating things six or seven stars, you’ve lost the plot.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

I’m not sure when a critic’s opinion started getting treated like fact instead of one of a million perspectives. If AEW has proved anything to me it’s that what constitutes a great match varies wildly from person to person. To me bumps and blood are almost a non-factor and stiffness is going down the list while character work and storyline have taken precedence so Meltzer and I do not agree most of the time, doesn’t mean either of us are right or wrong but it will mean we will both argue as if we are right because to us we are

• Like 1