DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 10/23 - 10/29/2023

Dolfan in NYC

GUNTHER has now hit 500 Days as your Intercontinental Champion.

He's now 116 days away from reaching Pedro Morales as the longest reigning IC champ of all time (Morales did this across two reigns.) 

• Like 5

Opening segment with Priest, Finn, and Cody was solid.

New Day vs. Alpha Academy was good stuff with everyone looking impressive. Not sure about New Day winning though I suppose they wanted them to get some momentum back after the loses to Ivar. Hopefully they actually do a title match with Judgement Day to play off of this at some point. 

Becky/Indi was good and probably Indi's best performance in WWE. Indi has always been someone who had trouble hanging with the rest and came across as fairly rough. Here she looked surprisingly at home and meshed fairly well with Becky. Had Indi looked like this in NXT 2-3 years ago she would have probably won the title and/or made it to the main roster a lot faster than she did. Its just nice to see her finally get there unlike some in the past. Really enjoying how Becky's reign is being used to help get attention on lower card women on Raw and NXT as whole.

Skipped around some of the contract signing but it seemed fine. Rhea continues to stand above the rest of the division, but at least a good amount are getting attention here and being presented as threats. Still feels weird with them building to Rhea/Nia as heel/heel feud.

Gargano/Vinci was on the shorter side but pretty nice while it lasted. Served more as a return for Ciampa so DIY could get some vengeance on Imperium.

Skipped around the Logan Paul segment until Dom came out. The two were evil gold together with the hatred the crowd had for them. Don't think there was louder reaction all night. they fed into each other's bs so well, and I dug them pressuring Samantha Fox into the ring to set up the Ricochet save. Its nice to see Ricochet's feud with Paul not quite done.

Chelsea/Piper vs. Nattie/Nikki was mostly a weird segment to push whatever weirdness Cross is going through.

The backstage segment with Miz & Pearce being interrupted by Rhea was fun. Miz's talk of being the greatest IC champ makes me want to see him vs. Gunther. It will either be a complete massacre or one of those matches where Miz reminds people how good he can be. I'm not sure which I prefer. 

Sami/Drew was damn good stuff. Rhea's interference here and the conversation with Seth early on was nice. I like how they keep pushing her playing games with everyone for Judgement Day's advantage. 

Tozawa/Reed was the squash you would expect but a decent one. Tozawa as a part of Alpha Academy feels weird, but I don't dislike it. I would just like it more if it led to some success for him. 

Jey/Priest built into a fairy solid match. Dug the post match with cody getting some payback on Priest and Finn for the earlier beatdown.

Generally solid show of Raw. Once again it felt like here were a lot of moving parts and stories moving forward. No great match though New Day vs. Alpha Academy, Becky/Indi, & Sami/Drew all were good and worth catching. I'm happy they are trying to use most of the women's division right now though I think good performances in matches like Indi's tonight will do more for them than the stuff they did with the tag side of the division match.

• Like 1

I'm assuming the tension between Aldis and Pearce is being used to build up the obligatory Raw vs Smackdown Survivor Series match. Some sort of Judgement Day/Bloodline elimination match is more interesting but we'll see. 

The tag division is getting pretty interesting. Hopefully with Vince doing less creative we get more and longer matches between AA, New Day, DIY, the Raiders, etc.

The budding feud between Pearce and Aldis is probably my least favorite thing right now as I have zero interest in a Smackdown vs. Raw feud for SS. It was good when they left that shit alone last year. I'd much rather see Judgement Day taking on Cody, Jey, Sami, and maybe Drew in War Games or a traditional SS match.

32 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

I don't need a full Smackdown vs. Raw SS match but I'm definitely open to an Aldis-Pearce match.

32 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

I don't need a full Smackdown vs. Raw SS match but I'm definitely open to an Aldis-Pearce match.

Battle of former NWA World Champions. 

• Like 2

Wasn't expecting those title changes tonight!

Shotzi and Scarlett did a fine job hosting and navigating the costume changes. The twins scene with Melo was a nice touch. No one believes Melo which is hilarious. No match was bad tonight but nothing was amazing.

Also, who was the Stratton clone? I'm blanking with the outfit and wig and their mannerisms matching Tiffany too well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Wasn't expecting those title changes tonight!

Shotzi and Scarlett did a fine job hosting and navigating the costume changes. The twins scene with Melo was a nice touch. No one believes Melo which is hilarious. No match was bad tonight but nothing was amazing.

Also, who was the Stratton clone? I'm blanking with the outfit and wig and their mannerisms matching Tiffany too well.

I had to Google it, 'twas Fallon Henley as Stratton.

• Like 1

Yeah so Lexis King's debut.  The entrance is pretty cool although for someone who isn't trying be like his dad he acts like a Loose Cannon. But he gets in the ring and is rather average.  He is going to get his biggest opportunity but it is going to be a serious work in progress 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Watched intermittently until Book finally made me switch. The funniest thing I caught was the side Russian leg sweep into the kiddie slide. So silly. 

Is it just me or is Booker kinda terrible?  I don’t feel like he adds much or puts anyone over and he’s often more distracting than anything.

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

Yeah so Lexis King's debut.  The entrance is pretty cool although for someone who isn't trying be like his dad he acts like a Loose Cannon. But he gets in the ring and is rather average.  He is going to get his biggest opportunity but it is going to be a serious work in progress 

I noticed the Pillman 4 Horseman logo but I couldn't get what what was on the back of his tights.

27 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Is it just me or is Booker kinda terrible?  I don’t feel like he adds much or puts anyone over and he’s often more distracting than anything.

It is clear that HBK and/or Triple H saw the Black Snow stuff in TNA and thought it was doing it weekly would be a great idea.   Booker may be the one WWE guy who you can replace with a soundboard and nobody would notice.  And you wouldn't need a lot of them either.  You can probably use less than 15 too.  

5 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Oh I love Booker on commentary. I think he's the WCW B show Dusty Rhodes of our time.

• Like 3

I actually like Booker. He has a good rapport with Vic, can be amusing, and is decent enough when he gets a little more on the serious side. He still isn't good, but he feels like a far cry away from his terrible run on one of the bigger shows some years back. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I actually like Booker. He has a good rapport with Vic, can be amusing, and is decent enough when he gets a little more on the serious side. He still isn't good, but he feels like a far cry away from his terrible run on one of the bigger shows some years back. 

The biggest problem with that run was that Michael Cole and Corey Graves basically sat there waiting for Booker to say something weird or slightly wrong, and then they'd pounce all over him, trying to one-up each other in making fun of Booker who, rather than engage, would just talk about something else which would just make Graves and Cole pick at him some more.

I actually think Booker is pretty great and probably the last vestige of the old colour commentator on WWE TV, a la Bobby Heenan or Jesse Ventura. Graves and Barratt are both super-polished and not liable to say anything confusing, or funny or weird, Raw and Smackdown might as well be announced by an AI program.  Tazz and Booker (And not always intentionally in Booker's case) will sometimes just go off on a tangent that breaks up their commentator(s) and reminds the viewers at home, that there are in fact human beings calling the action. 

• Like 2

And while I think Book and Vic work well together, Vic's casual style just irks me for some reason. Probably because Book and Wade both dressed nice so it was an odd contrast. Hell, Vic wore a damn suit in his sit down interviews yesterday so it's not like he can't or anything. 

Halloween Havoc was my favorite top to bottom NXT show in a long time.  Loved New Year's Day opening performance mixed in with the clips of the feuds, worked really well. Roxanne has been awesome in the gimmick matches and I like Kiana a lot too, super fun opener.

Thought both womens breakout matches were pretty good. Popped for Chase U winning the tag titles, thought that was the right move and I've been loving Jacy Jayne's involvement with them lately. Blair/Gigi was pretty good, the Fallon/Tiffany bit was great. 

Main event was suitably epic. Huge fan of Lyra and didn't expect her to actually win so I marked big for that, awesome match/moment. Pretty much everything hit for me on this one. 

• Like 1

Is there a natural feud for Lexis King/BPJ. Pretty sure most of the NXT roster never saw Brian Pillman wrestle so would his feud be with someone that really loves their dad and has an issue with BPJ’s approach? (Or BPJ having an issue with that person)

Just imagine if they figured out that “roll this chair out” technology for Bray.

Also I think they mentioned that the intro was from a video game. Although it also reminded me of Pete Nice from 3rd Bass.