DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

7 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

But then how can anyone look utterly shocked at getting a 2.9 off a move that never gets anything more than a 2.9? Think of the drama we'd be missing.

those moments would be replaced by strutting and the announcers being perplexed that the heel isn't doing for pins off of his 5th most powerful hold.

Or the heel could go in the other direction and just go for endless pin attempts after each move, while shouting that analytics tells him that forcing his opponent to kick out reduces their stamina by .75% each time.

• Like 4

Apparently, the backers for this weekend's Fury vs. Ngannou fight have paid Mike Tyson a ton of money to "train" Francis Ngannou. That's sort of the biggest thing to come from this fight the whole week. Other than John Fury being a crazy old coked up white man (like father, like son?). Between the splurging on Mike Tyson and requesting wrestlers to be on WWE shows in Saudi Arabia who have long passed away, is there a nostalgia kick that they're on? 

• Like 1

I was thinking about how part of the thing that marked "peak" Attitude era WWF/E was how Vince decided to use actual currently popular music to promote the wrestlers, PPVs, and even the angles. The most obvious being "My Way" being the theme song of the then biggest match of the company's history.

To wit, last weekend, Spotify reminded me of the existence of Puddle of Mudd's "Blurry".  I really seem to remember it being used in an angle at some point.  I cannot for the life of me place it, or if it was just the Mandela Effect in pure pro-wrestling form.  I *think* it was a HHH-Booker title match, but the only thing I can find is a possibly fan-made tribute to... the guy we don't talk about any more.

Am I just crazy or did they actually use Blurry to promote a match?

35 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Am I just crazy or did they actually use Blurry to promote a match?

When they changed names in 2002, there  was a popular tribute video going around called WWF As We Know It that used Blurry. WWE managed to nearly copyright strike it out of existence, but it left an impression during early torrenting and YouTube. 

https://archive.org/details/rip-wwf-first-and-original-version-

Edit: @Elsalvajeloco beat me to it, by like a lot. 

Edited by (BP)

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Leave Stevie Richards out of this, Dolfan.

You mean this? https://archive.org/details/rip-wwf-first-and-original-version-

I meant the Blue Meanie. 😞  

But that might be what I was thinking of.   Lord  at the end... I haven't seen someone promoting Kazaa since forever.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I meant the Blue Meanie. 😞  

But that might be what I was thinking of.   Lord  at the end... I haven't seen someone promoting Kazaa since forever.

Watching some of these old WWF/WWE shows back, they also kept re-using some of these songs they were able to use. So they might have used it more than once. There was one show I watched recently where they used "Adrenaline" by Gavin Rossdale like 2 or 3 times for as many different video packages.

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Watching some of these old WWF/WWE shows back, they also kept re-using some of these songs they were able to use. So they might have used it more than once. There was one show I watched recently where they used "Adrenaline" by Gavin Rossdale like 2 or 3 times for as many different video packages.

The one I seem to remember being used repeatedly is this one.   This is the match line-up, but they definitely used it more than once on the show itself:

(There's something to be said about Tony being able to run one of these matches again 20+ years later.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Apparently, the backers for this weekend's Fury vs. Ngannou fight have paid Mike Tyson a ton of money to "train" Francis Ngannou. That's sort of the biggest thing to come from this fight the whole week. Other than John Fury being a crazy old coked up white man (like father, like son?). Between the splurging on Mike Tyson and requesting wrestlers to be on WWE shows in Saudi Arabia who have long passed away, is there a nostalgia kick that they're on? 

Maybe they were impressed by Tyson's success at training pigeons.

3 minutes ago, Gorman said:

Maybe they were impressed by Tyson's success at training pigeons.

If I didn't know better and this was just going to fund Mike's marijuana business and his daughter's burgeoning tennis career, I would say that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is about to go all in on the pigeon racing as the next major sport.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

"The formula tells me that non-finishers never end matches, therefore I will not go for covers unless I hit my finisher"

OR

"The formula tells me non-finishers never end matches, so my MOVESET~! will be nothing but finishers!  I can't lose!"

• Like 2

Meltzer says there are 11 wrestlers starting at the PC in January. Presumably these are both from the recent indie tryout, and from the "athlete" tryouts at Summerslam.

He mentions Finlay, Malachi and Ali as three.

Also, since I just happened to look at it as I was typing; tonight's show is the 8th straight Smackdown with a crowd over 10000.

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

OR

"The formula tells me non-finishers never end matches, so my MOVESET~! will be nothing but finishers!  I can't lose!"

You just made Matt D's head explode

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Guys, we've seen how into the contract storylines (and legal ones) Khan is. He takes a ton of pride on the analytics group he built up for the Jags. For him to have a wrestling character like that in AEW would be the most insufferable thing imaginable.

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Guys, we've seen how into the contract storylines (and legal ones) Khan is. He takes a ton of pride on the analytics group he built up for the Jags. For him to have a wrestling character like that in AEW would be the most insufferable thing imaginable.

DO IT, TONY!

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Somehow Thomas Nicholas Madrigal, better known as TNM, did not turn business around.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The one I seem to remember being used repeatedly is this one.   This is the match line-up, but they definitely used it more than once on the show itself:

They sure did - for whatever reason, this one and Trapt - Headstrong (I think that one was Bad Blood '03) stick out to me a lot, along with Metallica - St. Anger being used for SummerSlam. What a weird nu-metal gulash.

• Like 1

Headstrong? Weren't they also using t.A.T.u for Victoria's theme as well? So was their plan to just grab all the radio top ten songs and basically be pro wrestling TRL/MuchMusic Countdown? I mean folks can make fun the Young Buck/Elite connection with like Hot Topic, but goddamn the target demo for all the songs being brought up is SPECIFCALLY that demo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Headstrong? Weren't they also using t.A.T.u for Victoria's theme as well? So was their plan to just grab all the radio top ten songs and basically be pro wrestling TRL/MuchMusic Countdown? I mean folks can make fun the Young Buck/Elite connection with like Hot Topic, but goddamn the target demo for all the songs being brought up is SPECIFCALLY that demo.

The shitty nu-metal and hard rock dominating WWE (and to a lesser extent wrestling in general) in that era was one of the reasons I stopped watching.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Did then WWE have a deal with one of the record companies back then?