DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

He turned his fat to muscle through fighting spirit

Calling it now.  When he retires, Davey Richards is going to follow DDP's lead and teach Fighting Spirit Yoga.  The infomerical will be coming soon to a really cheap 3 AM time slot in your viewing area.

Today I am youtube chaining Senegalese wrestling videos, thought you guys might enjoy some African Catch rasslin.

That entrance blows anything Wrestlemania has done out of the water.

Ezekiel Jackson's new gimmick?

Seeing how good technically Dinsmore was in OVW, I always thought the 'E missed the boat on Eugene: Wrestling Savant. They could've played him goofy until the heel got him mad, and then he proceeds to stretch him Euro holds.  What could've been...

I always thought that as well. More or less the same about Santino Marella. Someone needs to give Vince a DVD of Leon and rip off that gimmick.

Those Senegalese dudes look like the baddest motherfuckers. And they look like they can put the fear of god into just about every guy in the WWE just by their entrance. I'd kill to have those two come in and destroy the Shield and the Wyatt family in one go.

Those Senegalese dudes look like the baddest motherfuckers. And they look like they can put the fear of god into just about every guy in the WWE just by their entrance. I'd kill to have those two come in and destroy the Shield and the Wyatt family in one go.

When the opponent dumped the bucket of water on his head and just stood there pointing I was like "oh shit...it is ON". You have to admire how hated a rivalry must be if armed police step into the ring for the equivalent of a rope break.

The Business lives:

In little more than a year Ox Baker felled two wrestlers with his "hurt punch" a direct punch to the heart and both were no longer in this world. In June of 1971 Baker gave the "hurt punch" to Alberto Torres and he passed away three days later. In August of 1972 Baker used the "hurt punch" on wrestler/promoter Ray Gunkel and Gunkel collapsed and died in the locker room right after the match. Baker was feared the land over and the "hurt punch" was banned in some states, considered the most deadly move in the history of professional wrestling.

In 2013 the legend of Ox Baker and the debilitating "hurt punch" continues vicariously through his son Ox Baker Jr. who has used the maneuver on two distinguished indie legends causing both the require extensive and very serious heart surgery.

Percival Friend, a long-time manager and sometimes commentator was the first victim to fall to Baker Jr. and the "hurt punch." Friend was on the receiving end of the move and had repeated trouble with his heart which eventually resulted in open heart surgery coming close to costing him his life.

Bull Miller, who is a mainstay on the indie scene, especially in the Ohio area, squared off against Baker Jr. and after falling to the "hurt punch" had to undergo a triple bypass which left the legendary grappler clinging to life for a number of days.

"I don't get in the ring to sing or dance, I get in the ring to hurt people," Baker Jr. said. "If there is one thing I love, just like my father before me, it is hurting people."

always good to know there's still old wrestlers facing down the Heart Punch these days

• Like 1

"I am not afraid to step back in the ring with that bum," Miller said. "Yeah I had a triple bypass probably due to that punch but the mistake he made was not finishing me. I will be back sooner or later and you can believe me when I say this you bum Ox Baker Jr. you are going to wish the worst thing you will have to go through is a triple bypass."

Awesome, I like the bit where he says his version of the punch also causes mental damage too.

who's to say the Heart Punch can't cause concussions too?

Baker Jr. has had a long running feud with another legendary son in the business, Bobo Brazil Jr. who has been on the receiving end of a number of "hurt punches" and who suffered a stroke after one match with Baker Jr

what does the Heart Punch not cause? Diabetes? Appendicitis?

Random: I don't think they could bring the Heart Punch back as a finisher (there is a logical kayfabe reason why it wouldn't work, better conditioned wrestlers). But I think the Claw could work. But it'd take some guy who could crush apples with his hand, or applying the Claw to make it look like it's crushing the nose of the other guy (thumb/pinky on temples, nose under the palm, with the visual impression that the nose is at risk, or that the guy is being smothered by the Claw)

who's to say the Heart Punch can't cause concussions too?

Baker Jr. has had a long running feud with another legendary son in the business, Bobo Brazil Jr. who has been on the receiving end of a number of "hurt punches" and who suffered a stroke after one match with Baker Jr

what does the Heart Punch not cause? Diabetes? Appendicitis?

A wan sense of intangible wistfulness.

• Like 1

Miz vs. Stubborn Five Year Old is WAY better than Miz/Kofi.

Whenever people wonder why Kofi Kingston is still employed because he's awful, midcard fodder, etc., I think we can point to this video as Exhibit A for why he's got a job with WWE.

Actually, the kids that I know love Kofi. I think WWE kinda missed the ball not pushing him to be more than what he is. 

Miz vs. Stubborn Five Year Old is WAY better than Miz/Kofi.

Whenever people wonder why Kofi Kingston is still employed because he's awful, midcard fodder, etc., I think we can point to this video as Exhibit A for why he's got a job with WWE.

Actually, the kids that I know love Kofi. I think WWE kinda missed the ball not pushing him to be more than what he is.

I remember back when AWS had a store some kids came in and absolutely lost their shit when they saw the new Kofi Kingston figure was there.

I remember reading the writers were trying to split the belts two days after Vengeance. Which is both terrible and explains a lot of the problems WWE has had for over a decade. 

This was the same writing staff that thought they could punish Steve Austin for bad mouthing them on Byte This. 

I picked up the new WWE comic today.

The cover I got is hideous, but the art inside isn't bad. It's biggest flaw is the same flaw that plagues any comic based on real people -- some of the characters look like their real-life counterparts (Dean Ambrose in particular is spot on, for instance) and others don't look at all like they're supposed to. For instance, I thought Ryback was Justin Credible, and I'm still not sure who he puts through a car window at one point.

For those of you who don't know about the comic, the first storyline (written by Mick Foley) recasts the WWE as "Titan City" and is a sort of gritty, neo-noir take on "What if the WWE were actually a city?" John Cena's a cop who spent the last year in jail after being framed for stealing money; Randy Orton and Alberto del Rio are running for DA while "The Authority" is really running things, CM Punk is a cryptoanarchist vigilante trying to "take back the city", Undertaker is... a tattoo artist? It's actually really clever, and if I understand the afterword correctly, with issue five they'll be doing a completely different take on the WWE, so it looks like a kind of Elseworlds type series that could be fun.

Foley and his co-author are pretty good; the script is a little talky, but it's nowhere near Brian Michael Bendis levels in that regard, and I'm more engaged in this storyline than most anything that's actually on their weekly tv shows.

If you already read comics, it could be worth the $3 to check it out. If you don't read comics, it won't make you change your mind. I'll probably be picking it up for a few months at least.