DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

Sounds about right. Social, physical activity/interaction... ummm, reaaaaally isn't in the cards at these shows. 

I was thinking of black metal wrestling gimmicks and only came up with Rev. Dan Wilson and Sullivan's Army, though they both fall under "cult leader gimmick" really. It would be cool for some wrestlers to come out with bullet belts and six inch nail gauntlets but people would probably just say they're channeling Demolition. 

i'm just jealous of all of you that had "clubs" and "scenes" and got to "see live music". My first concert was at age 16, we had to drive an hour and a half to get to the venue, and it was an actual venue, not a bar or nightclub or whathaveyou. 

i had never even heard the term "straight edge" until Punk, and i only know maybe 1 or 2 people who have claimed that. Now that i'm self-reflecting, i can't think of a single adult in my adolescence that didn't drink (and most smoked as well). Probably not a surprise that alcohol is my drug of choice too. I don't think i even recognized not drinking as an option. Mind you, i'm not complaining. i drink responsibly for the most part now, although that certainly wasn't always the case.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Fair enough, that’s brutal. I was on the west coast and the Nazis didn’t go anywhere so we never had a chance to see how they evolved

I remember the old joke about the difference between Nazi Skinheads and SHARP Skinheads: SHARP Skinheads hate EVERYONE.

3 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I remember the old joke about the difference between Nazi Skinheads and SHARP Skinheads: SHARP Skinheads hate EVERYONE.

Woah, this just made me realize that the skins I've known were WAY less scummy than the edge dudes and that's WILD🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Say what you want about the tenets of straight edge, dude, but at least it’s an ethos 

Goddamn you, I was gonna make that joke but decided against it 😄

I actually did know a SHARP (Skinheads Against Racial Prejucide) in the scene when I first got in town and yes, he did hate everyone haha

My first concert I waited for until I was 18! The only possible options before that were the Motley Crue and Kiss reunions in the late '90s. The first show was a roadtrip to Pittsburgh (I think), Columbus, and Cincinatti to see three shows with Deceased, Nunslaughter, and Corpsevomit, who were doing a mini-tour. So I waited for some really underground shit. 

• Like 1

One of the weirdest things about being into punk in the 90s is that the craziest shows largely involved not sXe vegan animal rights bands — Earth Crisis and the derivatives. So weird because being vegan in the 90s was insanely hard. You essentially existed on Rice Dream, plain bagels and instant soup. My vegan friends would go the Krishna temple in Philly and get people trying to convert them or go to a buffet in the basement of a sketched out Nation of Islam home where kids were being raised only on raw foods. I never associated people with vitamin deficiencies with windmill tossing but those shows were always the ones where there were fights (on top of the music sucking.)

There was a legendary show (might be on YouTube, can’t look right now) that I almost went to but doors shut before we could get in. Earth Crisis and a bunch of those bands were playing at a community college in Central Jersey. The members of this band Ink and Dagger and their cohorts from Philly went up and wore fur coats and threw yogurt at Earth Crisis and you can only guess what happened next! Truly inspired stuff of legend.

• Like 6

I remember when the skinheads showed up to a punk show and then everybody just started beating one of them up.  Then the skinheads didnt' come to the show anymore.  Oh well.  The one SHARP I knew in HS was alright, until his mom made him grow out his hair and go to church again.  Then he hated everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I briefly went to Middlesex before I got into the funeral field and went to Mercer, which is the only school in New Jersey that has funeral services as a major. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Say what you want about the tenets of straight edge, dude, but at least it’s an ethos 

Now I want a Dutch v Orange Cassidy feud where Dutch screams a Aubrey "THIS IS NOT NAM THIS IS WRESTLING THERE ARE RULES!" when OC tries his nonsense 

• Haha 1

I hate that Victory Records shit so much. Bad "hardcore" (read: slow, poor groovy metal), spinkicks from the punching penguins, athletic print sweatshirts... the only thing good about it is the unintentional hilarity. Stuff like the singer from 25 Ta Life. 

Bemasked Punk with his goons and bald (yet in true WWE style, implanted) Serena was indeed pretty good and I wish I watched more back then. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I hate that Victory Records shit so much. Bad "hardcore" (read: slow, poor groovy metal), spinkicks from the punching penguins, athletic print sweatshirts... the only thing good about it is the unintentional hilarity. Stuff like the singer from 25 Ta Life. 

Bemasked Punk with his goons and bald (yet in true WWE style, implanted) Serena was indeed pretty good and I wish I watched more back then. 

Fun fact: 25 Ta Life was the supporting act of the first show I ever went to: SOD at Tuxedo Junction in Danbury in July 1997.

Also need to point out that the people who ran Victory were lowlife sleazy crooks who fucked over countless bands.

Edited by sabremike
  • Like 2

My best friend saw a double headliner bill of 25 Ta Life and Earth Crisis in Philly. I forget why I did not go beyond it being 25 Ta Life and Earth Crisis.

Rick Ta Life was doing some kind of rant where he would give a shout out to anyone he ever met in his life. He finally said “I want to shout out to my mom” and my friend yelled out “Misses Ta Life!” and Rick flipped the hell lit and demanded to know who disrespected his mom. My friend did not identify himself. He then later set off stink bombs in the pit during Firestorm. To be that age again.

I was way more into pop-punk and ska and indie and The Lemonheads than hardcore. Not sure about elsewhere but in Jersey at some VFW show you would always get a show where the bill would have some ska band with a pun name (Skazle Tov was my favorite bad ska name), then some sXe hardcore band with a name like Ends Justify, a pop punk band where the lead singer would literally fart in the microphone, a female fronted twee band that was incredible but no one watched because girls and then, always and forever, Chisel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I also think back to the night my friends were all go to see an all hardcore show somewhere in Jersey with some god awful combination of bands like Floorpunch and Mouthpiece and Mouthpunch and Floorpiece and god knows who else. They came to my house and right when I got in the back seat I told them that I decided I didn’t want to go and I watched baseball instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It bums me out now because I don’t think there’s anywhere in town running shows like there was when I was in high school in the mid to late 90s. Makes me wonder if there just aren’t a lot of garage bands or basement bands anymore, at least around here. Shit, I don’t even know what music is anymore. Whenever I browse through Spotify’s new hits and stuff a lot of sounds like shit. But I also know there’s still a bunch of punk and goth kids. Makes me wonder where they go, if anywhere, to watch music. 

And also, so much of South Bend around Notre Dame has become very gentrified so houses I’d go to in high school just aren’t even there anymore. It’s a ton of expensive craftsman style homes and big city style brownstones. Then for the neighboring areas like Granger, where I’m at, are either subdivisions where no one wants that noise or Mishawaka, where there’s too much of a police presence and they’ll just shut it down.

To bring this back to wrestling, it kind of sucks. Even though he’s gone off the deep end, CM Punk was born out of punk scenes and so were a lot of other wrestlers. It makes me feel like we’ll never get someone brash in that sort of way ever again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had a friend who had a show at his house when his parents were out of town in a giant backyard shed. A freshman girl tried to mosh and got her teeth roundhoused out of her face. Her parents ended up making him pay for her dental work. 

To sort of bring it back to wrestling, years ago my wife’s friend got signed to this metalcore label and I had a bad feeling about it because they thought it was a good use of their money to hire Warrior to scream at one of their bands and make them run drills until they puked. 

Spoiler

• Like 1

CM Punk gives the scene world we grew up in a really bad name. It’s because most of us grew up and became adults and took the best part of basement shows — you can make your own fun, you’ll find your tribe, etc. — with us into adulthood. 

Punk decided that the best part about going to basement shows was the self-righteous scene politics part of things that made me glad I never lived in a group home with my bandmates (and I was never in a band.) Like “that guy” was enough when I was 22, imagine being not too far away from 50 and still being like that but about your fake fighting career?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Also, I loved Punk so much when he was doing the evil sXe cult leader stuff. I always wish they ran an angle where one of the members of the sXe Society took a hard turn and became Krishna.

Hey let's not bring Shelter into this now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3