DVDVR Message Board

August 2023 Wrestling Discussion

They played "Highway to Hell" so many times in the commercials for that fucking show I never wanted to ever hear it again after they were done. 

The Severn thing makes me imagine a full ring of guys dropping out under the bottom, then rushing the ring all at once, picking him up and pitching him as high and far as they can down the ramp. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Eddie Kingston just made a couple of instagram "collage posts". One is of his 8 man tag with Ishii, Yoh and Tanahashi vs TenKoji, Makabe and Tiger Mask set to Tuesday's Gone by Lynyrd Skynyrd and I'm just mesmerized scrolling through the pictures listening to the song. You guys should go check it out.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Had to tell 100% but I think this is the Atomic Dog entrance. 

https://youtu.be/2AmJvJI9k1U

Either way, maybe it was one of those Ric Flair starts coming out to Easy Lover because it's suppose to "fit in with the gimmick and it's a top radio hit" better idea on paper type things where they queued cause they felt like they had to.

Now that said, the infamous story behind the making of "Atomic Dog" fits Junkyard Dog to an absolute tee.

https://youtube.com/shorts/A7hDXgxL72A?feature=share

59 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Also Thunder Kiss with ECW hardcore TV

I was just reading some old ECW fan report recently, and the guy who wrote it said after the show The Pitbulls drove away from ECW Arena blasting their own theme music in their car with the windows down

Made my day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

what is the shittiest looking move of all time. and i mean on a consistent scale, not a one-off botch or something. 

i'm watching early 2000s wrestling and there are SO MANY BAD SHINING WIZARDS.

Watching some old territory stuff, I am gonna go with the leapfrog.

There was one in Mid Atlantic I saw recently with I believe Brian Adias tagging with Pez vs. someone (I wanna say the Grand Dragon or some goofy Great Kabuki adjacent gimmick) and another Japanese stereotype gimmick. Anyway, Adias shoots the guy off the ropes and his plan was a drop kick. The guy thinks it's a leapfrog and ducks down. It leads to the most horrific, business exposing botch you will ever see.

Adias basically shoot dropkicks the air above the guy and comes down over him.

Then maybe a week later I put on some Global and boy did Handsome Stranger (Marcus Bagwell) fuck up a leapfrog as bad as what happened with Adias.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, twiztor said:

what is the shittiest looking move of all time. and i mean on a consistent scale, not a one-off botch or something. 

The Shining Wizard was cool when Muto was doing it. And then the copycats beat the move like a dead horse lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Considered starting a new thread but I’ll just leave it here, which is “songs you associate with a particular time and place in pro wrestling”

Because “Another One Bites the Dust” just came on and that’s JYD coming for Ted DiBiase’s ASS in Irish McNeils

So, so many Indy and backyard compilations on YouTube set to Linkin Park 'Crawling' and Disturbed 'Down with the Sickness' and Drowning Pool 'Bodies' in 2001-2002...

16 minutes ago, Infinit said:

The Shining Wizard was cool when Muto was doing it. And then the copycats beat the move like a dead horse lol

...all including a minimum of 3 SWs (though, I imagine a lot of em got it from Shane Helms or AJ Styles)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Since Maffew posted this, I wonder how quickly Dan would have realized shooting in a WWF ring would have been a massive mistake. 

(Especially with Austin, Blackman, Edge, AND *Vince* all in the ring at the time.)

"There are those that talk about it, and those that do it."

Didn't do it, is currently talking about it.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, twiztor said:

Atomic drop really requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief for a knee to the ass

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

They played "Highway to Hell" so many times in the commercials for that fucking show I never wanted to ever hear it again after they were done. 

Growing up the local hard rock / classic rock station felt like their tag line should have been “all AC/DC all the time” I don’t actively dislike the band but I’ve been over them for sometime 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Atomic drop really requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief for a knee to the ass

Growing up the local hard rock / classic rock station felt like their tag line should have been “all AC/DC all the time” I don’t actively dislike the band but I’ve been over them for sometime 

This is why I don't listen to the radio anymore. I live near Seattle, and both our rock stations pretty much play the same thing every hour: AC/DC, Led Zepplin,  Metallica, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters. 10 bucks a month for Sirius XM is worth it (though I could do with not hearing Jose Mangin prattle on endlessly on Octane at least 3 times a day)

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

This is why I don't listen to the radio anymore. I live near Seattle, and both our rock stations pretty much play the same thing every hour: AC/DC, Led Zepplin,  Metallica, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Foo Fighters. 10 bucks a month for Sirius XM is worth it (though I could do with not hearing Jose Mangin prattle on endlessly on Octane at least 3 times a day)

You could always flip the dial to channel 40 Liquid Metal and listen to Jose Mangin even more. Liquid Metal and Lithium are the only two stations I really need. 

• Like 2

Being a proper Midwestern dirtbag I love AC/DC, especially Bon era of course, but only own two albums of theirs on wax: the newest one that my mom gave to me for Xmas and I never opened and... drumroll please... Highway to Hell, another Xmas gift. When I was a kid I could have owned all of them for a handful of quarters but who ever thought the radio wouldn't play every single one all the time? Now, it's only four songs from Back In Black. (This is work radio. On Sirius I only listen to Ozzy's Boneyard and even that is fraught with The Same Old Shit. There are multiple rock channels for your Led Zeppelin and I have to hear it there too?)

It's no wonder the youngins love awful shit like house music and bad pop and twee folk stylings and Dead ripoffs and nursery-rhyme level rappers. Anything probably sounds better to them than hearing "The Stroke" or "The Joker" again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

And its the same four songs from each artist...

And THAT is the grating part to me. Scorpions have like, 35 albums, and I'm sure 5-10 of them are pretty good - you can go with something other than Hurricane or No One once in a while.

But hey, that's our friends at iHeart or Clear channel or whatever the fuck it is. It's almost like all of broadcasting being controlled by a handful of the same entities was a poor idea

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Even Octane is starting to hit endless rotation of unlistenable crap (and that's not counting Mangin's tangents)

39 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Even Octane is starting to hit endless rotation of unlistenable crap (and that's not counting Mangin's tangents)

I promise I'll get back to wrestling soon, but you know what drives me kinda nuts about this guy? If James Hetfield is the interview, he's gotta have a faux-hawk too. If Vinnie Paul (RIP) was in, he's gotta have the leather cowboy hat too. If it's Jericho, he's gotta have the button-down shirt open with the crucifixes out, etc. Once I noticed it I couldn't unsee it - like, I ALMOST hate to burden you with this information.