DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2023

27 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

We need more Willows in the world.

Or you could not listen to it all the "details".

Were you the dummy who was watching the NBC special on wrestling talking how pro wrestling was using stunt grannies and how to make a blade? Fucking Harley Race. What did that hack ever do for wrestling?*

*Other than wear bad ass ultra 1970s leisure suits.

Just now, odessasteps said:

Was it really a huge gamble? 

Even as the strongest anti TK voice on the board, I didn't see how they werent got to have a huge attendance, even if it was partially papered.

Not that I have a horse in this race, but you also said it would not look good if they didn't have a enough people in the venue which I don't necessarily disagree with.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not that I have a horse in this race, but you also said it would not look good if they didn't have a enough people in the venue which I don't necessarily disagree with.

I mean, it would have funny if they ended up running in a half empty Wembley. But I didn't think that would happen because of both the fervent Euro traveling fans and TK papering if need be to get a "respectable" number.

Just now, odessasteps said:

I mean, it would have funny if they ended up running in a half empty Wembley. But I didn't think that would happen because of both the fervent Euro traveling fans and TK papering if need be to get a "respectable" number.

It doesn't mean it wasn't a big gamble. That said, if WWE can go "Our bad" and move a show from Allegiant Stadium to MGM, then AEW can move from Wembley Stadium to the O2 London. Gamble is relative to what you mean.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 赤い竜 said:

JR's contract soon expiring in two months. Mans 71 years old, best to let him go and call XPW matches, gtg.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1351788/jim-ross-aew-contract-reportedly-set-expire-wants-call/

Let him call one last event and give him the option of doing sit down interviews and countdown peices if he’s inclined to stick around

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

People in Wembley will really, really, really want to sing to Judas. If given a choice, they'd probably rather sing to Judas than to see Omega vs Ospreay III. I realize it's not a binary choice, but...

Have a ticket, can confirm.

• Like 5

Dave Meltzer reported in this week’s Wrestling Observer Newsletter that there’s been talk that Hayter will not be able to compete at All In.

“We don’t have much on Jamie Hayter but there has been at least talk she won’t make it back for Wembley, which obviously would be the goal if possible,” he wrote.

Fightful additionally reported on Friday that Hayter would not only be unable to return by All In on August 27, but a return before the end of 2023 would be “unexpected”, writing that “things seem worse with her injury than anticipated”.

Fuck. Get well soon.

• Sad 4

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Or if it is live, it'll be using the bits of the roster who aren't booked on Wembley.

Bits 😆 AEW has a roster big enough for separate shows based on individual wrestlers, they won't have any problem doing a domestic show. 

I do agree with the thought of AEW booking like a Super indy at times. Obviously I’m an ROH mark from way back and there is some magic to building a story in a limited amount of screen time. The Joe/Punk trilogy was built through the story they were telling inside the ring and the word of mouth it generated. 

To rely on that booking model so heavily when you also have 5 hours or weekly TV is such a weird thing though.

One of the main reasons this MJF/Cole stuff is working so well is because they are using their tv time to build on and fill in around what’s happening in the ring and that process is so out of the ordinary for AEW.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Infinit said:

This is pretty freaking impressive. Especially if they sell more tickets than the biggest WWE show ever.

Pssh. We all know WrestleMania XXXII really drew 101,763 😉.

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

This is pretty freaking impressive. Especially if they sell more tickets than the biggest WWE show ever.

It really is, but it seems like injuries are well on their way to screw the card out of some of the biggest possible matches for it! They better fly all the injured people there too, so they can at least play the bagpipes for the crowd, or something! How long would it take to learn to play Judas with bagpipes? If they all started practicing rigorously right now?

Edited by Shartnado
Typo
  • Like 2

I don’t think injuries are going to screw this shit out of the biggest match-ups possible - fans have just worked themselves into a fervor that this show is going to be a dream card and simultaneously Forbidden Door 3. All because it’s at a big stadium.

I mean, Ultimate Warrior did a damn near 30 minute match at SS ‘92 so Jericho/Ospreay is on-brand for what Wembley usually gets.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don’t think injuries are going to screw this shit out of the biggest match-ups possible - fans have just worked themselves into a fervor that this show is going to be a dream card and simultaneously Forbidden Door 3. All because it’s at a big stadium.

I mean, Ultimate Warrior did a damn near 30 minute match at SS ‘92 so Jericho/Ospreay is on-brand for what Wembley usually gets.

It's also hilarious that people will scrutinize the All In card up-and-down but the legacy event we all love and cherish was littered with trash like Crush-Repo Man, Nailz-Virgil, and Taker-Kamala. An Intercontinetal Championship Match between Bret Hart and Davey Boy Smith was absolutely no one's dream match in 1992. But they booked the match and then built a great angle within weeks. It's pretty much universally agreed that the whole "Who's side will Mr. Perfect be on?" angle was a big fluff of nothing, but there is a legitimate classic half hour match between two of the great wrestling characters that has endured for decades. And that's it, its a 2-match card. 

This has been said, but if you've never been to an AEW show and get to see your first one ever with 70k+ people, you won't care about dream matches and prestige TV, you want Max Caster's rap, you want tha BOOM!, you want to sing along to Judas. The MJF-Cole story has been incredible and I'm quite certain whatever they decide to do with it won't shit the bed. 

Edited by peachchaos
  • Like 5

Let us not forget that even that match had Davey Boy blowing up minutes in and Bret having to carry him like a fireman all the way through, to and over the finish line. 

There's one thing I would like them to put on the show and have resolved and that's Keith Lee vs. Swerve. 

• Like 3

Why are we revising our expectations based on thirty year old down-era WWF? They’re running an AEW PPV in a stadium, the fans haven’t worked themselves into anything, AEW has established a standard it needs to meet or exceed.

All this because of a rumoured middle of the card match with nothing else announced is very funny. Maybe just chill till we see more of what’s on tap? 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Why are we revising our expectations based on thirty year old down-era WWF? They’re running an AEW PPV in a stadium, the fans haven’t worked themselves into anything, AEW has established a standard it needs to meet or exceed.

All this because of a rumoured middle of the card match with nothing else announced is very funny. Maybe just chill till we see more of what’s on tap? 

I’m not revising my expectations, I just thought it was funny (mainly because I’ve never watched SummerSlam 1992 and was surprised to see Warrior in a 28 minute match.

My only expectation is to have Punk on the card. That’s all I want, really.

I think I’m more worried about meh storylines of a Jericho vs Ospreay build up then whether or not the match will be good. Jericho has several really good matches in AEW. Put him with an athletic stud or interesting performer and it usually does well.

Note on the singing: the time I saw Jericho at the legendary QUAKE BY THE LAKE I was pretty pumped to sing. He was Lionheart against Mox and we got his old entrance music. Pretty fun still. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Natural Disasters vs Beverly Brothers is the best match of Summerslam 92. Just saying.

That's a weird way to spell "Shawn Michaels vs. Rick Martel where they can't punch each other in the face or Sherri will faint", but the keys are like right next to each other on the keyboard so I suppose it's a common typo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

That's a weird way to spell "Shawn Michaels vs. Rick Martel where they can't punch each other in the face or Sherri will faint", but the keys are like right next to each other on the keyboard so I suppose it's a common typo.

It's time like this where only being able to issue one reaction is a real problem.