DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JULY 2023

When I was 4 years old, I rolled over in my sleep, fell off the top bunk, broke my collarbone, climbed back up and went back to sleep, and then didn’t tell my parents that my arm hurt until the following evening.

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It was pretty much the exact same thing, only involving a shitload of vodka

Somehow, I've never injured myself after years of drinking and drugging. I'm pretty sure I've got a guardian angel or two looking out for me, and no I don't mean Ray Traylor. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Octopus said:

damn it. Wrong thread…. Uh….. Evil Uno or Dr Luther?

There's a relatively low ceiling for both of them. Luther is there to bedevil Serpentico with bad advice and self-inflicted damage with the occasional bit of positive motivation and effective tactics. Despite his age, he cuts a more imposing figure than Evil Uno. Uno serves more as an interesting and dissonant piece of background imagery. He catches your eye and adds to the overall weirdness that makes pro wrestling so unique and amazing. Neither of their primary skills, deathmatch wrestling for Luther and complex spot-laden tags for Uno are at play currently. In fact, I've always found Silver/Reynolds to be more talented in that area than Uno and I think Uno's big chances at singles matches, vs Moxley and Danielson have disappointed, the Danielson match far more than the Moxley match. Even in the latter, he bled big and again, it was an interesting visual overall, but the things that make him special on offense weren't tapped into in either case. The usefulness of both tends to be stunted with the lack of Dark/Elevation. They were great cogs in multi-man tags filling time and providing extra bits of substance and entertainment against the Wingmen or Best Friends or even each other during 2021-2022. Even then, I found Luther's act a little broader (especially bolstered by Wight's fun commentary) than Uno tossing his opponent's leg to either an other opponent or the ref EVERY match. Spots like that should be rarer though at least he switched it up. There's less of a need for that entertaining time-filling on ROH TV. It remains to be seen what role Uno will have after the apparent heel turn and the match on Friday against the Righteous. Serpentico and Luther are making themselves additionally useful with agent work.

• Like 8

I’m bigger on Uno as the friend that gets torn apart. Instead of Marko Stunt being thrown across the ring, he is so sympathetic in how his body folds and drops to a violent beating. I also find his voice and presence endearing. If they put more production value in the video game YouTube it would be on par with UUDD with the characters and charisma at their fingertips. I have not seen a lot of his PWG tags so I am not familiar enough with any Indy epics and how he would be presented differently maybe more as a threat. I did enjoy his early years as a Nintendo controller in CHIKARA.

Lither is fun because he’s Luther. The loss of the YouTube shows really hurts the ability to see him. He’s a silly super villain that can be one upped by Negative One when they need that. I think it could be funny to do a face turn with Chaos Project where they’re more like the Neo Solar Temple then actually traditional good guys. MegaMind, if you will. But I wouldn’t put that over anything we’re seeing that’s getting tv time now or even arguably should be getting time that isn’t. So if he’s a good agent, awesome! He also fits a Nakazawa/ Cutler/ Ace Steele roll of having your top star(s) happy by their employment. Although that sounds demeaning it is pretty important.

Silver and Reynolds being brought up means I should ramble. I think there is money in Silver but I’d keep them together. If I had to vacuum watch a random match, I’d choose Uno & Stu for maybe no reason outside of just Uno & Stu make me happy. Weird, I know. Saying that, the money is in Silver & Reynolds and they’d have a fun run with the right storyline. I think Reynolds is underrated with his presence and visually has improved his charismatic facial reactions in segments. He doesn’t get a pat on the back enough. 

Back to Uno vs Luther, they’d have a fun violent match I’d love to see at a live venue. Book it, Arik Cannon! I’m leaning Uno and still being nervous about how a heel jealous Dark Order will look. I’d do things different, but I’d be unsuccessful and Tony Khan has proven me wrong numerous times. So meh.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

broke my humerus bone

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It has a numb indention in the bottom

I guess you could say that you…..lost your sense of humer? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Sorry, I don't dig people who don't look or work remotely credible in any context.

It wasn’t an insult, it was a sex in username joke with the chalmydia reference. No dig intended 👍

edit: for real, no disrespect intended and was a username reference. Apologies if I came off differently, @Sex Machine Gun.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 3:01 AM, Go2Sleep said:

I'm beginning to wonder if that "banned moves" thing from last week was total BS. Kota did a buckle bomb in the B&G match. While one could understand why he may not be up to speed on such things, it wouldn't explain the Bucks going along with it since they did a double eznuigiri as part of the spot. Also there was a suplex into the buckles during the 2/3 falls match last Saturday.

It's not a banned moves list tho. It's a list of moves / spots that need to be approved. You can use a buckle bomb, just have to get it approved by your agent. You can use an apron spot. Just have to get it approved by an agent. Seizure selling is probably something you can ask for approval for, but will never get. I think it's less about limiting these "dangerous" moves (seriously I've taken over 100 buckle bombs there's nothing dangerous about it except Sting getting hurt & being unaware he had stenosis before taking it), I think it's more about differentiating the matches. You don't want two matches back to back that hinge their cutoff around a reverse rana to floor for instance.

I think AEW is self aware enough that they know their bread and butter audience are the ones who don't enjoy WWE's ultra PG presentation. So doing a full on banned moves list with silly things that aren't even dangerous would probably get them a bit of negativity.

No, it was reported that stuff like buckle bombs were on the banned moves list. It was split into two categories, banned and need permission. You’re getting the spots in the categories mixed up.

Supposedly banned:

unprotected chair shots to the head

shots to the back of the head

buckle bombs and blind moves backwards into the turnbuckle

fencing responses (unnatural position of arms following a concussion)

seizure sells

spitting

bleeding in the crowd

weapons or projectiles in the crowd

taking drinks or food from guests in the crowd

physical contact with the crowd

nothing with blood on it should be thrown into the crowd

Supposedly require approval:

Spots and bumps on the ring apron and outside

Table/ladder/chair spots in and out of the ring (Only allowed with padding)

Any elevated spots outside of the barricades (dives and ladder spots on stage, around the arena, and other places outside of the ring)

All piledriver/tombstone variations, including: sit down drivers, inverted/poison hurricarana and vertebreakers

High-risk dives or top rope moves (450, 630, double moonsaults, SSP, etc.)

Intentional bleeding (of any sort, not just blading)

Throwing people into/through/over ring steps, commentary table, bell table, or guardrails/barricades

Weapon usage:- Chairs, pipes, kendo sticks, hammers, ring bells, bats, chains, etc. Title belts- Thumbtacks, skewers, barbed wire, and other sharp/puncturing objects, Powders, aerosol sprays, or liquids

Throwing any weapons or objects- chairs, etc.

Choking/strangling with hands or a weapon or hanging spots

Injury spots or angles, whether or not medical is involved/called to the ring

Any physicality in the crowd or crowd brawling

Any physicality involving referees, managers, extras, celebrities, or special guests

Edited by Casey

I don't really believe what was reported is actuate then. At least in regards to buckle bombs and blind into the corner things. Sending someone into the buckle is banned now? Highly doubt it. That is "blind and backwards into the buckle". Blows to the back of the head are banned? Even safely worked ones? I just don't buy it. The rest of what's on that list makes sense to me. Unprotected chair shots to the head, seizure sells and fencing response. Blood & weapons in the crowd. That all makes sense. But there's no way in hell anyone is going to get me to believe sending your opponent in for a hard buckle is banned now.

I don't work there. I've never been backstage there. I don't have any first hand knowledge. I'm just saying I don't buy the accuracy of the reporting.

• Like 2