DVDVR Message Board

Forbidden Door II - 6/25/2023

The Natural

Here is what I put on the Discord.

"As someone who has seizures and has almost bit their tongue off from one, and has broken their T-11 vertebrae from 'em, that's not cool. Nor is doing the Crossface. At the same time... this is wrestling. I gotta think on this.

[10:03 PM]

It DEFINITELY upset me. I thought it was a shoot.

[10:07 PM]

They did their job, though. They sold a match for the next big card. They made everyone believe, even without blood. They stopped (almost literally) the fuckin' show.

[10:08 PM]

I'm sitting here without words beyond those"

It was actually my T-11 AND T-12 in retrospect. I don't know, I'm still conflicted. I'd never ever want anyone to feel demeaned, hurt, whatever by the bullshit tonight, in any case. Those of us who have disabilities know that, intimately. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Haven’t gotten started on the show yet, but I’m sorry something yucked your yum on a match I know you were so looking forward to. That sucks. I was hoping they’d come out with at least your unambiguous MOTY pick.  

Cheers, mate.

Main event was solid, but I felt like the crowd could have been more into it. The Omega/Ospreay match was my MOTN probably followed by the 10 man tag. Crowd loved Eddie Kingston and rightfully so. I will say it felt like the show flew by though. The Final Countdown was awesome.

• Like 2

Pretty great show. Didn’t love the Jackson’s getting to look like tough guys when they bitched in their book about getting tuned up in a pro wrestling match, but this show was pretty good otherwise.

32 minutes ago, Raziel said:

It's amazing how 2 spectacular matches were just nuked by someone deciding to do something that SOMEONE should've told them no to.  I know Kenny is going to get a pass because of Kenny, but man, Danielson needed to be told no.  They had to fight that last 5 minutes and they never got it back.

If you're talking about the Hulk Up,  the crowd came unglued.  It was awesome.  

Believe it or not I'm reminded of Okada vs. Marty Scurll at the original All In. A long one that didn't click and kind of goofed the rest of the card in retrospect.

The ten-man tag was brilliant for a number of reasons, not the least of which was BASKING in the DEEP WEIRDNESS of Konosuke Takeshita wrestling New Japan guys. I know more than a few of us were ground-floor Takeshita hype guys when he debuted as that weird-skinny "next Ibushi" in DDT a decade ago and to watch EVERYTHING click with him in the States feels unprecedented. Shinsuke wishes.

• Like 4

Look, was the end of Omega/Ospreay a *lot*? Yeah. But that was your pretty standard modern NJPW “passing the torch” match structure. The upstart always has to unload their full clip, and borrow somebody else’s clip, and maybe drop a tactical nuke, to finally put down the established guy.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Believe it or not I'm reminded of Okada vs. Marty Scurll at the original All In. A long one that didn't click and kind of goofed the rest of the card in retrospect.

Thank you for reminding me that this immensely weird match happened.

I’m now vividly recalling Paul Turner shouting in vain from ringside for them to take it home. MARTYYYYY.

22 minutes ago, Krone said:

Main event was solid, but I felt like the crowd could have been more into it. The Omega/Ospreay match was my MOTN probably followed by the 10 man tag. Crowd loved Eddie Kingston and rightfully so. I will say it felt like the show flew by though. The Final Countdown was awesome.

A good portion of the live crowd in the arena, myself included, were completely spent after Ospreay / Omega.

A noticeable number of people left during the match too as the last trains out of downtown were at 12 midnight. 

Edited by ChesterCopperpot
  • Like 1

Home. Likely PPV of the year. Really enjoyed it. I’ll likely go the theater route again. We had a scare of technical difficulties that made me miss half the CM Punk match, but smooth the rest of the time. Not a bad match on the show.

LOVED the Elitestonii vs BCC+. Kingston instinctually saving Mox even after their chop off was a nice touch. Takeshita came off like a star and Shota is money!

4 way was a blast. Plenty of fun moments. I’m loving OC’s title reign.

I could have gotten past the seizure sell if there was more match afterwards. Still shocked by the submission, hopefully leads to more from them. 

I love Suzuki.

• Like 6

How about this show kind sucked even without Danielson's stupid seizure spot? 

Ospreay and Kenny continuing to do their absolutely nightmarish, masturbatory version of a Shawn vs Shawn guitar battle of a match actually makes me think I should just stop ordering this ppv every year so long as Ospreay is gonna keep being on it. For the record we had: Bret/Shawn spots to get cheap heat in Canada...in 2023. A Benoit spot. A Tiger Driver 91 spot in a match between two guys who wrestle nothing like Benoit but who both practically define the term "weeboo". This crap was like every shitty overblown 2004 US "strong style" Indy match thrown into a blender. People who mark out for Ospreay should actually be ashamed of themselves as human beings--much like his great precursor HBK, his shitty self indulgent wrestling style is just a grimy mirror bend up to his shitty IRL behavior, and both guys have become lionized by people who ooh and ahh at explosions and fast moving objects. This match absolutely blew and was somehow also boring on top of being filled with dumb contrived spots and gore with no believable hatred between the two guys, who are obviously both very aware of how much they can exploit one another as an excuse to cram more of their own shit into creepy wankfest. 

Tanahashi looked really bad, tonight and on Collision. I know it's hard to come to terms with these things but he's not "working smart" at this point --hes hardly working at all, just counting on his opponents to work around him. Its vad when MJF's cheap heat insults actually come off like tough but fair appraisals. This felt like a Legends Match where both guys knew the one guy was only good for like 1 or 2 bumps so they killed some time getting heat before going home. Which is fine and in the right context can be great but it's not a ppv title match. 

Punk vs Kojima absolutely overdelivered and I really liked it. Kojima looks and works fantastic for his age. Punk feeling out the crowd and figuring how out how his character will react to their hostility in real time is compelling. Would have been nice if even one of our expert broadcasters could have pointed out that aside from the Mongolian Chop, Punk's actual finisher the Anaconda Vice was also lifted from Tenzan. But maybe that's asking too much. Great storytelling, and they even convinced me Kojima might win at one point even though he obviously wasn't going to. 

I thought that four way and Sanada/JB were both good but ended abruptly to make room for longer matches that I didn't like. JB's heel turn was solid though. 

I really liked the wild 10 man tag, particularly the Eddie vs Moxley stuff. I am a big enough Ishii mark that I still think he should be IWGP champ right now instead of Sanada, but even I don't understand him beating Yuta. Wheeler is coming off pinning Omega and Bandido and kicking out of the buckshot lariat. Now he's jobbing to Ishii. Ricky Starks did a friggin second job to Jay White last night. For a company ostensibly centred around the idea of promoting new exciting talent there's an awful lot of austerity in terms of protecting the same guys for years and years while treating the new guys like chumps once they finally start getting main event programs. Speaking of which:

Willow/Toni Storm was good but I would have just done the title change. Felt like a finish we've seen a million times and Willow shouldn't be losing to anyone atm. Toni Storm is very much "just another person on the roster" and they should have put the belt on Ruby instead of her once Hayter got hurt. 

I hate the Righteous and they were on the pre-show. They didn't wrestle but I had to hear their awful theme and watch their cringey acting. This all factors in to my negative appraisal.

The Naito Jericho six man was mostly just me worrying about Sting but I got the feeling they ran short on time or something (or Darby and Sting maybe both got hurt?). Fine for what it was and all six guys looked good but it never really got off the ground. The Darby/Suzuki stuff made me want a singles match between them. 

Main event just never really connected, even before the stupid fake seizure thing. Like if you described the match on paper it would sound like they did everything right but I just didn't get any chemistry between these two beyond a very precise and impressive exchange of holds and demonstrations of moves, running through creative spots, etc. Crowd really wanted to feel it but even the chants sounded a little half hearted. Then that spot that no one should have to dismiss their negative feelings about just because it took place amidst "5 hours of great wrestling".

Remember last year when Forbidden Door had a crummy card and bad lead-in tv but ended up being really good? This was the opposite of that. It had a great card, great tv for the past month, and then we got a bunch of rushed matches in between two long matches that were both, in their own way, narcissistic shitshows.

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

A good portion of the live crowd in the arena, myself included, were completely spent after Ospreay / Omega.

A noticeable number of people left during the match too as the last trains out of downtown were at 12 midnight. 

I was there as well and I felt like the main could've used another act. Which is saying something because it didn't feel like a 27 minute match. Same with the length of Ospreay/Omega. That definitely didn't feel like 35+ minutes. Was fantastic stuff. Also shout out to the four way match. OC is just the man and so is Shibata. Crowd loved that DG dance.

• Like 2

The 4-way feels like it was a week ago already, but I remember really liking how they threaded through a lot of different stories, with Shibata/ZSJ being the Christmas tree that all the other stories got wrapped around.

• Like 4

For me the issue is on top of the seizure spot, the production of grabbing a doctor and having the momentum stop. It’s more than too realistic of selling off of traumatic history but also the show of it itself. Like is it a planned moment or the ref acting accordingly not being in on the bit? 

• Like 1

For those of you who were there, how full was the building? There's been quite a lot of kvetching about AEW's ticket sales and territory fatigue so I'm wondering what the actual turnouts were like for the Toronto shows.