DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 5/22 - 5/27/2023

Dolfan in NYC

It's time to Go Home.... to Saudi Arabia...

Hmm.  Well, hopefully AJ and Seth actually talk to each other, or fight, or something.  Let's see. 

The best.  

• Like 1

Meltzer:

Dakota Kai's injury was confirmed as a torn ACL. The injury took place in the same match on May 12 that Liv Morgan was injured in with Raquel Rodriguez & Morgan vs. Kai & Bayley for the WWE Women's Tag Team titles. The word was that she was injured after Morgan suffered her shoulder injury and the knee injury came in a spot where she knew Morgan was hurt and was trying to protect her.

Bugger. Best wishes to Liv Morgan and Dakota Kai. Kudos to Kai protecting Morgan.

Let me preface that this is no knock on her as a worker, but I really hate just about everything about how WWE presents Raquel Rodriguez on the main roster. Her theme reminds me of the late 90s when WCW would bring in luchadores and give them you know Football Highlights #45 or whatever, but WWE had some generic latin guitar for an empty room song for every luchadore on TV. Rodriguez is big/scary, her theme should be imposing. Then she comes out, smiling and waving, turns her back and flexes her back muscles while trying to smile at the crowd over her shoulder and it looks SO stupid and forced. Once she gets in the ring, it's fine and good, but everything leading up to it is just terrible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Brock stepping on Cody's arm reminded me of Thorgrim in Conan the Barbarian grinding his boot into Schwarzeneggar's hand. 

Cagematch says Devitt and Nak had 54 matches but they were a looooooong time ago. The last one was in 2011! Also, those boys sure are "artists in the combat space" 🙄

WTF is that... thing... on Becky's face? Is it a leftover purchase from Spirit Halloween? Did she borrow it from Rollins?

Why does the Irish announcer always sound like he's out of breath? 

Main was good. Worth it to see Riddle get chopped and fall on his nuts on the top turnbuckle too. 

3 hours ago, caley said:

Let me preface that this is no knock on her as a worker, but I really hate just about everything about how WWE presents Raquel Rodriguez on the main roster. Her theme reminds me of the late 90s when WCW would bring in luchadores and give them you know Football Highlights #45 or whatever, but WWE had some generic latin guitar for an empty room song for every luchadore on TV. Rodriguez is big/scary, her theme should be imposing. Then she comes out, smiling and waving, turns her back and flexes her back muscles while trying to smile at the crowd over her shoulder and it looks SO stupid and forced. Once she gets in the ring, it's fine and good, but everything leading up to it is just terrible.

She needs to turn heel yesterday.

I'm copping an attitude tonight, so here are two other things I seethingly scoffed at:

- Trying everything they possibly could to not say "Saudi Arabia" when promoting their giant event from ... Saudi Arabia (I think I heard it ONCE). You're not fooling anyone.

- Tyler fucking Black, the most cookie cutter of all current "WWE superstars," talking about "change" as if he doesn't run down every single guy who doesn't work WWE-style every chance he gets. Get AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL the way the fuck outta here.

• Like 2

My Saudi gripe is them having to pimp THREE MAIN EVENTS because it's Saudi. You can't have three main events, I don't care if you raised the corpses of Andre, Yoko, Warrior, and whoever else dead the kings would want and put them as two main events over a match with modern guys. 

Reed/Ricochet was pretty nice.

Candice/Stark was fine while it lasted.

Alpha Academy vs. Viking Raiders was decent. Always nice to see the crowd into Otis and it built up well enough that they gave a damn when Gable lost. 

Balor/Nakamura was solid.

Raquel/Sonya was a match. Short and nothing standout. Was really just about the post match setting up Shotzi as Raquel's partner.

The Becky/Trish signing was pretty solid if a bit long. 

Crews/Dom was a solid. Dug the bits of showcase from Crews and Dom was an excellent little shit as usual. Rhea picked her spots to interfere well. Thought the finish was pretty nice.

The Cody/Brock beatdowns were fine. I assume this is either leading to a Cody loss in SA or its to invoke the same type of feeling there was when he face Seth at HIAC last year. Guessing he disappears for bit regardless of the outcome post-NOC.

Imperium vs. Sami/KO/Riddle was good, probably MOTN.

Skipped all of the Seth interview segments which were a bit much with how many there were. Show was generally fine, but 3 hours will always be too long for this kind of show.

• Like 1

It would be great if the only reason they are pushing 3 Main Events is because Backlash in Puerto Rico pushed 2 Main events and the I have strong opinions about the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which you should PM me about. But I wanted to express them here too because I can't help myself Markers demanded they have 3. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caley said:

I'll take this sanitized stuff over her NXT entrance. As a biker it drove me mental every time she'd come out on a motorcycle without a helmet on. Like I know it's only down the entrance ramp but if you're trying to play to the kids in a lot of ways BASIC SAFETY, CABRONES

Edited by Nineteen
-pressed send too soon-
  • Like 3

Show was alright tonight. I don't get why Cody needs another hill to climb this time with a supposed broken arm. Fighting a pissed off Lesnar is right off a mountain to climb.

Aside from get things were ok. Brock created a new meme when he told Ali to get a life. 

Main event was good. Surprised the was no Solo run in. 

In the opening segment, I was hoping Owens was going to dedicate their match to The Quebecers.

As much as I hate contract signing segments on general principle, Becky's promo was really good.

I'm interested in a Nakamura/Priest match. Looks like the only one on one they had before was at Survivor Series 21

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Why does the Irish announcer always sound like he's out of breath? 

Oh man, I love him so much. First match of the night, first exchange of the night and he sounds like it's the most exciting thing he's ever seen. Somehow, some way, he ALWAYS sounds like he is breathlessly enthralled by the action. And it never sounds like he's forcing it. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Show was alright tonight. I don't get why Cody needs another hill to climb this time with a supposed broken arm. Fighting a pissed off Lesnar is right off a mountain to climb.

Aside from get things were ok. Brock created a new meme when he told Ali to get a life. 

Main event was good. Surprised the was no Solo run in. 

I'm guessing it's so when Lesnar squares the ledger for a rubber match, he's got an excuse. 

My guess is instant tap out minute kimura is applied/finish that should have happened with the Penta match in AEW

7 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

It would be great if the only reason they are pushing 3 Main Events is because Backlash in Puerto Rico pushed 2 Main events and the I have strong opinions about the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which you should PM me about. But I wanted to express them here too because I can't help myself Markers demanded they have 3. 

I feel like there might be a framistan here... but yeah. There does seem to be a sense of escalation for the sake of escalation. (... is it me or would escalation make a decent name for an AEW youtube show?)

Edited by Iron Moose
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

I feel like there might be a framistan here... but yeah. There does seem to be a sense of escalation for the sake of escalation. (... is it me or would escalation make a decent name for an AEW youtube show?)

There is. You've discovered another in your post. I'm all for Escalation as a show for how Batman Begins (2005) used it in THAT ending, the best scene in The Dark Knight Trilogy.