DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 5/1 - 5/7/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Raquel/Liv vs. Bayley/Dakota was solid.

Braun/Ricochet vs. Alpha Academy started off well then just sort of ended. Felt like it needed another few minutes, especially with the crowd so into the Braun/Otis faceoff.

Riddle/Jimmy was fine. Was kind of weird seeing the face chear so much though i guess it was supposed to be payback to the Bloodline for the past few weeks. Was amusing, but I don't think it hit the crowd as well as they hoped. Not terribly but not great either.

The Judgement Day promo was enjoyable if only because of Dom being hated so damn much. The crowd tried so hard to not let him speak and only booed him more when he finally got his words out. The LWO vs. Judgement Day mixed tag afterward was pretty fun. 

Solo/Seth was decent up until the predictable fuck finish that saw a dq and brawl between Bloodline & KO/Sami/Riddle/Rollins. 

The draft picks were mostly ok. Not happy LWO is staying on Smackdown. I really wanted the feud with Judgement Day and them to continue. Makes me hope those house shows in Mexico sneak online somehow since they will definitely do Dom/Rey or the groups battling at them. Was pleased to see Pretty Deadly, KC Squared, and Cameron Grimes all brought up. They have all been ready for a while now with KC alongside Indi having been in NXT for at least 5 years now. Does make the women's tag titles match a bit of an oddity for tomorrow. I assume the belts either disappear for a while or a returning Dusty Cup decides new champs. 

10 minutes ago, caley said:

Weird to have Grayson Waller featured so heavily on NXT for the past half a year/year now then selected off-air as a supplemental pick. 

I thought the same thing. I was totally expecting him to be announced in the spot Grimes was announced at.

At this rate they might have to sign talent just to have an NXT Women's Tag Title match.   The drafted the champion.  They announced a tag title match and they they draft their opponents.

Still a little weird that Bron wasn't one of the guys elevated.   I guess they want him to season the heel character for another year.  

7 hours ago, caley said:

Weird to have Grayson Waller featured so heavily on NXT for the past half a year/year now then selected off-air as a supplemental pick. 

What's weird is he feels like in some ways what they want Austin Theory to be to me. I could be off base there, but he just seems more interesting. 

Free agents:

Brock Lesnar

Omos and MVP

Von Wagner

Baron Corbin

Elias

Cedric Alexander

Shelton Benjamin

Xyon Quinn

Mustafa Ali

Dolph Ziggler

There are also the other Superstars not included because of their injuries and inactiveness.

The Raw roster looks really face heavy and better suited to accommodate a heel champion with a number of viable babyface challengers than vice versa. Which I think might actually be smart. Let a heel be the guy who has to eat shit for celebrating winning a 3rd place trophy.

If they go face champ for any length of time, I’d expect a slew of heel turns over the next few months (Drew?) and JBL-style “jamming it down your throat” elevations of lower card heels to feed the champ. Or, fuck, another Miz run at the main event.

May 8 is when the latest draft roster goes into effect. So this week's Friday is the last show using the previous draft order from the previous Vince and Bruce and co team.

No tag teams were disbanded, so another of Vince's creative quirks dropped.

The WWE also announced that the ring announcers are flip flopping with Samantha Irvin going to RAW and Mike Rome going to Smackdown

(This is due to Irvin being engaged to Ricochet who got drafted to RAW)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

At this rate they might have to sign talent just to have an NXT Women's Tag Title match.   The drafted the champion.  They announced a tag title match and they they draft their opponents.

Still a little weird that Bron wasn't one of the guys elevated.   I guess they want him to season the heel character for another year.  

I actually have a theory on this. We'll see. But The Women's Tag Champs were drafted to Raw. The NXT Women's Tag Champs were drafted to Smackdown (and their next challengers). They could be using this as a way to do split rand women's tag titles onthe main brands. I expect the men's tag titles to get split up some point soon as well. I keep expecting and wanting some sort of parity and internal logic, both shows having equal titles and all that. If it doesn't happen after this draft it will never happen.

I prefer all the titles unified. But if that isn't in the plans (and it's not going by them creating a new men's world title), I am begging for some logic and parity. Don't make the women trade titles. Rebrand them Universal & World. Split the men's tag titles up and rebrand them Universal & World. Keep the NXT tag titles on Smackdown and rebrand them as Universal while Raw keeps World women's tag title.

I for the life of me do no understand the appeal of the writing always being so messy and haphazard when it comes to the structure of what titles are where and why.

• Like 1

Wes/Gulak was pretty solid while it lasted but felt on the short side.

The Trick/Bron segment was solid. Even dug the little pep talk Apollo gave Trick later on. Trick is probably the best talker in NXT and could really be a star if his ring work was half as good. Its catching up but its been a slow journey. The Bron match will be an interesting test for him. 

Gigi/Jacy was another ok but short match. The post match beating was nice due to a bloody Jacy looking unhinged. Still not entirely sure where she got busted open. 

Axiom/Scrypts was fun as a little showcase for Scrypts. The post match was a nice moment speaking to Axiom's character. Curious if they go anywhere with the Reggie reveal or if he just disappears.

Dragon/JD built into something pretty damn good as expected. An excellent match for JD to go out on. Still kind of annoyed to see Dragon Lee take his first loss here even if it was due to Noam Dar's interference. 

Gacy/Coffey was fine. Kind of dug the finish.

Dani/Tatum was a good showcase for Palmer. She seems a bit more together than Sol did when she debuted last year. I can see why they put the two together with the impressive athleticism both show. Despite being a showcase for Palmer, Tatum wasn't without her moments as well. Hopefully they put her together with someone soon to give her a decent direction. 

KC Squared vs. Fyre & Dawn was good. Not the smoothest but both teams generally worked well together and busted out some neat stuff. Did feel sorry for poor Kacy/Katana at the end. Her nose was busted open on that combo Gory Bomb/Flatliner finish.

The final segment with Indi talking about her journey, saying her goodbyes, and leaving in Dexter's arms was good. The Way/Index story has to be one of the top 5 in NXT overall. Glad to see Indu not only moving to the main roster but going out on top as well.

The brawl ending the show right after was fun to see. Curious if everyone involved is actually in the tournament and whether or not they finally reveal who has been attacking the women's division with an earlier overview they showed. 

I can see Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes II at SummerSlam if Cody Rhodes wins the MITB but announces ahead of time when he's doing it like Rob Van Dam did vs. John Cena at ECW One Night Stand 2006.

• Like 1