DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2023

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Yes we've all be wondering what Punk could have done to piss off the Bucks

Okay let me rephrase that.  😁  The ones that besides the obvious like Punk, FTR, and Thunder Rosa.   Like what the hell did  Powerhouse Hobbs do to get on that list.   Julia Hart was one one list I thought 

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sounds like there's no streaming attached or else I'd guess that would be announced. AEW really needs to get away from the super dated PPV model. 

One of the many many rumors/theories was that they wouldn't want to announce that PPVs are going to Max (if they are) until after Double or Nothing, as they are afraid people wouldn't buy that one if they knew future one would only be $10. Don't know if that is true but I can see the logic of not wanting to announce a new streaming deal until after any full priced PPVs take place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Who did Jade piss off?

Nerds on the internet. 

Not me. Other nerds. 

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Okay let me rephrase that.  😁  The ones that besides the obvious like Punk, FTR, and Thunder Rosa.   Like what the hell did  Powerhouse Hobbs do to get on that list.   Julia Hart was one one list I thought 

There needs to be a pool of people willing to work with Punk and the other "malcontents." Thus, Hobbs is getting a promotion to headliner.

Honestly, that pool is a little thinner than I'd prefer thus far. Who's getting custody of Darby and Sting? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

One of the many many rumors/theories was that they wouldn't want to announce that PPVs are going to Max (if they are) until after Double or Nothing, as they are afraid people wouldn't buy that one if they knew future one would only be $10. Don't know if that is true but I can see the logic of not wanting to announce a new streaming deal until after any full priced PPVs take place.

Tony had the weird throwaway line in the original Wembley reveal about "celebrating 100 years of Warner Bros.", so maybe All In airs live on Max as a one-off special and that's it

Maybe it has been answered already but we still have the biggest question for me on this brand split is how are we handling PPV's.  If we have to create a new brand because people can't get along with each other what is going to happen there?  Are we doing brand separate PPVs now?  if not then they better upgrade their security

This reminds me of that old Treehouse of Horrors episode where Homer and Bart get on a plane to evacuate the Earth and think they're going to be saved only to learn they are on the same plane as the Tom Arnolds and Pauly Shores of the world and headed right for the sun.  

Overall, I am thrilled. WBD is showing a big commitment to AEW which means years of great matches and an alternative to WWE. 

• Like 4

As far as listening to veterans, Vader told a story of how Ole Anderson used to tell him not to do Moonsaults or the Vader Bomb, because Vader was a big man and bus men don’t fly, ever ever ever.

Years later, Vader saw a Will Ospreay clip online and said it looked over choreographed and fake. This lead to Vader vs Ospreay in London, Vader getting to see and hear for himself that Ospreay’s stuff gets over, and concede that he was being the Ole Anderson in the situation.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Maybe it has been answered already but we still have the biggest question for me on this brand split is how are we handling PPV's.  If we have to create a new brand because people can't get along with each other what is going to happen there?  Are we doing brand separate PPVs now?  if not then they better upgrade their security

For me, the main issue is getting everything from one source, even if PPV's cost extra. Right now it's a mess for international fans. As far as brand specific PPV's are concerned, if that means twice as many old fashioned PPV's with half the crew, that will be quite the task to get the fanbase to pay full price for that. Dammit, I had a good thing going there for a year, but I guess that was too much to ask.

This does not apply to everyone, but for me, I have FITE subscription for PPV's and AEW back catalogue, DAZN for current Dynamite and Rampage (which gets updated way late for some reason) and Impact as a nice bonus. Now I would then need to re-up on MAX once more and give another try to Honor Club at some point. That is an awful amount of streaming services just to keep up with one thing (basically). Not super happy about it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Years later, Vader saw a Will Ospreay clip online and said it looked over choreographed and fake. This lead to Vader vs Ospreay in London, Vader getting to see and hear for himself that Ospreay’s stuff gets over, and concede that he was being the Ole Anderson in the situation.

Vader just wanted a payday - Ospreay said Vader shot him a "let's do business, kid" DM after they were going back and forth on Twitter

Punk will gladly do a 45-minute comedy match with slow motion spots if he thinks that can make him money (it can't make him money)

I think that's the disconnect here - the kayfabe bending spots that were popularized by CHIKARA and PWG don't mix in well with a serious product. AEW is a hodgepodge of everything and is running into the same problem TNA did where they can't pick a lane and stick with it. So the AEW "brand" of wrestling becomes a confusing mess when it doesn't need to be.

• Like 1

We got a new show...and a lot more questions lol.

Will be interesting to see the timeline for what we find out moving forward. I still want to know where the second Collision show will be the night before Forbidden Door lol.

Somehow this is the funniest tweet:

Speaking of funny,

Just now, StuntmanCrowley said:

I was planning on avoiding Collision if it was the Punk show.

Then Miro, FTR, HOB, Rosa, Andrade and Hobbs were put front and center on the poster and now I'm realizing I have to suffer through Punk's bullshit to see some of my favorites.  

Bittersweet.

When you're reviewing the show on Sunday morning here on the board, just passive aggressively pretend all of Punk's matches are thematically similar PWG matches from 2017 and review those instead.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Will be interesting to see the timeline for what we find out moving forward. I still want to know where the second Collision show will be the night before Forbidden Door lol.

I've gotta think it'll be at Scotiabank Arena, but they don't want to put tickets on-sale until Punk's confirmed

If Punk gets his own show the night before Forbidden Door, and then he doesn't work Forbidden Door...that would be a hell of a thing

Imagine giving Bret and Shawn their own dueling shows each weekend in 1997

Punk has never been my cup of tea, but after he threw a temper tantrum, he pretty much went to a point where I'd rather just not watch him in any capacity.  Outside of the MJF feud, almost everything he did in AEW was criminally overrated and terrible.  Allowed to have varying opinions on it and I think he should vanish for another 7 years.  I'd rather give money to go see XPW than actively watch Punk at this point.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The funny thing about chikara was always that it was full of all this comedy and silliness, yet Quack was super serious about kayfabe and other parts of the business. 

Mainly as a means of projecting his ego and controlling the talent.

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Another question that maybe has been asked.  Is MJF now considered the universal heavyweight champion and going to become AEW version of Roman Reigns

I'm pretty sure Max already works less than Roman. 

• Like 1