DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 4/28/2023

The Natural

Cash Wheeler gets a rare singles outing vs. Jay Lethal. Like to see Cash get more single opportunities like his tag team partner, Dax Harwood. Jay White teams with Juice Robinson. Bullet Club Juice Robinson sucks, he was better with the dreads and bright colours as a fiery babyface in NJPW.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6

Yay, more Cash Wheeler in singles! I have been wishing for those every now and again! He's going to be in trouble with Jay White, though!

Edit...Or would be in trouble, if he was actually wrestling him. I like his chances against Lethal better, though.

Edited by Shartnado
Oh he's wrestling Jay LETHAL...
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Yay, more Cash Wheeler in singles! I have been wishing for those every now and again! He's going to be in trouble with Jay White, though!

Cash vs White is a much better match to me than Cash vs Lethal

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Cash vs White is a much better match to me than Cash vs Lethal

Damn, I read that wrong. Well, that match makes much more sense. But yeah, I'd rather see the White match. I mean, I take what I can get, obviously, but you know...

• Like 2

That's what I thought.  I'm gonna assume 6:30 but will be checking throughout the prior hour.

Not ideal to give everyone watching Dynamite a start time that turns out to be wrong.  At least people will be tuning in early and not late.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

They should have anchored these shows with the more high profile OC title defenses instead of the YouTube brigade 

They're not going to waste those on a show that isn't on during it's normal time (and is basically on during work hours/rush hour in most of the US).

• Like 2

I sort of hope Lethal wins, because I'm getting perverse enjoyment from the (presumably unintentional) story they're running about how FTR are crap singles wrestlers. I believe Cash is winless in AEW singles matches and Dax's only win is over Cash?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I sort of hope Lethal wins, because I'm getting perverse enjoyment from the (presumably unintentional) story they're running about how FTR are crap singles wrestlers. I believe Cash is winless in AEW singles matches and Dax's only win is over Cash?

I think so.

While I was checking out that tweet I came across gem.  Nyla and Tromatagon are legit the only reasons I still check Twitter.

I'm just glad for the earlier time as it still allows me time to get some gaming done afterwards.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

Jay White and Juice Robinson versus Shawn Spears and Ricky Spears is WAAAAAY fun!  Jay White is so fucking great.  Ricky Starks looks great in this too.  The bizarre Shawn Spears push, I'm digging it.  It's Keith Lee and Dustin Rhodes beat up two dudes.  Lee hits a GIANT BEEL!  Lee BEELS Dustin!  NICE POWERBOMB by Lee! Postmatch, MOGAL EMBASSY!  It's Phat Ass Anna Jay!  IT's Ashley D'Ambroise!  D'Ambroise is already better than Anna J.  AEW needs to quickly develop a women's midcard because they getting smoked by the IMPACT! KnockOuts.  A fast Queenslayer and they should have given D'Ambroise a little more.  POSTMATCH, Julia ATTACKS!  Anna J gets the better of her.  That was fun.  The Acclaimed beat up some dudes.  Caster hits a nice Elbow Drop. Cash Wheeler and Jay Lethal should be good.  AEW should have held out for the postgame time slot since they seem to be holding back.  Well THIS is STIFF!  Cash Wheeler is so good.  Jay Lethal is so good.  In picture in picture, Sanjay Dutt CHEATS to set up Cash Wheeler as out sympathetic babyface.  Lethal is great as an old school heel.  Lethal makes with the Abdominal Stretch!  This is more Mid-South than Memphis or Mid-Atlantic.  Wheeler looks great in this. Lethal looks great in this. Lethal with a Lethal Injection after Sanjay CHEATS again.  That was good.  AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Keith Lee HITS A MOTHERFUCKER WITH A MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Shawn Spears hails from Niagara Falls? He should have a valet called The Maid of the Mist

Could be whichever Iconic he has as a partner 

• Like 1

Opener was pretty fun but I’m still not sure why they cooled on Ricky so fast. I’m way down on Spears but he was fine as FiP who also eats the pin. I decided that Adam Cole is the Wish version of Jay White.

Even though I’m down on this state and moving to PA in a few months, Naturally Limitless warms the part of my heart that once loved Texas and has loved here it’s entire adult life. Lee bealing Dustin into the enhancement was tremendous fun. Fuck it, let them have a title run...maybe get a third and let them have the ROH trios for a minute. Mark Henry is fully retired, right (just thinking of other old Texas hosses).

We don’t body-shame, but Anna JASs was once again wrestling someone with a much fuller donk. Like Dean said, Ashley D’Amboise stood out as the superior wrestler. Weird booking with Anna getting the upper hand on the Julia Hart run-in. More D’Amboise please.

Acclaimed made the fans happy, Caster’s rap was 5*. They deserve more although getting paid to do a token squash and sell t-shirts for a while ain’t bad if you can do it.

I liked the main a lot other than the shenanigans. Lethal working the body and Cash selling the body was a good story. Another old school match, to be expected. The Lethal Combination was smooth as silk.

Zendragon is right about the amount of bad acting. I don’t know if the Razzies do TV, but if so Matt Hardy is a shoo-in for a nomination. And I have no idea what Hook even said. And if I took a shot every time Saraya said “Baby girl” I would be wasted instead of just a nice little early evening buzz. Ruby is the best though.

Dynamite is stacked again.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, zendragon said:

You know how Big Show or Andre would wrestle 2 on 1. Dustin/Lee/Henry where Henry can just lounge about ringside or maybe hit the occasional worlds strongest slam Team DADD ( dads against daughter’s dating)

Henry can have a finishing move called The Main Event where, well, you can guess what happens beforehand.

• Like 1

I hope Julia turn Anna to the dark side then turns day Skye Blue so she commands her own HOB

also TAY MELO WILL HAVE HERE STORYLINE ( Sammy and Tay feel like a fun couple, I could see living next Brit and Adam cole and he constantly sneaks over to drink in the garage instead of fixing the sink)

• Like 1

Yes, total RAZZIES Edition! Matt Hardy's been on a roll lately! I goofed on the inconsistent Stokely last week, but he was good here. Less so the awkward shit with Isaiah-Bill-Ethan. Get Hardy's cinematic bullshit done already! Hook is dying and he ought to take it out on the Hardy Boys. The WWE Lite talk has been blown out of purportion considering pretty petty avalon points concerning red-white-blue ring ropes used on NY TV 25 years ago (that look awesome in 2023), but that Tay-Sammy drama was clearly from the Monday Night deleted scenes. They did a similar skit on Wednesday that I'm completely forgetting - starting with an announcer doesn't make the camera lingering and two ppl airing their drama any less SKITish. Tho, if I'm honest I was amused, and these two do love to give All Access. There was some fun TV wrestling on this show. Jay White continues to kill his shit every time out. Really fun match here with Spears and Starks. Spears is good in-ring, but his dorky tendencies seem to fly better as a heel. I could be completely off, and it's totally because of the Cody connection, but I sense Ricky Starks isn't long for this company, and I think they know it. If this is the case Ricky as fodder for the Switchblade's rise to the top is fine by me. Again, good match. So too the Cash-Lethal working man's main event. Lots of gaga tho, @Dean nails the territory feel, definitely Mid-South (tho, I've only really seen 'the tapes'). Part of me was watching Jay and Wheeler wishing this were a PPV match without the limitations of a TV angle. But... it was what it was and it worked pretty well at that. The pre-match promo was terrific. So too that fun post match promo from Wednesday. I love the more recent increased use of twitter for promos. I think they'd be smart to expand their weekly Road Tos into full episodes and collect more of these one off promo-tweets. Call it 'AEW Wrestling Spotlight' for the LITE talkers. I dig Keith and Dustin and love anything Swerve or Nana, but just have some bloody fucking matches already. Stretching things out has not benefitted Keith, Swerve, nor the audience at home. I like Anna Jay and young Julia, but this is exactly the type of feud they should run on the streamers. Also, who booked Julia attacking from behind, as the face, and then getting beat? Is that also from the Monday Night script cuts? I know Tony gives the final say, but the Women's Division has always felt like it was booked by the person that shouldn't be allowed in the Creative War Room. Nice to see the consensus that Ashley D'Amboise is clearly better in-ring than either of the blonde greehornes. The Acclaimed squash was alright, I kinda liked it, even if they do seem pretty aimless at this point. I sense maybe the House of Black and a trios title challenge is next? But can we injure Billy and sub in, oh, I don't know, say, AR Fox!? Or how bout TRENCH? Just kidding. Rampage was not great, not bad, mostly enjoyable. 

• Like 4

I'm with you guys for the most part on this one. Tiny thoughts below:

• Cage in the ski mask is funny.
  • White is definitely the world's best Rollins. He lives in the moment much better.
  • Anna leaning into bending people around ringposts is a good move for her.
  • I think we're back to Cash being the better FTR guy like how I felt in 2021.
  • Like 4

Now have them switch places next week.  Cash vs. JJ and Dax vs. Jay.  Put that in my brain.  

Go ahead and do a cinematic match.  It’s fine.  It’s kind of been awhile, right?  I can’t remember the last one.

Ricky Starks has a “serious determination walk” that evokes more Spike Dudley than the Rock.  Someone work on their War Face.

• Like 2