DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/26/2023

The Natural

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Dax-Jarrett was fine aside from the obvious mishap during a rope-running sequence. The way people are talking, you'd think he looked totally washed. I wonder if the negative attention he received from the podcast has translated into people taking a more severely critical eye to his stuff that he's managed to avoid till now. Just a thought.

Meanwhile people are talking about Jade-Taya being good.

Things worth watching other than OC vs Bandido?

• Dax vs JJ was pretty good. Don't listen to people on here. There was one moment that was wonky. You'd think from the comments here that Dax looked like late WWE run Matt Hardy when Hardy was bloated and fucked up on pain killers all the time. Match was fun and JJ really hung in there despite his age.
  • Omega/Takeshita vs Butcher and the Blade rocked. Everyone looked great, especially the Butcher. 
  • Aside from the finish, Darby vs Sammy was pretty good too
  • Like 7

Fun show. As per usual. OC v Bandido was solid. Dug this duo sliding by the Cole interview post match. Then Jarrett v Harwood brings the expected terrific fun. One missed spot does not make a bad match. I didn't hate the finish, but yeah, let's all band together and WILL INTO EXISTENCE Tony Khan awareness of how lame the constant horseshit interference and dumb looking referees are! Speaking of Tony, always glad to see him cut loose on the mic! Owen Cup final in Calgary is good booking. Ugh, really Wardy 'in action'? With an overstuffed talented locker room a random squash seems like a heel move. What the fuck? At least get him somebody huge or interesting to squash. Complaint aside, I do love this Arn pairing. And Christian rules, but we already did the Saurus tease, no? MJF and Sammy absolutely killed their segment. I thought Darby and Jack was fine. That said, I'm not really expecting either to suddenly be great mic men, and yet I'm still looking forward to the 4 way. I like BCC attacking ppl in the back, but this one on RJ 'Skinner' and the Daniels one on Friday were a touch awkward. Get it together Mox and co. Sammy v Darby to no surprise was fucking incredible. Perhaps I'm a high voter on this as I actually enjoy these DQs and Countouts when done so sparringly and well. So many incredible spots and entwined in a solid story. Especially loved Darby's tope into the cutter and that beautiful first moonsault from Gueverra. The set-up of the Cole segment made him look like a fool for a sec there. Jericho's assholery was very good. Somebody mentioned the Acclaimed would've made sense on the Adam Cole save from the JAS, and I completely agree. I hope there isn't an undisclosed injury that prevented that. RODERICK STRONG with a nice debut! I'm aware this isn't a broad fanbase needle mover pick-up, but to me this is as exciting as any signing they've ever made. I've only seen Roddy sparring over the past number of years, but I always love his matches. I'm not suggesting he's some sort of great talker, but in ring he's perfection. Nice bounce back from QT and the gang, I loved this QTV segment and eagerly await plan B. Aaron Solo's stock has increased exponentially behind his fresh breath and laughter. Jade v Taya was mostly fine save for a couple sloppy moments, and a untidy finish. The crowd reaction seemed befitting of the nonsensical contract clauses and lack of just straight up simple promoing. Who's meddling with creative getting all these silly steps into these programs? Schiavone? Butcher/Blade v Kenny/Takeshita was a nice solid tag to close it out. I loved the post match Bucks superkick party, and the excellent shooting of it. The Takeshita semi-save on Moxley and aftermath all felt a bit slapdash, but I enjoyed the end result of Mox cruelling stabbing our favorite Lard Lad over and over like a crazed lunatic. AEDub! A King Tubby or Scratch worthy Dub.

p.s. fuck yes, bring on Lethal v Cash! 

• Like 1

Roddy Strong being a legit surprise was refreshing.

OC is still the best wrestler on Earth. 

I love how Jarrett is in the PERFECT position for maybe the first time in his long career, yet couldn't be there without all those previous and occasionally baffling years. 

• Like 9

This was a much better show last night than last week's. Orange Cassidy continues to roll as he had a really good match with Bandito. I thought Bandito was going to win a couple of times during the match.

Dax vs. Jarrett was a good match. Jarrett much like Billy Gunn is having a nice third act to his career right now.

The only thing I didn't like was I thought Jade was going to lose. I hope we get a rematch for the PPV. 

• Like 2

At the off-chance that the main event of Double or Nothing WON'T be Sammy laying down for MJF, I already pre-ordered the PPV for the extra FITE credits. Even if it will be turned into a 4-way, won't those two do their damnest just to get inside the ring alone and do the taking the dive anyway? I mean Sammy still wants the check, right? Well, there's still enough time for the friendship to implode, obviously, but as things stand now, it would make sense, right?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

At the off-chance that the main event of Double or Nothing WON'T be Sammy laying down for MJF, I already pre-ordered the PPV for the extra FITE credits. Even if it will be turned into a 4-way, won't those two do their damnest just to get inside the ring alone and do the taking the dive anyway? I mean Sammy still wants the check, right? Well, there's still enough time for the friendship to implode, obviously, but as things stand now, it would make sense, right?

You know it'd be a good twist on the formula if they keep trying to steal the win but Darby/JB keep breaking it up which leads to MJF/Sammy's deal coming to a head and Sammy going all out against MJF because Sammy can't even lose right.

Edited by porksweats
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, porksweats said:

You know it'd be a good twist on the formula if they keep trying to steal the win but Darby/JB keep breaking it up which leads to MJF/Sammy's deal coming to a head and Sammy going all out against MJF because Sammy can't even lose right.

And neither of those smarmy assholes really trust each other, as is. You'd think that MJF at least has some kind of back-up plan in place already, as these alliances always tend to backfire on SOMEONE. It is just a case of who blinks first and gets stabbed in the back for it? And this could still be a game of 4D-chess by Sammy and he doesn't trust that check to clear anyway, that's why he put some ridiculous number on it!

• Like 1

I'm slowly making it through. I have no idea what was up with Dax in the first few minutes of that Jarrett match but it settled down and turned out ok. I'd have to look back at his career but I don't think he's had a ton of chances to wrestle people who wrestled Bret and I got the sense he was reveling that at certain points, even more so than the Memphis stuff.

I liked Sammy vs Darby more than expected. MJF was great on commentary during the break, by the way. I liked the whole thing about Darby wrestling a NWA title match and Sammy countering but not nearly as smooth as Darby and always being a half step behind until he was able to open it up with the post and the dive. I know Sammy's done some crazy things, but it feels like he's turning it up even an extra notch because he knows Kommander and Vikingo are there and that he has to show up as a main eventer. That may or may not be a good thing. In this match, it worked, however. Post match was fun. I think the MJF/Sammy thing is working pretty well. Hopefully once we end up with a 4 way they can stay aligned through May. Can Sammy sing?

• Like 3

Just finished OC/Bandido. What I really liked about this match is what they didn't do. Bandido didn't  hit his moonsault press slam thing. I don't think he came close to the 21-Plex. Getting a kickout from a finisher is a guaranteed crowd pop. But it's not always good storytelling. OC avoiding those moves shows his caginess and smarts and reflects his character more than getting a 2.999999999 kickout. Bandido still looked like an insane badass, too. 

It looks like there are lines of people who want a match with OC. It seemed clear from the post-match interactions that Bandido really enjoyed it. Why wouldn't you? 

• Like 6

BBC continue their face turn by sparing us any more RJ City 

liked Darby calling Jungle Boy out on the late save

Rodrick Strong is another signing I felt we didn’t need

did Wardlows victim even get an entrance?

was Sammy dressed as a pickle?

Double J v DBD (dad bod Dax) was a bit of a let down as they didn’t seem to be on the same page. 

over all another flat episode 

FTR Bald looks like he's eaten FTR Hair: he & Jarrett looked every bit the pair of 50 year olds falling out of the pub, grasping at air as they breathlessly roll around on the ground out there. Give him 9 more months to grow that gut even further and a white wig and he'll be ready for a second job at the mall. He was never the most athletic, but his conditioning now compared to a year ago against the Bucks, say, is an absolute embarrassment. Bad look. 

• Haha 2

I would argue that was Jade's most ambitious match yet. I'm not sure how well it worked out for her. I also don't know about the advice she's getting. Case in point, the destroyer. It was fine. I'm sure she was happy to do it. I'm sure she was proud to do it. She would have been so much better served with a standard stalling pile driver. It would have played to her strength more, literal and figurative. It would have let her jaw with the crowd. It would have had a moment of tension before impact. It would have stood out as more unique as I think only Dax and Uno do it with any regularity and no one in the women's division whereas Britt does the Panama Sunrise at the very least. Lean into what makes you special and unique.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I would argue that was Jade's most ambitious match yet. I'm not sure how well it worked out for her. I also don't know about the advice she's getting. Case in point, the destroyer. It was fine. I'm sure she was happy to do it. I'm sure she was proud to do it. She would have been so much better served with a standard stalling pile driver. It would have played to her strength more, literal and figurative. It would have let her jaw with the crowd. It would have had a moment of tension before impact. It would have stood out as more unique as I think only Dax and Uno do it with any regularity and no one in the women's division whereas Britt does the Panama Sunrise at the very least. Lean into what makes you special and unique.

I kind of dislike the destroyer in general because it requires so much cooperation at the best of times and looks like something where the person taking the move actually takes less damage than the person hitting it. In this case, it literally looked like that recent match where a guy is wrestling a doll and the doll hits a destroyer on him. It was so obvious that Taya was doing all the work, to the point where I assumed that it was a back body drop reversed into a backslide until Taya threw herself backwards into a neck drop.

I agree that something that is more of a feat of strength power move would have worked better and are the kind of moves Jade should focus on. She is a freak athlete who should be doing freaky strength things. That said, I'm not sure I would trust her with a piledriver on an opponent right now.

• Like 1