DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/12/2023

The Natural

You guys have too many opinions about Silas Young, let's talk Luchasaurus instead.

Where do you see him slotting into? His feud with Jungle is thankfully over (we can hope) and he's sticking with Christian managing him. Could be in line for one of Orange's IC shots? 

Boy, for a group that had lenghty promo about sticking up for their friends (Callis), the Elite are pretty terrible friends to say in the back and watch their friends get MAULED for like ten minutes, just so they can surprise the BCC after their friends have been killed dead. 

"Hey Brandon, bet you didn't know we were gonna show up tonight and take out the BCC?!"

"Could you not have come out five minutes earlier before I got murdered?"

I'm quite surprised that out of this whole 4 pillars angle, Darby has delievered the best promo of the lot. I almost think he improvised because MJF's rebuttal didn't seem to address most of what he said. Darby needs to be on top sooner than later,  he's ready now. Waiting too long and it's going to be like Braun Strowman winning the title, people  had already moved on before he won it. 

There was a lot of stuff on this show that felt like it was booked like WWE, trying to create moments at the expense of storytelling: Hobbs' new car ("He loves that car!") clearly just there to be broken, the aforementioned Elite letting their friends get beat up so they can get the "surprise" pop, Hayter and Baker coming out separately for no other reason then the entrance pop (Baker is either a terrible friend, chronically tardy or just kind of lazy: "Jamie can handle them all...oh no she can't...cue up my music,I guess."

Orange Cassidy is the best. Every week I keep expecting people to get bored with his title matches but he keeps the crowd engaged more than anyone.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Where do you see him slotting into? His feud with Jungle is thankfully over (we can hope) and he's sticking with Christian managing him. Could be in line for one of Orange's IC shots? 

Don't know if this is something they'd want before they could swing the E&C match they've talked about, but if Punk isn't back before DON then FTR are gonna need to work with somebody...

• Like 1

Oh, also "Bullet Club Gold" is taking over by facing a guy who's never held an "official" title in AEW is like the NWO invading WCW and going after Hacksaw Jim Duggan. I like Ricky Starks, he's great. But acting like they're taking over AEW by challenging him is some weird logic. Imagine if they had signed with WWE: "Bullet Club is taking over, look out Rick Boogz!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Log said:

Man, I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't see it with Starks. Not right now. I don't think he's a lost cause or anything even close to that, I just don't see him as a top of the card guy yet. Don't get me wrong, I like him quite a lot. I just see him as like an upper-midcard guy. To put it in 80's WWF terms, I see him at the Intercontinental level like Steamboat or Jake. Not saying he could never be a main event guy, I just don't see it yet. I can't put my finger on it.

Starks is like a sports team that plays to the level of its competition. Put him in with MJF, he looks like a future main event superstar. Put him in against Juice, he comes across as just a guy.

• Like 6

Also, losing to Jay White won't hurt Ricky one bit. Most AEW fans are very familiar with White and see him as a big deal, and even someone who's never seen anything NJ at least knows that another company trusted him to play the same role as AJ Styles and Kenny Omega.

• Like 1

I don't want to speak for all the Silas Young fans (I had no idea there were so many of us!), but I don't think anyone is suggesting they thought he should win or even go any extended length of time. I think the consensus, amongst many of us, is he could've provided a nice hearty challenge that would've made Willy look stronger for in victory. As was it was a forgettable waste of time. Hobbs didn't look stronger for squashing a guy only hardcore fans are remotely aware of. All that said, it was not the worst part of the segment. To be clear, I'll stand up for QT and his underrated abilities as a wrestling-comic and in-ring performer. Separate from that, the logistics of this Wardlow story with the thieving and criminality has indeed been complete nonsense and worthy of the harshest of criticisms. Guys destroying cars feels like an incredibly stale relic from the past. Tho, I'm not sure I'm the audience for it. Maybe there's an audience that thinks Wardy looked cooler for his slow plodding destruction of a fairly decent automobile (that he would've actually owned as @Dean pointed out).

Also, any time a storyline features 'fine print' it should be placed in the appropriate trash bin. I wanna say the same goes for all 'legal' talk, but I don't want to undermine the great work Mark Sterling's been doing in ROH with the Varsity Athletes/Trustbuster crew. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, AxB said:

I was convinced it was freezing cold in the building, because Swerve was wearing a Balaclava, and Darby put his coat back on as soon as his match was over. And then Sting came out, wearing a coat over his shirt, while MJF's scarf was actually wrapped around his neck, not loose like usually.

It's even more odd when you consider that the high was in the 80s yesterday and I'm pretty sure they didn't switch the A/C on so I assume the building was on the warm side.

8 hours ago, porksweats said:

I just think it's because AEW's color scheme has Gold therefore differentiating it from other BC groups rather than mocking the concept, and wasn't White exiled from the current BC in NJPW? It'd make sense he starts his own offshoot since you are Bullet Club for life.

That being said, I hope Jeff Jarrett joins up, really cement the Silver and Black nWo vibe

Don't forget that Jarrett was in the Bullet Club briefly in 2014!

Count me in the group that didn't expect to see Silas get squashed like that. Hell he's a former champ in your sister company in ROH thankfully they didn't mention that during the squash.

I think the big thing with Keith Lee is that he isn't the same after coming back from his nasty fight with COVID and while his feet are nimble, everything else isn't and it's notable. I'm hoping he gets some of that back eventually because he's pretty dope.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That Christian and Luchasaurus promo video looked like an 80s cologne commercial.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Christian Dior: Smell like a dinosaur's asshole

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/M_Ihvr9fRiA/maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Starks is like a sports team that plays to the level of its competition. Put him in with MJF, he looks like a future main event superstar. Put him in against Juice, he comes across as just a guy.

This is a really interesting point, honestly. I read it for the first time like two hours ago and I’m still processing. What a great observation…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The BCC vs geeks match was some Tenryu shit. Great destruction.

Sting's promo ruled, though I was hoping it was going to lead to him challenging Max. 

The womens stuff, Jericho/Cole/Mogul/Lee stuff, Bullet Club Gold is all so blahhhhhh. That said, bringing White in at the mid-card and letting him get established feels like the right move rather than instantly putting him in a main event spot, especially when you have MJF at the top of the card already.

I agree with the guy who can't get with OC using a punch as a finisher, but that was still a super smartly worked match. Cassidy is on a tear with this run.a

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Imagine critical thinking hurting your brain so much that you just take the position of "Tony Khan is always right" and work your way backwards from there

What a waste

Dawg what lol. I have been openly critical of a lot of AEW stuff lately. I don't have the blind tribalism to any one brand. There's stuff WWE does that I like and there's stuff AEW does that I like. But I am not shy at all about criticizing what I don't like. Making a big deal out of Silas fucking Young of all people getting squashed is about the weirdest hill to die on I've seen in awhile. I literally just posted a rant about how fucking dumb I think AEW doing a brand split here. TK is def not always right. And the past 9 months or so he's had more misses than hits for me.

But again Silas fucking Young going down to your mid card champion who is supposed to be a monster world beater is not even in the top 1,000 worst things that has happened in AEW this month. You're the one with a hardcore hate boner. Maybe some clarity & objectiveness would help you realize that a 40s+ performer with multiple bad knees & less than 10 minutes of national TV exposure in his entire career doesn't need to look good nor is it a priority to let him get any shit in against your monster world beater in a squash. Kthanksbye.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I think the consensus, amongst many of us, is he could've provided a nice hearty challenge that would've made Willy look stronger for in victory. As was it was a forgettable waste of time.

Hobbs having a tough time beating a literal nobody with no TV equity and a bad look doesn't make Willy look stronger in victory. It makes him look like a chump. If he's as big of a monster & as dangerous as they say he is on commentary he should steamroll anyone not named Samoa Joe, Wardlow, or Brody King. We all have different ideas of what we want out of wrestling but this is just weird to me to see so many people suggesting this. Squashes are a legitimate booking tool. If Hobbs goes 50/50 or has trouble with everyone he wrestles, how does that make him special or standout?

If you want the man to have an aura of being this larger than life monster (which I personally think he should have), he can't go 50/50 with the Silas Youngs or the Brandon Cuttlers or the Fuego Del Sols. There has to be a tier he just rips through.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
typos everywhere
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

Is this whole Bullet Club Gold thing by Jay White and maybe Tony Khan mocking the concept of Bullet Club knowing that it has jumped the shark and is barely relevant anymore.  I mean there are 3 version of the Bullet Club now (New Japan, IMPACT, and now AEW).   I am sure there is an indie that has a bunch of people claiming to be Bullet Club.  

I kinda want a tiny indie to book a fake Bullet Club led by a fake Doink the Clown.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Hobbs having a tough time beating a literal nobody with no TV equity and a bad look doesn't make Willy look stronger in victory. It makes him look like a chump. If he's as big of a monster & as dangerous as they say he is on commentary he should steamroll anyone no named Samoa Joe, Wardlow, o Brody King. We all ave different ideas of wt we want out of wrestling but this is ju weird to me to see so many people suggesting this. Squashes are a legitimate booking tool. I Hobbs goes 50/50 or has trouble with everyone he wrestles, how does that make him special o standout?

If you want the man to have an aura of being this larger than lif monster (which I personally think he should have), he can't go 50/50 with the Silas Youngs or the Brandon Cuttlers or the Fuego Del Sols. There has to be a tier he just rips through.

I'm not sure Will looked like a chump when he didn't steamroll Fenix and/or Penta, but okay. To each their own, I don't find it all that weird wanting to see Hobbs tell a small wee little story with a wily vet like Young. 50/50? Not seeing anybody suggesting that. And then you name drop Cutler? And Fuego? Actually, monster Miro found a way to work Fuego. Perhaps the Powerhouse in question could too?

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Not once has it been presented or suggested that Hobbs is some kind of World-Ender, larger than life monster. That’s just your personal wish for his booking shining through. That kind of thing is more comparable to Wardlow, IMO.

And in what world did Hobbs go 50/50 with Silas Young? That match lasted 40 seconds. What in the absolute fuck?

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

Not once has it been presented or suggested that Hobbs is some kind of World-Ender, larger than life monster. That’s just your personal wish for his booking shining through. That kind of thing is more comparable to Wardlow, IMO.

And in what world did Hobbs go 50/50 with Silas Young? That match lasted 40 seconds. What in the absolute fuck?

I think you're jumping in mid convo and missed some stuff. Silas got steamrolled. And I'm all in favor of that. There's been some people suggesting they were disappointment by that and wanted him to get more offense in. No one is saying he did go 50/50 with Hobbs. I'm saying that would have been a total mistake and the 40 second squash was the perfect call.

34 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm not sure Will looked like a chump when he didn't steamroll Fenix and/or Penta, but okay. To each their own, I don't find it all that weird wanting to see Hobbs tell a small wee little story with a wily vet like Young. 50/50? Not seeing anybody suggesting that. And then you name drop Cutler? And Fuego? Actually, monster Miro found a way to work Fuego. Perhaps the Powerhouse in question could too?

I'm totally fine with Penta & Fenix getting offense in against Hobbs. Lucha Bros are former tag champs, trios champs, have main evented shows and are legitimate near the top tier roster members. My point of order is everyone advocating for someone who does not work for AEW, who AEW has no plans for, and who has no future in AEW being treated in the manor he was. It was done exactly right. AEW rarely does squashes and this was the time for one.

I'm not at all saying Hobbs should be above letting people get offense in. What I'm saying is this specific instance people wanting Silas Young to be treated as an equal to Penta or Fenix or Hobbs or Wardlow is just nuts to me. Miro had a multi episode TV story with Fuego built around him murdering Fuego and then Fuego getting lucky when Miro's neck was failing him. That's a FAR CRY from Miro being booked cold against Fuego & going 50/50 with him with no TV time prior, no story prior, and not even being a part of AEW at the time.

This is getting so weird. I don't think 'Hobbs should be squashing jobbers' is a controversial take. You may disagree that Silas is a jobber. And that's fine. I'm saying his ROH run from half a decade ago doesn't really merit him not being a jobber in AEW. But opinions are opinions and if that is yours I will let it go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

If you want the man to have an aura of being this larger than life monster (which I personally think he should have), he can't go 50/50 with the Silas Youngs or the Brandon Cuttlers or the Fuego Del Sols. There has to be a tier he just rips through.

They could let Silas go a couple of minutes, long enough for the announcers to put over that he's a former ROH TV champ at least. There's a lot of room between jobber entrance/zero offense and 50-50.

It's a minor nitpick in the grand scheme of things, but why waste a guy who was at least being used as a good hand in ROH when any local or Serpentico would do?

• Like 4