DVDVR Message Board

TRIPLE X WWE TV! - 1/23 - 1/29/2023

Dolfan in NYC

13 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I literally gasped when Jey made the save. Jey has been great for years but he has really become an all-timer since The Bloodline arc began. It takes someone really good to do the initial stuff with Roman and get beaten into submission but still be able to have credibility. He went from being incredibly sympathetic to becoming a great henchman. He and Jimmy just have bangers with absolutely everyone (I really think the New Day’s Last Stand match was one of the best matches of the century when you consider the rivalry and organic stakes). And Jey really hit an iconic level with the Doubting Thomas story with Sami where we saw his motivation - part legitimate skepticism, bigger parts jealousy - without having it told to us. Wrestling is not a “Show But Tell” type of narrative but Jey nailed it that entire time and I am not sure anyone else could do it. 

I popped so hard when he made the save for Sami with his own footage. It left us with an awesome cliffhanger.

I was impressed by Jey's video editing skills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My sleep schedule is a little jacked up.  I went to bed at 8!  It's Indi Harwell!  It's the embiggened Tiffany Stratton.  Stratton has gotten really good in a very short time.  She fakes a knee injury to get a really nice Moonsault for the win!  JD McDonagh and Andre Chase have away too short of a match.  McDonagh is fucking awesome.  Chase is awesome.  It's Ivy Nile!  It's Fallon Henley!  Kiana James will do well in AEW when she eventually gets there because she is all hard edged. The match is over before I could remember Paxley Tatum's name  (and it's Tatum Paxley, I just discovered.)  Julius and Brutus Creed take on Dru Gulak and Hank Walker!  Dru Gulak is great laying it in. Julius goes TOTAL Steiner and it's awesome.  Julius and Gulak beat the hell out of each other!  Walker hits a nice sequence and does a fun CrossArmBreaker.  Charlie Dempsey comes out and distracts Gulak!  Brutus STEINERIZES Walker to set up his wacky Cannonball finisher!  I love how they are bringing along Walker- as an asskicker who is becoming quasi-shooter.  He is the new Private Jim Nelson!  It's Elektra Lopez!  It's Wendi Choo!  Lopez is good, what with the power and the laying it in.  She is a budding Raquel Rodriguez.  Wendy Choo is here to be CHEATED UPON!  It's Kayden and Katana!  It's Alba Fyre!  And THEN Sol Ruca!  Alba Fyre is awesome.  Sol Ruca is all big and flashy.  Alba Fyre is so complete.  The fact that Fyre is teaming up with Isla Dawn, they should have ALL the tag belts- Stardom, Sendai Girls, Coastal Championship Wrestling- all of them, not the NXT titles.  OH NO!  TOXIC ATTRACTION AREN'T ACTUALLY AT EACH OTHER'S THROATS!  ROXANNE PEREZ GOES THROUGH THE TABLE!  That was a good little episode.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DEAN said:

The match is over before I could remember Paxley Tatum's name  (and it's Tatum Paxley, I just discovered.) 

I’ve been watching NxT for at least a month now and only realized last night that Lyra Valkyria and the witchy woman who is annoying Alba Fyre are two different people.  I wondered why they turned her babyface last week out of the blue.

Yeah, “watching” may not be the right word for what I’ve been doing,  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Raw: I saw the cage beatdown which was awesome. I saw the six-man which I stuck around for because Imperium, it was a nice crowd pleaser. And I saw the SPOOPY DOOPY segment where Eldertaker came out and whispered "you need to carry a gun" to Bray Wyatt. LA Knight is a surprisingly good promo for a guy I've never even watched before because of his stupid name. 

NXT: I saw some of the Wendy Choo match, which is yet another absurd NXT 2.0 gimmick, yet one that's hard to understand... Freshman College Girl too shy and nerdy for a sorority who instead stays inside wearing pajamas and binge watching TV? She is very Cibernetico though, more than the WWE blonde factory stamp-press of her opponent. Then I watched the table thing in the main with the sound off and yawned. Guess the Creed match will have to be gone back and watched. 

• Like 2

Thought the KC2 / Alba match was really well laid out. Alba was not happy and taking it out on KC2 with lots of strikes, throwing them into the steps - character notes that make sense given her recent frustrations.

Ruca - who beat Alba last week but might not feel great about it - is in the unenviable position of being a surprise unwanted partner AND having to beat on two much smaller competitors. So what does she do? Counters, flips, the occasional shoulderblock, a press, and a gorgeous big splash. Nothing that has her moves expressing anything beyond friendly competition. It's not 'personal' for her, per se, and so she seems OK with the loss and worried about what's up with Alba. Solidly done.

• Like 2

Indi/Tiffany was solid stuff with Stratton bumping around well and busting out some neat offense. 

The celebration f Thea's first victory in NXT and the subsequent interruption by JD was done well. Chase/JD was good stuff. Kind of love how Chase is such a sneaky good wrestler behind the goofy gimmick. 

Ivy/Tatum vs. Fallon/Kiana was decent while it lasted. 

Creeds vs. Gulak/Walker was nice. Walker busting out the occasional submission and mat wrestling alongside his general power was cool. The teams worked well together in general. I know they are probably leading to Gulak joining up with Dempsey and maybe Kemp, but I kind of hope Walker either stays his student or joins Diamond Mine to keep up the weird shoot style power fighter. 

Lopez/Choo was a solid showcase for Lopez.

KC2 vs. Fyre/Ruca was solid. Dug Fyre being intense while Ruca tried to simply be competitive, getting in a good showcase for herself. The post match with Alba walking off with Dawn was nice. 

I like Lyons's injury being explained via the good ole NXT parking lot, the most dangerous place in wrestling. Hope they at least have a idea of how the attacker is. We never did find out who took out poor Kenta all those years ago.

I skipped most of the final segment. Roxanne going through the table was neat.

Continuing to love the women's division in NXT, I'm excited for adding in Stevie Turner to the mix, enjoyed her a lot in UK and she's already killing it with her streamer gimmick. I've liked how Fallon and Kiana have come together so far and Kacy & Kayden are just the best together. Alba will always be a favorite also, so I'm always looking forward to whatever she's involved in, same with Lyra. Sol Ruca has fit in to everything perfectly pretty quickly. I hope Gigi & Jacy stay together forever.

HA!  Remembered that SMACKDOWN is on lowgrade cable tonight and I pretty sure FS1 isn't on the SPECTRAVISION here at the hospital!  I'll guess which matches are good from the highlights the WWE post!  I'll finish all this CMLL instead!

25 minutes ago, DEAN said:

HA!  Remembered that SMACKDOWN is on lowgrade cable tonight and I pretty sure FS1 isn't on the SPECTRAVISION here at the hospital!  I'll guess which matches are good from the highlights the WWE post!  I'll finish all this CMLL instead!

I was gonna suggest you watch on Peacock instead but looks like they get delayed by a month...  However, how about this week's SmackDown from 21 (!) years ago:

Screenshot_20230127_173600_Peacock.jpg

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2023 at 8:02 AM, DEAN said:

(and it's Tatum Paxley, I just discovered.)

I always get Tatum Paxley and Fallon Henley's names confused. Were i running NXT, I'd randomly switch their names one week, just to see if anyone notices. Actually, I'd just switch the wrestlers complete: put Paxley in the jean cut-offs and hanging out with Bro Country with Fallon teaming sporadically with Ivy Nile and see if it makes any discernible difference. I will say, I do like that one sort of diving backkick that...oh now I honestly have forgotten which one is which...the girl in the cut-offs does.

And feel better, DEAN!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Is this a local thing? My DVR still shows it as playing on Fox. 

39 minutes ago, caley said:

I always get Tatum Paxley and Fallon Henley's names confused. Were i running NXT, I'd randomly switch their names one week, just to see if anyone notices. Actually, I'd just switch the wrestlers complete: put Paxley in the jean cut-offs and hanging out with Bro Country with Fallon teaming sporadically with Ivy Nile and see if it makes any discernible difference. I will say, I do like that one sort of diving backkick that...oh now I honestly have forgotten which one is which...the girl in the cut-offs does.

And feel better, DEAN!

I used to make this mistake. With all the similar style blondes WWE has its amazing its the two brunettes who are easiest to mix up. To be fair Tatum is the noticeably more athletic one and wears black.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Is this a local thing? My DVR still shows it as playing on Fox. 

I used to make this mistake. With all the similar style blondes WWE has its amazing its the two brunettes who are easiest to mix up. To be fair Tatum is the noticeably more athletic one and wears black.

RAW is on FS1 next week!  The hospital has FS1 but it is showing a rerun of a bowl game so I missed the first forty minutes.  I now use current reference- Tatum O'Neill- to remember Tatum is a first name.

• Like 2

I joined in late!  Lacey Evans should go ahead and join the NON-HOMEGROWN~! faction of the AEW Women becuase she will fucking beat the crap out of you.  I didn't see the whole match so I ASSUME someone hit a Flaming Shooting Star Press!  The Viking Raiders beat the hell out of Sheamus and Drew McIntyre and I want an OFFICIAL REMATCH!  Ricochet is wrestling for three and half.  Top Dollah is good as a decoy so Adonis Thee Stallion can get in a nice dropkick. Adante, his name is Adante!  Brawn Strowman is good on the apron.  Adante is pretty good.  HEY!  TOP DOLLAH TOOK A PERFECTLY GOOD BUMP TO THE FLOOR!  Ricochet gets in an insane dive to TRIGGER Strowman into CRUSHING Adante!  That was a million times better than it had any right to be.  Maybe Hit Row is working their way back to our hearts.  I'm guessing they used the first half hour to set up a Kevin Owens match?  And then there was a triple threat match! Or a Titanic Twelve Way to see who enters the Royal Rumble 12th!  Right!  I didn't miss GUNTHER versus Greg Valentine or anything, did I?  I can't fast forward through all the crap I fast forward through so I'll tell you what nurses have told me today-  Sepsis WILL kill you.  The most common she saw was from urinary infections.  A doctor told me yesterday that if a wound gets septic, you get a point of no return.  My wife (the bitch!)  FORCED me to go to the emergency room Wednesday.  IIII knew that we saw a podiatrist Monday and they said it hadn't gotten to bone yet,from x-rays they took.  Wednesday. after they told me that it had gotten to the bone, I was told by another doctor that you really can't use x-rays to tell if it is in the bone, you need a CAT scan.  A good woman will definitely save your life there fellas.  AH WRESTLING!  Giovanni Vinci and Ludwig Kaiser take on the two dudes that hang with Zelina and Santos Escobar.  AEW has five guys named Cage but you can remember which is which.  You have like eight guys named Page and you know who is who.  Vinci is a secret wrestling machineThe anonymous luchadores start to do something cool, but IMPERIUM cuts them off.  Cruz del Toro and Something Wild actually get in some cool stuff!  Giovanni Vinci hits a crazy TopRope Doctor Bomb or maybe a Press Slam.  Either way it was awesome.  They finish them off with the Imperium Bomb!  That was the best Crus del Toro and Wild have looked since I've been watching.  There is a real glass ceiling in WWE for luchadores and one can hope they will avoid becoming the new Los Lotharios.  KEVIN OWENS!  SOLO SIKOA!  Well, this should be good.  Owens is so good.  Sikoa is getting really good.  GREAT fuckin LOVE MACHINE SPLASH by Owens.  Everything else is good, stiff and lowgrade.  Sami Zayn shows up and they throw the match out!  POSTMATCH, Kevin Owens Superkicks every body!  Owens doesn't hit Zayn with a chair!  The was fine. This episode was fine.

• Like 4

What I caught of Rey/Kross was pretty solid and fun. Glad Rey got the win.

Lacey had a decent squash of Allure. Dug the post match romo and the ending with her tossing Allure out of the ring.

Hit Row vs. Sheamus/Drew turning into Hit Row vs. Strowman/Ricochet was only slightly disappointing since everyone worked hard and turned in a pretty darn fun match. Hit Row are so much damn better as heels.

Imperium vs. Legado was nice. Kind of dug legado becoming the de facto faces here and getting in some neat shit before Imperium took the victory. 

Solo/KO was the exact hard hitting match you want from these two with the two making the other work hard to bring them down every time. The finish with Sami interrupting was fine due to KO and Solo just continuing  to try and destroy each other. 

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

My wife (the bitch!)  FORCED me to go to the emergency room Wednesday.

So what you're saying is we all owe your wife a fruit basket and bottle of wine for making sure we still have you here to give us wrestling reviews.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So what you're saying is we all owe your wife a fruit basket and bottle of wine for making sure we still have you here to give us wrestling reviews.

Oh she talked me into going to the hospital back when my exploded.  She is so much than what I deserve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 1/24/2023 at 6:16 PM, Ziggy said:

I watched the Sami Trail segment and it really delivered. Although I wonder what they originally had planned for Roman's Acknowledgement ceremony mainly because of who they would have had appeared with the 3 Generations of the Bloodline would have been better than the same legends we see come out on these Raw specials 2 to 3 times a year anyway.

Afa and Sika  couldn't make it and Jacob Fatu and Lance A'noia got blocked by MLW 

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1180672/mlw-reportedly-sent-a-cease-and-desist-letter-to-wwe-regarding-raw-xxx-show/?fbclid=IwAR3FAQ3EdH4cOjeVIKmLdPOe9kgLkkIHHpaaCW_vtwRkawy9SZ8zYWk9vjw