DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

14 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I got mine through Steam but it looks like EPIC has their way of doing that as well.  https://www.epicgames.com/help/en-US/technical-support-c5719357686683/general-support-c5719341627163/how-do-i-verify-game-files-in-the-epic-games-launcher-a5720337301659

I just tried this for a game that had some hiccups recently but won't know if it actually worked for me until I play it a bit.  Hope it helps.

Did the Epic verify, everything was fine, played again, no change.  Reset the graphics to defaults - which were actually significantly higher than what I had currently chosen - and it defaulted my refresh rate to 50hz.  *50*.  Bumped that up to 144 to match my monitor.  And the game suddenly plays smoothly.  

But still no audio.

Found something that said to delete certain DirectX files and reinstall.  Did that.  That bought me about half a second more audio in the intro before it quit.  Rebooted.  Tried again.  A few seconds of gameplay without audio and suddenly I had sound!  

I was able to make it through the opening mission with audio and smooth gameplay, so that's good.  We'll see how it goes from here.

Thanks for the assist.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm afraid to play Vampire Survivors because of how addictive I heard it is.

It is quite addicting but once I saw how much more was to unlock after a certain point I had to stop.  Might be dive back in if work is incredibly slow but there's a sizable backlog I'm trying to go through.

I really only play Vampire Survivors while I’m at work. I’ve unlocked a few characters but I just can’t get past the third level for whatever reason. Or get to thirty minutes survival time - best I can do is 20 or 25 minutes.

But yes it’s very addicting.

I have unlocked the final boss encounter on PC. I just haven't had a chance to sit down and beat it yet. I have some arcana unlocks to do after that, among a few other unlockables.

I spent four bucks for the base game + DLC and got 40+ hours of quality gameplay. That's one of the better cost-benefit game purchases I have made in awhile.

• Like 1

I think he’s given interviews where he never even entertained mobile ports until he started to get approached about it, but everyone wanted to monetize the hell out of the features and he decided to just do it himself and make it free and more or less a 1:1 port.

• Like 3

Tossing this out to the group:

Took my PS5 to my gf's place yesterday since I was going to be over all day since she just recovered from a hospital stint. The only problem was that I couldn't tell if the system was freezing or if the controller stopped responding. I restarted the system using the button on the console but it didn't help. I think the most game time I got was under 30 minutes before I just said screw it and watched some TV while she was taking a nap.

Any ideas? Power supply was fine and the screen itself didn't freeze and popping a disc in and out cause the icons to update so that's why I think it was the controller. But I plugged in the controller and it wouldn't register. When I took it home today it's been working just fine.

5 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Tossing this out to the group:

Took my PS5 to my gf's place yesterday since I was going to be over all day since she just recovered from a hospital stint. The only problem was that I couldn't tell if the system was freezing or if the controller stopped responding. I restarted the system using the button on the console but it didn't help. I think the most game time I got was under 30 minutes before I just said screw it and watched some TV while she was taking a nap.

Any ideas? Power supply was fine and the screen itself didn't freeze and popping a disc in and out cause the icons to update so that's why I think it was the controller. But I plugged in the controller and it wouldn't register. When I took it home today it's been working just fine.

Aside from witchcraft, a few possibilities. I've read before people complaining about the controller not working if they were too far away, interference from some other device in the room, or the WiFi setting of the router (assuming you connected it to WiFi). Its not letting me make hyperlinks, but here are people discussing the last option: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/can’t-use-the-2-4ghz-wifi-band-on-wife’s-ps5-or-controllers-refuse-to-work.1633992/ That's really all I can think of if it only happened in one (unique) environment and it seemed to impact just the controller.

• Like 1

After I said I was done with Last of Us, I actually went back and was only a few hours away from finishing it. So I finished that and...man...there's a lot to process about the ending of that game, but it really put me off from jumping to Part 2. I'll just spoiler it just in case even though the game is nearly 10 years old.

Spoiler

Ugh. So. Joel kind of sucks. He was already not a very likeable protagonist and really, he's more of an anti hero until they get to Salt Lake City and he actually starts treating Ellie nice. 

At the same time, there's literally no guarantee that the surgery would work or that they would be able to produce a vaccine from whatever they pulled from Ellie's brain. Not only that, but who knows if the Fireflies would just use the vaccine for themselves.

This I'm not going to spoiler, but a vaccine in this game world is practically pointless. Being vaccinated isn't going to save you from a hoard of stage 1 zombies, it's not going to make clickers more fragile, and it would really only be useful with giving yourself immunity from spores or if you survived an attack. As always, zombies aren't the real problem anyway. Great, so you vaccinated yourself from the cordyceps plague. That's not going to do anything from all the roving bands of raiders, rapists, and cannibals out in the world and those people can use guns against you. If they wanted to win against the zombies then they'd be better off letting the zombies starve, having their organs break down, and have the human vessel die out, which is what happens with insects infected with the cordyceps mushroom. 

There is the side problem of the food supply being tainted, but given that this is now 20 years after the initial infection, harvesting wheat is a thing of the past. People are going to be living off of their own farms and livestock, which according to the lore, aren't affected.

All of that just makes the game world feel like such a pointless exercise.

And that says nothing about how clunky that game is. Never have I seen a more mediocre playing game receive such high praise. I'm tempted to say Red Dead 2 is up there, but that's my own personal issue with how controlling Arthur is like controlling Mario on ice and how fucking annoying it is that you can't run inside camps. Is the game beautiful? Yes. Without a doubt. But the controls, environmental puzzles, and the game being so totally repetitive make me wonder how or why it received the praise it got. It's just...not that good. 

In any event, I'm officially done with it. Now I'm moving on to finally getting to playing the Hitman games via World of Assassination. I only ever played Hitman 1, about half of it, and I really loved it as a puzzle solving game. I heard Hitman 2 and 3 only got better so I'm looking forward to playing these.

This is my campaign for @Craig H to start TLOU Part 2. I felt the same way about Joel, but I was also really moved by the sequel for some reason. I feel like the story and message in the second game is way more powerful than anything in the first.

And it controls nothing like the first game (PS3/remaster for PS4, anyway).

Also the games @RIPPA mentioned are still available on the One/Series console’s online stores (and the website), just being removed from the online store on the 360 console. Wario’s tweet mentions that, but just in case anyone saw it and was confused.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

So, Star Ocean / Divine Force is supposed to have a really good combat system and a decent story, but the tradeoff is that the graphics are a notch down from most current gen games.   I may download the demo and if I like it, I'll get the full game.

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently 18 games are currently unavailable on the Xbox One/Series x store.  The full list:

Spoiler

Blood of the Werewolf

Counter-Strike: GO

Daytona USA

Defense Grid

Eets: Chowdown (Not backwards compatible)

Final Fight: Double Impact (FF is available in Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle)

Iron Brigade

Jeremy McGrath's Offroad

Jet Set Radio

Left 4 Dead (Disc Version Available)

Left 4 Dead 2 (Disc Version Available)

Mutant Blobs Attack

Prince of Persia 2008 (Disc Version Available)

R.U.S.E. (Disc Version Available)

Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co.

Skate 2 (Disc Version Available)

Spelunky

The Orange Box (Disc Version Available)

Edited by Doc Townsend

Well that didn't last long

Rumbleverse - the melee based Battle Royale game done by Epic - is being shut down at the end of the month

It was only released in Sept 2022

EDIT - apparently if you made any purchase since launch you will be "eligible for a refund"

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well that didn't last long

Rumbleverse - the melee based Battle Royale game done by Epic - is being shut down at the end of the month

It was only released in Sept 2022

EDIT - apparently if you made any purchase since launch you will be "eligible for a refund"

Did someone here, Craig maybe, know someone part of that game? Would be curious to know what happened, I mean it seemed to have a decent fanbase and its only been six months which is short for a non-broken game.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Did someone here, Craig maybe, know someone part of that game? Would be curious to know what happened, I mean it seemed to have a decent fanbase and its only been six months which is short for a non-broken game.

Wasn't me, but I do recall someone else did say they knew someone who worked on it.

So, Rumbleverse...Really great concept. Really cool look. The problem is, is that the world/arena is too damn large. You can go for incredibly long stretches without finding another soul. A really large world works for shooters because you have sniper rifles or vehicles. With this, you're traversing the world Crackdown style. Then you get to doing moves and it feels a little arbitrary in what you do or what happens. Finally, the world feels dead. So in addition to not seeing others for a long time, it's incredibly quiet. The only time you hear sounds is when you get close to others.

It's sad that they're already shutting it down, but it's not surprising. I think one of the closest comparisons to it I can think of is Fall Guys and if it came to playing Rumbleverse or Fall Guys, I'm playing the latter every time. You're ALWAYS doing something in Fall Guys. Even if you're losing, you're still doing something and you can just pop into another game quickly. Rumbleverse is just so dead for too long and it gets boring fast.

There was a hell of a concept there. I wouldn't even say it was executed poorly on initial release. They just didn't do anything to help their case after that.

I know the literal lead designer of the game and his wife has been my friend for 25 years. Reasons? Uh, I don't think there are any good reasons. Epic sucks?

On 1/30/2023 at 8:10 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Aside from witchcraft, a few possibilities. I've read before people complaining about the controller not working if they were too far away, interference from some other device in the room, or the WiFi setting of the router (assuming you connected it to WiFi). Its not letting me make hyperlinks, but here are people discussing the last option: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/can’t-use-the-2-4ghz-wifi-band-on-wife’s-ps5-or-controllers-refuse-to-work.1633992/ That's really all I can think of if it only happened in one (unique) environment and it seemed to impact just the controller.

Dating witches was part of my 20s so I'm past that now. So I'm going to assume it's the WiFi. Her landlord set it up so I think the router is actually down there so it might be a case of my not being able to use it.

For the one or two people who care and have this game, the servers for this game are shutting down on June 6th. PC version will get a player hosted version afterwards, but for trophy hunters.....we gotta Platinum the PS4 & PS5 version before then.

According to trophy guides, it'll take 100 hours to Platinum. I'm going to go for it, but I'm concerned about the daily / seasonal / event contract trophies. Daily and seasonal won't be a problem but there currently isn't any events.

Turtle Rock Studios announced that Back 4 Blood will not be getting anymore new content

They say the servers will remain active but that they are moving on to other projects

The internet being the internet, however, immediately declared the game dead