DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I have the cart but playing Tetris brought on an insane wave of nostalgia. Man I missed playing that. If not for getting back into Halo Infinite campaign I'd do this more often. 

Yeah, that was the first thing I played, too. That and SMG 2. Oh, the memories.

The TMNT Cowabunga Collection also has the GB game Fall of the Foot Clan, which really brought back a rush of memories when I played it again last year.

I really dig Metroid 2, also. That is a very good GB game. I wish they'd put the remake on Switch.

• Like 1

I’m absolutely addicted to Marvel Snap. I’ve got four different decks that are really fun (a general deck with my favorite cards, one with Wakanda characters that compliment each other, another based around MODOK’s ability, and a deck controlled by Agatha Harkness).

I even bought the season pass because I’ve been playing so much.

• Haha 1

I dunno if I am the only dope here that pre-ordered a PSVR 2, but its set to arrive within the next couple weeks. VR is a tricky situation for me as I do have motion sickness - not terrible but still present. I last tried VR about six or seven years ago and at the time there just weren't enough big games and the few that existed just messed with my brain too much.

Anyway, I am hoping with improved technology and more game options, I'll be able to play it without getting too dizzy within an hour. Horizon and Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge are on my early to-do list, beyond that I am just going to I guess start reading reviews and try not to get any games I'll immediately regret 🙂

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Like a lot of games, I have no desire to play but do like watching it. 

It is funny you phrased it like this as I have been watching a lot of Sea of Thieves streams recently

Granted - in my case, I would actually like to play it but know what a bad bad idea that would be

I need to get to playing Sports Story but not being unable to use my Switch at work has left me unmotivated to play. 

I have like an hour to play most days and trying to get thru HZD since I just used my last library renewal for this copy. 

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I dunno if I am the only dope here that pre-ordered a PSVR 2, but its set to arrive within the next couple weeks. VR is a tricky situation for me as I do have motion sickness - not terrible but still present. I last tried VR about six or seven years ago and at the time there just weren't enough big games and the few that existed just messed with my brain too much.

Anyway, I am hoping with improved technology and more game options, I'll be able to play it without getting too dizzy within an hour. Horizon and Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge are on my early to-do list, beyond that I am just going to I guess start reading reviews and try not to get any games I'll immediately regret 🙂

If they weren’t asking for more than the PS5’s price, I might have bought in. But since it’s so expensive… I don’t know. And the only game I’m really interested in is the Horizon game, so…

I barely used the first headset and ended up selling it a few months after I got it.

4 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm thinking of getting it but considering I have PSVR already and haven't played that many games on it, I can't see myself paying over $600 for the launch bundle + Horizon VR. It's crazy how Sony's site is the only site to pre-order it.

I mean yay, more Platinums (whenever you can play them apparently).  And free upgrades for Thumper / Tetris Effect / Rez Infinite if you have those.

Edited by Andrew POE!

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The main sticking point for me with PSVR2 is the price. It's either buy this peripheral that won't get used much, or use that money for furniture.

Yea it took some self-convincing to pull the trigger at that price. I feel like it won't ever be anywhere close to mainstream until they get the price down, it really limits it as it takes out people that just can't afford it, but also those that *can* afford it but can't justify spending that much on a fancy peripheral. 

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea it took some self-convincing to pull the trigger at that price. I feel like it won't ever be anywhere close to mainstream until they get the price down, it really limits it as it takes out people that just can't afford it, but also those that *can* afford it but can't justify spending that much on a fancy peripheral. 

Yeah, I’m probably going to buy PSVR fairly soon after launch unless there are shortages.  I don’t enjoy VR and am not at all convinced it’s a good way to spend money, but I suspect the Horizon game will be enough to sell me.  I may wait until they actually announce the often rumored but still unconfirmed Half-Life: Alyx port.

Activision Blizzard is mandating that their QA staff return to working on the office part of the time. They are blanket denying requests for exceptions, even for those with legit ADA claims or were hired as fully remote and are nowhere close to "their office". 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/activision-blizzard-mandates-partial-return-to-office

Currently playing The Surge 2. The gameplay fun enough but there's no map or quest markers. I get that some like that but I hate it. I don't like running around like an asshole and having to remember or take notes where things are. It was only like $15 in the Playstation store so I'm not bent out of shape about it, just annoyed.

• Like 1

Let's talk some video games that I've been (re)playing.

• Tetris (GB) is not the best version of this game, but it's the most iconic. Type B's music is better than Type A's, fight me.

• Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga is a good idea in its first iteration. It was perfected in Bowser's Inside Story, which is still probably the third- or fourth-best Mario turn-based RPG depending on how you feel about The Thousand-Year Door. It's a game that tries to be funny and actually is sometimes, which is high praise considering the baseline for video game humor.

• Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins is so weird and quirky. It's got some of the best personality in a Mario platformer. It's kind of in that Super Mario Odyssey/Super Mario Galaxy tier of personality, where the world is just sort of nice to spend time within. Mario's jump is high, but not long, which makes what is an easy platformer in terms of design feel at least a bit challenging. Nintendo should stop wasting time remaking 3D Metroid and remake this game instead, IMO. 

• Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 is a version of one of my favorite/the best games ever made. I'm looking forward to getting to the e-Reader levels that I've never played. I don't know when they show up, but I'm only in World III right now.

• The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap is a gorgeous game. Of course, it's a Zelda game, so it's got a dumb story (though at least this particular dumb story fits in with the game being centered around Young Link). Art direction aside, a 2D Zelda is typically only as good as its dungeons. The first dungeon in this game was perfectly cromulent. Link's Awakening is still the gold standard of 2D Zelda games and basically Zelda games in general IMO, but this is a pretty good attempt. I will say that as I get the items to change size anywhere in the world (which I know must be programmed into the game somewhere based on the fact that there are places in the Minish Forest that I can't get to without an item that lets me do that), I'm looking forward to combing back through the overworld for collectibles. This game seems good. I'm interested in the other Capcom 2D Zeldas when they eventually come to the GBA NSO service.

• Samurai Shodown 2019 was on sale, so I bought it. I loved Samurai Shodown in the arcades as a kid. This game is beautiful, absolutely gorgeous. I'm about as good as it as I was in 1994 (so, not great!), but I'll stick with it and get at least good enough to consistently beat the computer on default difficulty. I might even stop maining Charlotte long enough to try some other characters. I may only have ever played as Haohmaru or Nakoruru in Capcom vs. SNK games, but never in their home game. I hope this Samurai Shodown revival did well enough to convince SNK to green light The Last Blade 3 someday soon. 

• I threw Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 in to get my "punching baddies with the Spider-Friends" quota in, and I accidentally wiped my one file with three playthroughs completed. Oops. I bought the DLC/Season Pass and never came back to the game, so there is a ton of content that I've missed. I might actually have to dig back into this. I was eyeballing Marvel's Midnight Suns at Target since it was on sale for PS5, but it's partly a card game, which turns me off, as much as I tend to enjoy Firaxis's games. Maybe I'll just play a Marvel-based dungeon crawler with no cards and lots of on-screen damage where the damage numbers go up to a visually-pleasing degree, instead. 

• Tennis World Tour is a perfectly decent tennis game. The Switch version has load times that are hilarious, like PS1/Saturn-era load times. 

• I just bought a copy of Paper Mario: Sticker Star for the 3DS even though I thought The Origami King was a bad game with a charm that felt forced, unlike Paper Mario N64 or The Thousand Year Door. This is because even if I hate it, I can just put the card back in the case and let it sit in a box for a few years, after which I can sell it for fifty or sixty bucks more than I paid for it. 
  • Like 1

I'm at that time of the year where I put FF XIV to the side for a bit and let my ADHD pick things for me.

Final Fantasy (I) Pixel Remaster is easier than I remember the original being (played it on my then brother-in-law's NES a million years ago), but will still let you get way far into the story before you realize that your party makeup is bad and you should feel bad. (Monk is awful squishy) (Red Mage is not an acceptable substitute for Black Mage)

I'm also getting the itch to waste 80 hours in FF XII again. (It's the music)

And I should really make a real effort at Hades, since I've never gotten past the 11th or 12th room.

On 2/19/2023 at 11:33 AM, JLSigman said:

I'm at that time of the year where I put FF XIV to the side for a bit and let my ADHD pick things for me.

Final Fantasy (I) Pixel Remaster is easier than I remember the original being (played it on my then brother-in-law's NES a million years ago), but will still let you get way far into the story before you realize that your party makeup is bad and you should feel bad. (Monk is awful squishy) (Red Mage is not an acceptable substitute for Black Mage)

I'm also getting the itch to waste 80 hours in FF XII again. (It's the music)

And I should really make a real effort at Hades, since I've never gotten past the 11th or 12th room.

I'm actually debating whether to get the Pixel Remasters on Switch or on PS5.

Probably makes more sense to have them on Switch, but trophies and stuff. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Trying to get my reflexes sharpened for the release of Dead Cells Return to Castlevania.

Haven't played Dead Cells before, but I'll probably pick it up in a deal if possible.

the Castlevania DLC for Dead Cells has me entertaining the thought of grabbing the game too. but man, i don't know when i'd fit it into my backlog. Who am i kidding? i know i'm going to throw it on the shelf next to the dozens of other games that i'll "get to eventually".

• Like 1

I don't love Dead Cells. It's like any other game like that (Hades, Rogue Legacy), where after a certain point, it just becomes too hard to grow your character overall because the costs scale worse than the money/exp you can get even by jumping straight to more challenging levels. I think a lot of it is that the point of the games aren't about levelling up so much as they're about progressing further in the game/dungeons. But dungeon progression for the sake of dungeon progression isn't as interesting to me as continuing to build the character.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Insert joke about the Switch not being able to actually run CoD* here.

*without streaming which we know the Switch is absolutely great at.

Edited by Raziel