DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 11/15/2023 at 12:05 PM, TheVileOne said:

If we have any kaiju fans here, I just wanted to let everyone know that Godzilla Minus One is the best Godzilla movie since the original, and I loved it. I saw the US premiere in LA, and it was spectacular.

Shin Godzilla was more of a political satire. This is a post-WWII drama mixed with a disaster movie. Great reset for the franchise, and it actually nails the human story. 

See this movie opening day.

My rinky dink little desert town finally started showing Godzilla Minus One this week. It's absolutely worthy of all the hype it's getting. A friend of mine had told me that it was "fantastic" and I had to tell her that she'd actually undersold it.  It's basically a mix of Jaws, Independance Day, and Full Metal Jacket. I honestly think that you can show it to someone who doesn't care at all about kaiju or Godzilla and they'd reallly enjoy it!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

My rinky dink little desert town finally started showing Godzilla Minus One this week. It's absolutely worthy of all the hype it's getting. A friend of mine had told me that it was "fantastic" and I had to tell her that she'd actually undersold it.  It's basically a mix of Jaws, Independance Day, and Full Metal Jacket. I honestly think that you can show it to someone who doesn't care at all about kaiju or Godzilla and they'd reallly enjoy it!

Most Godzilla movies, especially the Hollywood ones, the human characters are garbage and you're just waiting for monsters to show up and fight. This one actually built a compelling human storyline and made the humans likable, tragic figures. Like the reason we love Jaws isn't because we want to see the shark eat people, it's because we care about Chief Brody, Quint, and everyone else.

On 12/3/2023 at 11:42 AM, J.H. said:

It was important to me that Sandy's first movie going experience was with me and NOT her mother was mainly my soon to be ex has shit taste in movies.

I knew Sandy would willing go to Across The Spider-Verse so that was her first movie theater trip. If I had known it 2 and half hours going in I would've waited but I will not trade the experience of my daughter in my lap, snuggling her daddy as we both watched Spider-Man together for anything

Some things are meant for a movie theater

James

This reminds me of taking my daughter to the first Spider-Verse and her just being completely captivated, wanting to know who everyone was.  One of my favorite movie-going experiences.

On 12/13/2023 at 2:18 PM, Eivion said:

Going off of twitter the thing that apparently America needed to be brought together was movie with something as ridiculous as California and Texas teaming together to secede. Like everyone is laughing at this already purely because of that.

I’m mildly amused by this response to the trailer because a) California and Texas being united is obviously one of the hooks for the trailer, and b) it isn’t actually set in “the real world,” but people are getting hung up on this as if it was.

Adding to the conversation about pre-COVID movies, I’m pretty sure the last one I saw in theaters before the shutdown was Frozen 2 (twice).  The first one I saw after was Multiverse of Madness.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 2:18 PM, Eivion said:

Going off of twitter the thing that apparently America needed to be brought together was movie with something as ridiculous as California and Texas teaming together to secede. Like everyone is laughing at this already purely because of that.

That plot point feels like a massive cop out.

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Despite that middling review, Iron Claw is sitting at 89% on RT with 97 reviews in.  Also it's at 74 on Metacritic with 34 reviews counted.

• Like 1

Figured as much. As soon as I read the first paragraph I was like "fuck this dude": 

“The Iron Claw” inadvertently shares a lot in common with the professional wrestling world it depicts. A lot of energy and passion clearly went into it, and there’s a drive to entertain and thrill, but it ultimately ends up feeling empty and superficial.

Boy if that isn't the ultimate backhanded compliment

• Like 1

I barely watch any movies anymore but The Iron Claw is really good. Dorky wrestling fans like us would be the first to pan a movie about rasslin’ but it’s really good. They capture the emotional resonance of an insane family with pressure and tragedy. 

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I just looked it up at my local and it's 2 hr. 13 min. in case you were wondering. That's... a bit long. Not that I mind of course.

2:13 isn't long these days.   "Long" in 2023 starts around 2:40.  

Hell, I long for the days of a 90-95 minute movie, but editing is a lost art.

• Like 2

Well, I don't go to the Marvel movies. It's either 90 minutes or 4 hours for me, I suppose. 

I plan on going tomorrow at noon. Hopefully it's even less crowded than Thanksgiving was, though I doubt it. My Road Report will include a giant bag of popcorn and 40 oz. of Coke.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Unless it's an animated movie or a horror film in the what use to be the slow period of the year (Jan-Mar.), the 90 minute film is slowly dying out. Even the mid budget comedy films are at least 105-115 minutes long. So yeah, nothing stands out about the runtime for The Iron Claw.