DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Oh, I noticed. It was just this was the second time I'd seen it (first time was at Killers of the Flower Moon) and was paying more attention to my popcorn. 

That's a good look for him

EDIT: That plays way better as a straight trailer and I now got the Frankenstein influence beyond Dafoe's makeup. They're missing a funny bit in the other piece though where Emma Stone has just finished fucking Mark Ruffalo, rolls over and says "How come people don't do this all the time?" and he just looks at her like "Uhhhh... I have something to tell you..."

Edited by Curt McGirt

Random Tidbits

• Will Smith says that, unsurprisingly, I Am Legend 2 will use the original's alternate ending (which sees Smith's character living). Smith also confirmed that the movie will also star Michael B Jordan
  • Ryan Reynolds and Channing Tatum have signed on for the leading roles in the upcoming action comedy Calamity Hustle which will be directed by Adam and Aaron Nee (The Lost City)
  • Margo Robbie and Ryan Gosling will play Danny and Debbie Ocean's parents in the Ocean's 11 franchise prequel entitled... Oceans (that is being directed by Jay Roach)
  • Nicolas Cage says he will be winding down his actor career soon. Says he has "three or four movies left" and says he wants to be more selective in what he does for his final roles

12 hours ago, Mister TV said:

My nephew who was 8 at the time begged me to take him to see that, he wanted to leave about halfway through.

Man, I enjoyed that movie. It's simple and dumb but it works. 

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Nicolas Cage says he will be winding down his actor career soon. Says he has "three or four movies left" and says he wants to be more selective in what he does for his final roles

We'll see what the IRS has to say about that

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, elizium said:

We'll see what the IRS has to say about that

Supposedly he both paid off his tax bill and quit sniffing coke a few years back so he might actually have something put away for retirement.

• Like 2

It’s like the Tarantino thing where he’ll just do television when he needs a paycheck or feels like working. Lord and Miller are developing a Spider-Man Noir series for Prime; I don’t know if they’ll necessarily want someone in Cage’s age range or price tag, but it’s not impossible. 

3 hours ago, colonial said:

Disney and Pixar have announced they are giving three Pixar films "proper nationwide theatrical releases" in 2024.

SOUL -- January 12

TURNING RED -- February 9

LUCA -- March 22

AKA "how can we improve our bottom line without having to actually do any new work?"

Any truth to the rumor that we'll get "Snow White" in April and "Beauty and the Beast" in May?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Supposedly he both paid off his tax bill and quit sniffing coke a few years back so he might actually have something put away for retirement.

If I have to push Nic Cage off the wagon to ensure that he keeps making movies, then I'm going to fucking do it

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, elizium said:

If I have to push Nic Cage off the wagon to ensure that he keeps making movies, then I'm going to fucking do it

Morally I cannot condone this but I love your pluck.

On 12/1/2023 at 10:43 PM, elizium said:

What was the last movie you saw in theatres before Covid lockdowns is an interesting topic.

I haven’t seen a movie in theaters since Iron Man. If I have, I can’t remember it.

Just never been that into the theater experience, honestly.

33 minutes ago, elizium said:

Now I'm imagining you like the story from that Richard Pryor doc where his wife caught an unnamed comedian (which I imagine was Robin Williams) literally holding Pryor up against the wall trying to force him to snort coke 😄

Can you seriously imagine partying with Nic Cage and a fistful of blow? Can you imagine the conversations?!

Edited by Curt McGirt

I can't even think of the last movie I saw in theaters before covid. I know my wife and I went to see Tenet when theaters opened back up and that was pleasant even if the movie wasn't. Now I want to look this up...

Oh Jesus. It was Rise of Skywalker. That was for me, my daughter, and wife though. My wife went to go see Cats in the theater with her friend and the two of them had a blast laughing at it. Huh, the last good movie I saw in the theater before covid was Jumanji The Next Level (hey, we thought it was pretty fun and liked it). 

And yep, Tenet was the first movie we went to the theater for again.

• Haha 1

We still go to the movies fairly often, but a lot of the time we’ll go on a discount day and just buy the seats on either side of us so we don’t have anyone right on top of us. We’re so into the ritual of it that sometimes when we do movie night at home we’ll hit the concession stand at AMC and bring it back to the house. 

I know I talk up Alamo Drafthouse a lot, but when I went back to the theaters for the first time after lockdown (Nomadland was what finally got me back), they played this new opener.  After being closed for close to a year, it was great to go back to the theater experience I'd loved since I was a kid and thought I'd never have again.  Literal tears rolled down my face, but I am after everything a big softie:

The song they use is the absolutely terrific "The Wilderness" by Explosions in the Sky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I know I talk up Alamo Drafthouse a lot, but when I went back to the theaters for the first time after lockdown (Nomadland was what finally got me back), they played this new opener.  After being closed for close to a year, it was great to go back to the theater experience I'd loved since I was a kid and thought I'd never have again.  Literal tears rolled down my face, but I am after everything a big softie:

The song they use is the absolutely terrific "The Wilderness" by Explosions in the Sky. 

much better than the stupid nocole kidman one from AMC. . .