DVDVR Message Board

AEW/ROH Finances, Ratings, etc.

Log

14 hours ago, just drew said:

I’ve never once said that. And again, I thought you had me on ignore. You should be the biggest MJF fan there is. He’s doing the impossible and making Adam Cole compelling…

I have your posts on ignore just like you supposedly have me on ignore yet you’ve tagged me a few times (I’ve seen people reply to your posts) with your anti Cole BS. 

9041-D21-A-B578-46-B1-A39-C-4-A78-DD799-

All hail the Ratings King! The legend himself, The man keeping the company together, The One Above All, The American Rikidozan, the Santo of the US, the one, the only, ADAM COLE BAY-BAY! I thank you for your hard work and turning a t-shirt company into a bonafide WRESTLING promotion. Bay-bay, BAY-BAY.

• Haha 7

I saw a RT where someone on Twitter said MJF was bodyshaming Cole and that had no place in wrestling. 

Sir or Madam, you do not watch or want the same kind of wrestling we have had for over 125 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

That word deserves a filter

100% agree.

That being said...

Perhaps there would be money to be made and fun to be had in a Tony Nese (or Pretty Peter) growing a moustache and a  mullet, donning a sequined robe, and entering the ring to intone:

"Consider this a BoPo trigger warning: What I'd like right now is for all you adipose-ally gifted, differently-fit plant-based pork substitutes to keep the noise down while I take my robe off and show absolutely anyone who is sexually attracted to the male form what a cis male body that rigidly conforms to outdated societal norms looks like."

Or, on second thought, maybe there wouldn't be much money to be made or fun to be had there, after all. 

Edited by Gordlow
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I saw a RT where someone on Twitter said MJF was bodyshaming Cole and that had no place in wrestling. 

Sir or Madam, you do not watch or want the same kind of wrestling we have had for over 125 years. 

I take it this person has never seen a Ric Flair promo 

UwvcviK.png

Why main event a show with Wheeler Yuta? He’s clearly a ratings killer, and not worthy of interacting with actual main event talent. Especially after being put in every position to succeed. And would you look at that Adam Cole in Q2 drew almost 200,000 more viewers than Mox. But isn’t Mox and his razor blade a “huge draw”? 

(And yes I’m kidding. I fully agree with @Matt D that nothing matters, and we should be happy). 

• Like 1

Why main event a show with Wheeler Yuta? He’s clearly a ratings killer, and not worthy of interacting with actual main event talent. Especially after being put in every position to succeed. And would you look at that Adam Cole in Q2 drew almost 200,000 more viewers than Mox. But isn’t Mox and his razor blade a “huge draw”? 

Not sure how doing this over and over is preferable to him just expressing his position at this point. 

• Like 1

Not sure how doing this over and over is preferable to him just expressing his position at this point. 

I honestly am surprised the main event didn’t draw better, and I thought I’d joke about Wheeler. I personally went to bed because of the time I have to be up for work, but it was the first thing I watched tonight (and it was better than I’d anticipated). 

The only thing I can think of that might have hurt the ratings some is the Mets-Yankees game last night. I know that series always draws some of the best ratings in baseball.

• Like 1

I honestly am surprised the main event didn’t draw better

Bucks don't draw TV ratings - Hangman by himself and Kenny by himself always get good quarters, but Bucks trios matches are ratings poison

I used to think if you compared The Radicalz moving from WCW to WWE, Hangman would be the Shane Douglas of the group that gets left behind.

But honestly, Omega and Hangman have way more upside for WWE. Although I can't see Kenny making that move without bringing his buddies along.

Edited by Dolphman 3000

While I think quarter hour ratings are pretty much meaningless, aside from something cute to glance at for five seconds, I am interested in how Collision does over the next month or so. Saturday nights have never been a great night for weekly TV ratings (besides SNL), especially the first released ratings that come out before DVR etc are taken into account. I'd think it would settle in somewhere between what Rampage and Dynamite have been doing, but they'd probably like the first one to be more in the Dynamite range before it slips. The worst case for them would be it settles down into what Rampage gets which obviously isn't their goal. 

Now is the best time before football starts, Saturday nights are more clear now then they will be in the fall so hopefully they can get some momentum going.

• Like 2

I think people and fans and anti-fans should be realistic about Collision numbers and what's realistic goal wise, just to be fair to the new show.

Could expect the new Collision show to do better than most of the other Saturday shows. 

Below is one Saturday Cable ratings chart from ShowBuzzDaily

2023-6-10-Sat-FinalCable-LSD.png

6 hours ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

UFC prelims, as that chart shows, usually get around 700,000 viewers on cable - and UFC Fight Night cards have recently averaged around 1 million

If Collision can't beat either of those, they're in for a bad time since UFC runs every Saturday night:

https://www.espn.com/mma/schedule/_/league/ufc

Well that's a bit of an untruth. UFC's situation on Saturdays fluctuates, they don't run every Saturday at night and air on four different channels depending on the event. Like tonight they don't start on ESPN until 10 PM, prelims are on ESPN2, I assume Collision will be able to beat ESPN2 prelims. Next Saturday is an afternoon show, no competition. 7/1 is the next time they'd go head to head with UFC on ESPN, so that will be an interesting fight. 7/8 UFC isn't on ESPN. I don't think they have to beat UFC Fight Nights head to head to be considered not a failure, UFC is a behemoth and a Saturday staple for many many years. ESPN pays a hell of a lot more for UFC than WB pays for AEW, they aren't expected to be on the same level. But they don't want to be crushed by them either.

• Like 2