DVDVR Message Board

Raw 10-28-13

MGFanJay

This was a fun show live but man 3 hours is too long.

Yeah.  I thought the crowd was good tonight for the first 2 hours but got burned out in hour 3.  That's been the pattern most weeks ever since they went to 3 hours.  The Rhodes-Americans match was really f'n good, but the crowd was just dead for most of it.  Goldust was trying really hard to get them into it, yelling at the crowd when he was on offense late in the match.  Crowd did pick up more for the finishing stretch, but that match would have been so much better with a hot crowd.  Then poor Del Rio gets thrown out there in the 3rd hour to get serenaded with "WHAT?!" chants by a tired/bored crowd.  His promo would have come off a lot better if done earlier in the show.  Heck, even the girls were trying really f'n hard just to get the crowd to react to anything.

With the pre-show tapings and dark match, you probably end up being in the arena 4+ hours, right?  That's too long for a tv taping.  It's too long for almost any wrestling show.

It bothered me that The Wyatt Family were also standing on the ramp at the end of the show with everyone else. I felt like they should have been excluded from that, to protect their gimmick. If The Undertaker were around, how odd would it be for him to be standing there? Especially after the night that the Wyatt's had, taking out both Punk & Bryan. Just kind of peeved me, I guess. Harper & Rowan are dreadful though. They even fuck up sneak attack beatdowns because they're so sloppy. Don't give me that "Brodie Lee was great on the Indies!" bullshit either. He does have a great big boot though.

I can't tell if Harper is working this way on purpose or not, as part of the gimmick.  He does tend to look clumsy and sloppy.  I didn't see a ton of Brodie Lee on the indies, mostly Chikara, and he wasn't that way like he appears to be now.  Maybe age and injuries catching up?

Punk looked to be bleeding around the hairline, but I couldn't tell if that was from the Wyatt beatdown or part of the table catching him after the elbow drop

What's up with the complete disregard for Ryback.  They built that match up for two hours then it was incredibly short, with Punk taking a bit of punishment but basically dominating and winning decisively.  Not like they didn't have enough time to fill on the show.

I also wonder how bad Punk is hurting these days, because other than the match with Lesnar he hasn't looked that great since his comeback, and bodywise looks smaller than ever

• Like 1

What's up with the complete disregard for Ryback.  They built that match up for two hours then it was incredibly short, with Punk taking a bit of punishment but basically dominating and winning decisively.  Not like they didn't have enough time to fill on the show.

Basically him, and The Miz are fucked.

This was a fun show live but man 3 hours is too long.

Yeah.  I thought the crowd was good tonight for the first 2 hours but got burned out in hour 3.  That's been the pattern most weeks ever since they went to 3 hours.  The Rhodes-Americans match was really f'n good, but the crowd was just dead for most of it.  Goldust was trying really hard to get them into it, yelling at the crowd when he was on offense late in the match.  Crowd did pick up more for the finishing stretch, but that match would have been so much better with a hot crowd.  Then poor Del Rio gets thrown out there in the 3rd hour to get serenaded with "WHAT?!" chants by a tired/bored crowd.  His promo would have come off a lot better if done earlier in the show.  Heck, even the girls were trying really f'n hard just to get the crowd to react to anything.

With the pre-show tapings and dark match, you probably end up being in the arena 4+ hours, right?  That's too long for a tv taping.  It's too long for almost any wrestling show.

Got in the building about 7:30 and left a little after 11 after HHH had everyone thrown out. That was great. Trying to get JBL to call the police for tresspassing and then hiring everyone only to fire them. Scripted HHH sucks but unscrpited live HHH is fun.

I felt bad for Natalya/Summer. Sure it wasn't very good and it wasn't put in the right time but the crowd gave it nothing. 30 seconds in they started a "this is garbage" chant. Also the crowd really loved the Goldust match. I guess most of the heat happened during commercial?

If someone were a big NXT fan & tried to make a case for Summer Rae already being better than Natalya Niedhart, I wouldn't argue with them. She also seems to ooze a physical charisma that not a lot of the other Divas seem to have, including Nattie. If Rae keeps improving, an A.J. Lee Vs. Summer Rae Divas feud could be fun. Especially if A.J. is a pinball babyface again. Have you seen her Twitter? Little girls love her. Dressing up for her for Halloween, crying when they meet her & stuff. She could be a positive female role model for girls, which is something WWE never really ever has.

So WWE's most pushed acts right now are:

The broken down, injury-plagued Big Show who probably won't be able to go for much longer.

The broken down injury-plagued John Cena who probably won't be able to go for much longer.

This will totally end well.

Not like Bryan has a long shelf life with the style he works.  

Very true.  I actually worried throughout the whole Daniel Bryan slow burn build that he would just blow out his knees or get a severe concussion and end up on the shelf on the eve of his big push.

Natalya has one fucking move, that her family made famous, and she can't even do it without struggling like an infant in the crib.

Oh come on.  The Natalya hate on here from some people is getting ridiculous.  She's not great, but she's not as awful and incompetent as some people here make her out to be, and she's generally put in the position of going out there and trying to make super green models look good.

Summer has the longest legs Natalya has probably ever had to put the move on, and I doubt Summer is an expert on getting put in a Sharpshooter.  She struggled with it for like one second, then when she locked it in and rolled it over it looked really good.

And Summer was pro enough to sell it like it fucked up her leg afterwards.  Even when her and Fandago were standing on the stage for the last segment she was still selling it.  She's got potential.

Here's another thing that'll probably tick you off.  Summer Rae is already a better worker than Nattie is or probably ever will be.  I hear this all the time about Nattie being good, Nattie not being another model, Nattie having to make gold with models in the ring, but whenever someone says "Name one good Natalya match" is when the argument falls apart.  Summer Rae has already had 2-3 matches better than any Natalya match.

It bothered me that The Wyatt Family were also standing on the ramp at the end of the show with everyone else. I felt like they should have been excluded from that, to protect their gimmick. If The Undertaker were around, how odd would it be for him to be standing there? Especially after the night that the Wyatt's had, taking out both Punk & Bryan. Just kind of peeved me, I guess. Harper & Rowan are dreadful though. They even fuck up sneak attack beatdowns because they're so sloppy. Don't give me that "Brodie Lee was great on the Indies!" bullshit either. He does have a great big boot though.

I didn't like the Wyatt Family being on the ramp at the end, either, but I'm so baffled by the "Harper & Rowan are dreadful" line of thinking.  That backstage beating looked like an actual beating, two dudes just mauling a little guy.  Harper's big boot isn't even his best move, I'd wager, his clothesline and that move where he grabs the guy in a headlock and rolls him like an alligator is just awesome.  They're perfect heels in that they don't do anything flashy or showy to get the crowd behind them, just big, methodical mauling beatdowns.

My fantasy booking for the end of the night, rather than a Big Show appearance was for Randy to be celebrating in the ring with Triple H and Stephanie, and the Wyatts music to hit again and they come out and maul Randy Orton and Triple H while Stephanie looks on in horror.  Wyatt says "The devil made me do it" again and Vince McMahon walks out on stage at the end and surveys the carnage and laughs.

Summer Rae's voice is horrifying. 

At least her valet is dumb, pretty and mute.

[*]

big fan of summer rae and rob naylor when they were in nxt.

[*]

@missyhyatt Thanks Missy! Most of her outside ring antics are the direct inspiration of watching my Memphis, uwf and wcw DVDs of you!

[*]

@NINaylor My wrestling career will not be complete until I fight Rob Naylor in a Moondog Concession Stand Brawl

[*]

@missyhyatt *throws jar of mustard and looks for Bill Dundee as a tag partner*

• Like 8

Here's another thing that'll probably tick you off.  Summer Rae is already a better worker than Nattie is or probably ever will be.  I hear this all the time about Nattie being good, Nattie not being another model, Nattie having to make gold with models in the ring, but whenever someone says "Name one good Natalya match" is when the argument falls apart.  Summer Rae has already had 2-3 matches better than any Natalya match.

Yeah....I'm calling bullshit on this.  And I'm not exactly a big Nattie fan, and she's not as good as she used to be, but it's true that she's the girl they ask to go out there and make the girls they want to push look good.  Her looking bad or the matches she's in looking awkward isn't exactly her fault.

I like Summer Rae a lot, and maybe she's had some more entertaining matches than Nattie has, I haven't seen any of her in NXT.  Hell, I find her far more entertaining than Natty on WWE tv already.  But that doesn't make Summer Rae a better worker.  Put Summer in there with Aksana or someone like that and ask her to make them look good.  At least Summer when given the chance can look good and shows some real potential.  Nattie gave the entire match to her.

• Like 1

As far as naming a good Natalya match, her match with Alicia Fox on Superstars in July 2011 (I think July 7) was my favorite of hers. I'm sure she's had some other pretty good ones too. But yeah Summer Rae is pretty awesome, and everything I watched of her in NXT vs Paige, Sasha, Emma, etc. was all pretty enjoyable and she came off like a star and good in the ring.

• Like 1

Liked what I watched from RAW starting with John Cena's opening segment and John Cena vs. Damien Sandow for the World Heavyweight Championship as Sandow cashed in the Money in the Bank contract. I’m a fan of Sandow, shame he lost. I miss the days when both the WWE and World Heavyweight Championship were treated at a similar level. The Daniel Bryan/Shawn Michaels segment was the best thing on the show. I liked the closing segment between Big Show/Randy Orton/The Authority and The Shield as well.

I know The Shield going another direction will be heartbreaking for some of us but this was inevitable. Maybe we get a few Shield/Wyatts tags before its over, see if the Wyatts are any good.

As soon as Punk/Ryback went short I knew someone was coming out. Mildly surprised it was the Wyatts, that was a fun beatdown. The Kane demasking bit was odd to, need to see where it goes before I can judge it.

Undertaker is behind the Wyatts.  He got to Kane.  He made HHH and HBK his bitches at Wrestlemania so, having been completely humbled, they now do his bidding.  The endgame is Daniel Bryan ending The Streak.

I hope I have completely ruined WWE for anyone who will now be massively disappointed if the long-term angle isn't blown off that way.

I don't think I bought into a single near-fall for Sandow. It was the same story with the Ziggler feud where Cena kicked out of every finisher. Didn't necessarily mind Cena winning by itself, but it bugs me that only the tippy-top guys have truly protected finishers. Those should be the ace in the hole for any wrestler: No matter how "outmatched" someone may be, he has a chance of winning if he can hit his finisher.

Yeah the Super Cena stuff has grown very tiresome. You can pretty much layout his matches before they start. I catch myself going "okay, finisher reversal into opponents finisher, kickout at 2, Cena finisher, 3 count." It's really "special" when he does it with one arm.

If they do Bryan vs. HBK, Daniel is really going to have his work cut out for him. Shawn can barely walk to the ring.

I don't think I bought into a single near-fall for Sandow. It was the same story with the Ziggler feud where Cena kicked out of every finisher. Didn't necessarily mind Cena winning by itself, but it bugs me that only the tippy-top guys have truly protected finishers. Those should be the ace in the hole for any wrestler: No matter how "outmatched" someone may be, he has a chance of winning if he can hit his finisher.

Was there ever a stated reason why Ziggler dropped the superkick?

Because it is Shawn's finish and Ziggler is a jobber.

• Like 4

I didn't like the Wyatt Family being on the ramp at the end, either, but I'm so baffled by the "Harper & Rowan are dreadful" line of thinking.

Has anyone said that Harper is "dreadful?" I don't know that I've ever read that anywhere.  Rowan sucks, yes absolutely, but not Harper.

• Like 1

I'm sure it had something to do with Shawn Michaels.

I didn't like the Wyatt Family being on the ramp at the end, either, but I'm so baffled by the "Harper & Rowan are dreadful" line of thinking.

Has anyone said that Harper is "dreadful?" I don't know that I've ever read that anywhere.  Rowan sucks, yes absolutely, but not Harper.

Yes & in this very thread in fact!

It bothered me that The Wyatt Family were also standing on the ramp at the end of the show with everyone else. I felt like they should have been excluded from that, to protect their gimmick. If The Undertaker were around, how odd would it be for him to be standing there? Especially after the night that the Wyatt's had, taking out both Punk & Bryan. Just kind of peeved me, I guess. Harper & Rowan are dreadful though. They even fuck up sneak attack beatdowns because they're so sloppy. Don't give me that "Brodie Lee was great on the Indies!" bullshit either. He does have a great big boot though.

And yes, he's crazy for thinking Harper is dreadful, as someone else said, it looks like he is actually beating guys down. It's not flashy, but it looks like it hurts. Which seems like exactly what you'd want from someone in the Harper role.