DVDVR Message Board

Best US-based wrestlers of the 90s

Eddy seems like a shoe-in. Foley could be up there. Like Scorp, but I haven't seen as much of him to put him up there. Bret for sure. Jericho might be an interesting guy in the discussion. Dustin had an awesome first half of the decade but didn't do much when he went to the WWF. That being said, his first half is a lot better than almost anyone else's full decade. Austin and Michaels deserve to be in there, too, along with Bulldog and Owen.

One guy I'll throw out there is Waltman, who was a really steady guy for a lot of the decade before falling off a cliff.

Sting had a ton of great matches in the early 90's but I haven't seen much of WCW from late '94 to around the time the nWo was created.

You didn't miss anything there, but he still belongs in the discussion.I thought a case could be made for anyone brought up in the thread until I saw Bulldog mentioned. No way.

I think Dustin was one of the best workers of the first half of the decade, and was prominently in what I would consider my favorite US match of the 90s. While his in ring work was largely inconsistent in the second half, I would say that Goldust was some of the best character work from the decade. Aside from maybe Foley, I don't think you can claim anyone else straddles the line like that.

Yeah, Foley, Vader, Hart, Guerrero. Arn Anderson.

Bret Hart was assuming the role of Ric Flair in being able to carry brooms to five-start matches.

Dallas Page and Bobby Eaton had two genius runs with the WCW Television Title in the 90's so there's that, too.

Not sure why people are no-selling me mentioning Foley and Shawn in the fourth post of the thread, and Benoit was mentioned at one point (albeit as "He who shall not be named") but it's more than understandable that nobody would be all that excited to praise the man.

Vader had good matches with these names between 1991 and 1999:

-Stan Hansen

-Tatsumi Fujinami

-Great Muta

-The Steiner Bros.

-Sting

-Davey Boy Smith

-Rick Rude

-Ricky Steamboat

-Cactus Jack

-Ric Flair

-Big Bossman

-Dustin Rhodes

-Hulk Hogan

-Antonio Inoki

-Razor Ramon

-Shawn Michaels

-Steve Austin

-The Undertaker

-Bret Hart

-Kenta Kobashi

-Mitsuharu Misawa

He wins.

Vader had good matches with these names between 1991 and 1999:

-Stan Hansen

-Tatsumi Fujinami

-Great Muta

-The Steiner Bros.

-Sting

-Davey Boy Smith

-Rick Rude

-Ricky Steamboat

-Cactus Jack

-Ric Flair

-Big Bossman

-Dustin Rhodes

-Hulk Hogan

-Antonio Inoki

-Razor Ramon

-Shawn Michaels

-Steve Austin

-The Undertaker

-Bret Hart

-Kenta Kobashi

-Mitsuharu Misawa

He wins.

"U.S. based" means your list is 6 names too long, but you're probably close to right anyhow.

Rey Jr. does probably deserve more mention than he's gotten (although I guess he only gets about half the decade as U.S. based) because he was so god damn good.

Mostly unrelated, but how amazing is it that WWE is having this insanely all-time great in-ring year WITHOUT Rey?

Rey Jr. does probably deserve more mention than he's gotten (although I guess he only gets about half the decade as U.S. based) because he was so god damn good.

Mostly unrelated, but how amazing is it that WWE is having this insanely all-time great in-ring year WITHOUT Rey?

When was the last time Rey was "great"?

When was the last time Rey was "great"?

Jericho feud, so...2009

He was still one of the best guys around in 2011.  Carried a really bland Cody Rhodes to a couple quite good matches, had a classic with Cena on RAW, was good every week on tv that he was healthy.

• Like 2