DVDVR Message Board

Best US-based wrestlers of the 90s

The Malenko discussion in the general natter thread put this in my head. I don't think he's in the discussion, but I assume others might. This isn't a Malenko thread anyway. I'd love to know who you guys would call the best US-based guys* of the 90s. Throw me top 5s or 10s or just some names in no particular order.

*I don't wanna exclude guys who did a lot of wrestling elsewhere, but I'm just basing this on wrestling done in the States, or for US-based companies. For example, if you think Ultimo Dragon's WCW stint is enough to put him in the discussion, throw him out there.

This question is a lot harder for me than I initially thought it would be when reading the thread title. I didn't realize how many of my personal favorites wrestled overseas. Also, it's sort of odd because you have to form your own definition of "best" when compiling a list, you know? For example, Dean Malenko bored me to tears...but at the same time, I also don't think anyone is putting Hulk Hogan on their list either.

The only two names that come to mind that I'm confident in are Eddie Guerrero & Rey Mysterio, Jr. Shawn Michaels & Bret Hart are probably there as well, along with some other personal favorites like Tito Santana, Ricky Steamboat & Rick Rude but I would have to think about it more.

Most of my favorite stuff from Big Van Vader came from Japan. Most of my favorite Ric Flair stuff came from the 80's.

Obviously everyone here gets the big ones out of the way quick, but one I haven't seen yet that should absolutely be in the discussion is Mick Foley. Outside of his famous death matches in Japan, he did most of his work in the US for the entire decade, and contributed to each of the 3 major promotions of the 90s. He was never the top guy, but he was key to WCW's depth, ECW's extreme image, and defining both the physical and comedic qualities of the attitude era. I don't know if anyone in the history of wrestling could put an opponent over as strong as Foley, and he put over some great ones in the 90s.

My top 5 based on US Work (no order):Mick Foley

Eddie Guerrero

Rey Mysterio Jr.

Steve Austin

Vader

Michaels, Hart, Dustin, and he who shall not be named are also strong contenders.

• Like 1

Brian Pillman may not be a top 5 guy, but I think he at least belongs in this discussion. Besides being a pioneer of junior heavyweight wrestling in America, Pillman also had U.S. match of the year level matches with Alex Wright and Johnny B. Badd (both solid workers, but not the type of guys who would be having those level matches otherwise). Both his tag team and later feud with Steve Austin were cut short, yet produced many memorable matches. Also, while Austin's WCW career got railroaded the most by the arrival of Hulk Hogan, Pillman went from having titles matches and key feuds on PPV to participating in a lower card ECW talent exchange. 

He wasn't the best but Raven did a ton of solid work in the 90's. Whether it was as Scotty Flamingo/The Body or Raven, he was pretty good in the ring and the Johnny Polo character was great too. Gotta give him props for having a great decade in those different capacities.

Owen Hart is probably up there too, not just Bret. Actually, someone could probably make a case for Sabu as well. Maybe even Chris Candido, thinking back to some ECW stuff. If Tajiri worked more in the 90's I'd also try to make a case for him but he doesn't have enough stuff in the 90's.

How about X-Pac/1-2-3 Kid? He had a lot of really good work in the 90's. I think he's in my top 10.

I think the answer is Bret. From 90-97 he was one of the most consistent wrestlers ever. Even his WCW stuff is good if you watch it in a vacuum.

I always liked that Bret is one of the few main even guys whose matches didn't always end on his or his opponent's finisher. The title switch to Diesel is one of my favorite finishes ever, and, of course, Wembley with Davey and the identical finishes with his first match with Austin and Mania with Piper are so good.

Owen Hart is probably up there too, not just Bret.

Owen is one of those people who everyone will agree was a great worker, but there just aren't that many great matches you can point to in order to back that up.

What ones are there?

Off-hand,

vs. Bret Mania X

vs. Bulldog, European Title finals from RAW

w/Bret vs. Steiners

The highly divisive cage match with Bret at Summerslam '94.

The Canadian Stampede 10-Man.

Are there any otheres?