DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Apparently it's either a ripoff or a remake of a French film named Force Majeure. 

Yup - its the English language remake

In fact if you compare trailers - they are almost shot for shot remakes

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Minions: The Rise of Gru

Once again, thank you almighty God, for making me gay and never wanting to have any children.

And just to satisfy my mild curiosity, the Minions....  It sounds like the characters went from nonsense speak in the first movie to just slightly garbled Spanish now? 

12 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Once again, thank you almighty God, for making me gay and never wanting to have any children.

And just to satisfy my mild curiosity, the Minions....  It sounds like the characters went from nonsense speak in the first movie to just slightly garbled Spanish now? 

The first Minions movie? Because it's always been a mix of French and Spanish and maybe Latin (?). So the romance languages.

14 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

When you say "first" movie do you mean Despicable Me or the first Minions movie because they sound like the same in the first Minions movie

So, theoretically, in the timeline of the movies - they are actually de-evolving and getting dumber

On 2/4/2020 at 12:20 PM, Matt D said:

Someone spent 95 million to make Cats.

And the end result was a cat coming along and knocking what was made from that 95 mil off of a counter and onto the floor.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Never seen the Minions movies though I have watched the Despicable Me films. They tend be ok and forgettable. Why do so many of you hate them so strongly?

To some extent it's irrational. I honestly don't get what's funny about this yellow thing saying "banana." They seem to be crutches in a story where they can't find a joke to tell. 

To the other side though, they've become an avatar for all the bad takes, bad faith arguments, and fake rebels out there. (Especially popular among the anti-vax crowd.) It's not as bad these days, but they were inescapable for a long, long time. 

It was so bad that the creator of the characters himself said he was sick of seeing them and what they'd become. 

So yeah... Fuck those things. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The How Did This Get Made? for Cats will be incredible.

Prediction: June will spend thirty minutes picking apart the costuming, Jason will say it made him cum, and Paul will be reminded of a devastating childhood story that’s only tangentially related to what they’re taking about. 

• Like 1

THE HUNT

Starring Betty Gilpin, Hilary Swank, Emma Roberts, and Glenn Howerton

Premieres March 13th. 

---

This is the movie that got shelved last year because of the El Paso/Dayton mass shootings. 

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, either the kid that runs LionsGate's twitter account is on a poppers high ("Must get rid of toxic in community") or they've just all but confirmed Knives Out 2 is a go:

It was confirmed a few days ago. Rian Johnson and Daniel Craig both returning.

EDIT: And I really hope they go with the goofy idea of Benoit Blanc having a different accent.

Edited by Craig H

On 2/4/2020 at 7:12 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Except for the French trailer not making painfully explicit exactly what is going on with them, unlike the American film. 

Methinks that will probably be the difference in a nutshell. Subtlety vs. Will Ferrell. 

Y’all have no idea what French sounds like, eh?