DVDVR Message Board

The Walking Dead.

The Natural

I wonder if it wasn't [redacted] who we see being eaten but actually [redacted], who shot himself and fell on top of him.  Maybe [you know] was underneath [that guy], who was actually the one being eaten.

It would be a bit of a cop out but one I'm sure many who watch the show would be fine with.

I re-watched the scene a few times, and whatshisface who shot himself is clearly lying on top of Glenn and being eaten

Can we say names yet? Didn't want them to die, but it would be even worse if next week starts with him scooting out and under the legs of a hundred zombies.

Am I the only one having trouble trying to piece together the timeline and area? Morgan is able to get to Alexandria only a couple minutes after the horn goes off, even though he was with Rick and Michonne. But this episode makes it seem like that group is quite far from home.

That said, I'm enjoying that they're spending several episodes dealing with one event, the pacing has been fantastic. Normally this show has entire episodes of nothing happening, because the action is all condensed down.

• Like 1

Am I the only one having trouble trying to piece together the timeline and area? Morgan is able to get to Alexandria only a couple minutes after the horn goes off, even though he was with Rick and Michonne. But this episode makes it seem like that group is quite far from Alexandria.

Yeah, it makes the kind of sense that doesn't. They were half an hour ahead of the horde and halfway back to Alexandria, having been going straight there,so they were roughly an hour's walk away (about 3 miles*) when the horn went off... but Morgan was back in minutes even though he didn't leave early. No idea what was going on with Daryl's movement either. He was leaving the horde having lead them five miles, then he was speeding back to Alexandria (which if he was going 60 miles an hour, it would have taken him 12 minutes to get there. And I think he was going faster than that), then he just shows up back at the horde. 

They want this show to be mindless entertainment. But they pace it too slowly and invite analysis it can't withstand.

* Can you even hear a truck horn from more than one mile away? Loudly? I don't think you can. The gunshots in the distance didn't sound that loud, and they were a lot closer.

Ok, let's clear up the "How did Morgan get there so fast" thing.  In the premier episode, Rick had sent Morgan back to Alexandria way before the horn sounded, so, yes, he had plenty of time to be there for the attack.

It's also very likely the two places might not have been that far apart geographically, but there was no straight road between the two.  Morgan is very swift and stealthy and is one guy on his own, so it would have been easy for him to cut through the woods or whatever route was necessary to take the most direct path.  Rick and company all looked to be moving along different roads to get back there, which may have been indirect enough to slow their return considerably (or the more direct routes were impassible).

I wish The Walking Dead was in the regular forum and not the comic book one. It's pretty far from the comics usually, and it gets way less traffic back here.

The Morgan episode is fine, but it's placement after last week's anti-cliffhanger is indefensible. And it suffers from prequel-itis in that you know that Morgan is going to grow into this Bushido warrior who will not kill and his "master" was going to die.

Also, not sure if the Wolf he was talking to was bit or what at the end. If he's bit, it explains somewhat of the frenzied manner of the wolves that attacked (e.g. They have nothing to live for and nothing to lose).

Morgan's going to die some noble and foolish death this season.

I really liked this episode.  With 90 minutes this had time to breathe and tell one helluva story.  Eastman was awesome, loved the actor who played him.  And I can see people trying Akiido after watching this.

EDIT:  Lawful, I get what you're saying.  Maybe doing this after all that happened last wasn't the best placement.  They could have slotted this in after a not-so-earth-shattering episode if they wanted to.  And I was expecting at first they were going to follow up on last week but that didn't happen.  Was a bit disappointed, but got over it and ended up liking it.

The Morgan episode is fine, but it's placement after last week's anti-cliffhanger is indefensible. And it suffers from prequel-itis in that you know that Morgan is going to grow into this Bushido warrior who will not kill and his "master" was going to die.

Those were my issues with the episode itself.  It's fine to do an introspective flashback episode but for fuck's sake, don't do it after a cliffhanger in which a main character's fate is left up in the air.  And yeah, I spent the episode asking, "okay, so how is Eastman going to die?"  Another problem I had with the writing of the episode was timing issues.  To a lesser extent, how long was Morgan at Eastman's house?  It seems like a good while, but Morgan's camp is totally undisturbed, no walkers even on the sticks, when they go back to it.  To a greater extent, how long was Morgan back in his camp, going crazy again?  It seemed like a while, but then he goes back to Eastman's and hands him the walker's wallet, so I guess it's the same day?

To me, there are two reasons they did this episode, the first I'm certain of and the second I'm assuming.  They needed to explain why Morgan has the code he has because:

1) The creators of the show knew fans would be turning on Morgan.  While Rick and Carol are kind of crazy, their code works for the world as it is now.  Kill or be killed.  Here comes Morgan with a set of values that is, at best, naive and, at worst, dangerous.  We already saw Wolves he let get away (and grab a gun) almost kill Rick.  We're more apt to cheer for Rick and Carol and write Morgan off as a dangerous dumbass.  Will this episode build a little sympathy for the character?  I don't know but it at least gives Morgan's views a little more validity as to why he does what he does.

2) Bad things are going to come out of that Wolf being locked in the basement.  Because of that, we need to understand why Morgan did it instead of just saying, again, "what a fucking dumbass."

The episode was written to make us come around a bit on Morgan.  Maybe not sympathize, but at least understand.

I wish The Walking Dead was in the regular forum and not the comic book one. It's pretty far from the comics usually, and it gets way less traffic back here.

Also, not sure if the Wolf he was talking to was bit or what at the end. If he's bit, it explains somewhat of the frenzied manner of the wolves that attacked (e.g. They have nothing to live for and nothing to lose).

Morgan's going to die some noble and foolish death this season.

Agree that I wish this thread was in the regular forum.

I liked the Morgan episode and like him as a character. His code and all that makes him different and I'm cool with that.

This week, nothing happened. 4 episodes in and it's still the same day. Maybe it will be the day after that next week. A month after the day started, it can finally end.

This week, nothing happened. 4 episodes in and it's still the same day. Maybe it will be the day after that next week. A month after the day started, it can finally end.

The whole first half is supposed to take place over 24 hours (minus the flashback parts). Guessing next episode covers overnight.

So, they have an ever growing mass of zombies outside the walls and they just stare at them and bicker? Why not get some long sticks or something. I don't know how much that would help, but just sitting there and waiting for the wall to topple over seems like a pretty bad idea.

• Like 1

Rick's plan was for them to be quiet and wait for some of the walkers to wander away on their own, and then wait for Darrel and Glenn and the rest to make their way back to the compound and then lead the rest of the walkers away in their vehicles. He mentioned later on in the episode that he expected/wanted them to be back before dark and was upset that they were not. Best plan? Maybe not. But probably better than a bunch of long sticks and poking the walkers in the head from on top of the wall.

The way they're showing Glenn's dead (name's out of credits, message on wall Maggie put up) makes me more certain than ever he's alive.  Odds are they'll show that the last episode before the winter break.  If that's the plan then they might end up having more filler until then.