DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Offseason Thread

Dolfan in NYC

The fact that he knew teams would wait on him despite the feeding frenzy going on Sunday, and was right, is just spectacular.

I mean, the Lakers are going to be fucked if he doesn't land there, after basically sitting out free agency. They'll be filling their bench with guys who were washed up two years ago.

The Clippers will still have some young, feisty talent, but no clear path how to get from "lower seed" to "contender" without him.

And the Raptors will either enter next season as the favorites in the East, or staring at a likely tear down and at least mild rebuild.

• Like 1

I don't really know why he'd go to the Lakers.  If it works, he looks like a frontrunner, even if he did just have one of the best playoff runs in modern history.  If it doesn't work, it has all the makings of the most absurd shitshow outside of the Beltway.

If he stays in Toronto or goes to the Clippers, at least the "told you so" bullshit gets swept to the wayside.

• Like 1

I know this is driving the GMs up the wall but what purpose does it serve the player to wait? With Kawhi waiting, other teams are gobbling up the role players that could surround you and make your team stronger. 

I mean, the dude is making a major decision that will affect the entire future of his career, I don't think we should begrudge him a couple of days to think about it.

19 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The Clippers will still have some young, feisty talent, but no clear path how to get from "lower seed" to "contender" without him.

Trade Gallo, picks, and one of their young guys for Beal?

Its not like he hasn't had the time between the finals and now to think about it. But assuming he doesn't go to the Lakers, the irony of AD forcing his way out of a lousy team in NO, only to have the Lakers being a bigger shit show, and Pelicans being a playoff team(mostly due to the package of trading AD) is fantastic.

• Haha 1

I could totally see Kawhi being the one person to take tampering rules seriously and actually not talk to any teams until the 1st.

Kieff Morris to the Pistons for the BAE.  So much for the idea of the Morii getting back together.

You piqued my curiosity, so I went looking. Not for sure, but this Mavericks lineup from 2002 is apparently the tallest:

Steve Nash (6'3")

Michael Finley (6'7")

Dirk Nowitzki (7'0")

Raef LaFrentz (6'11")

Shawn Bradley (7'6")

This past season, the Bucks got close when they started a game without Bledsoe:

Khris Middleton (6'8")

Giannis Antetokounmpo (6'11")

Nikola Mirotic (6'10")

Ersan Ilyasova (6'10")

Brook Lopez (7'0")

59 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I feel like Philly might have the tallest starting lineup ever next year. Simmons/Richardson/Harris/Horford/Embiid

After last season's small line-up made Siakam look like an All-Star in their playoff series w/ Toronto, I ain't complaining about them getting bigger...

• Like 1

That Dallas lineup is something. A tall but not extraordinarily so backcourt, but holy fuck that front court.

Simmons (6'10")

Richardson (6'6")

Harris (6'9")

Horford (6'10")

Embiid (7'0")

Still has to be way up there for a potential regular starting five though.

9 hours ago, _MJ_ said:

It was just Celtics Great, Kevin McHale, trading former MVP of the league, Kevin Garnett, from Minnesota to McHale's former team for...I don't even remember.

But that, of course, is the right way to form a "superteam" so it doesn't get the same ire.

Can't knock a franchise,  That's Ainge job and they gave up Al Jefferson who was a 20 and 10 guy with a lot of potential.

44 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Jalen Rose says Kawhi is 99% staying in TO now. LEAKS, ALL OF THE LEAKS. Go to the Clips, as they are the only trustworthy team, Kawhi!

We need the WCW hotline to establish that Kawhi is indeed the mystery third man the dirtsheets have been talking about.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Suns are going to waive recently acquired Kyle Korver. Korver is expected to sign with either the Lakers, Bucks or Sixers

Memphis will NOT buyout recently acquired Andre Iguodala and are trying to trade him (Rockets and Mavs are the rumored teams supposedly trying to get a trade done)

This definitely sounds like a fuck you to Washington, as they've apparently set the price of Brad Beal as Justise and Bam, while taking Wall's contract in addition. 

And much like Butler, I'm sure Pat is willing to just wait a year and take Beal then. 

I can't imagine anyone taking on Wall's contract for Beal.

I mean, Bradley Beal is good, but he's not good enough that it's worth taking on supremax deal for someone that it seems highly likely will never be nearly worth it.

Like, we were talking about Durant being probably the player best suited to adjusting to a serious loss of athleticism from a torn Achilles. Wall is better the top of the list for guys worst for it. His whole game was built around his overwhelming athleticism. Unless Wall makes a miraculous recovery or suddenly completely reworks his game headed towards his 30th birthday, he's likely never going to be a plus rotation piece again.

There are maybe five guys in the NBA I'd say would be worth trading for with Wall's full five year deal attached alongside. Bradley Beal damn sure ain't one of them.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:54 AM, Lawful Metal said:

They could do a “legal tampering” week where a player could meet with other teams, here all the pitches, but can only sign the next week. Then the priority would be to get the last meeting.

too simple?

Honestly, if you're doing that, I'd prefer the opposite: 

The Porter/McDaniels Memorial Rule:

If there's conclusive proof a player agreed to terms before July 1, then the old team can ask for compensation for the player. (This can also include "we'll trade you this person you agreed to terms for in exchange for the one we did.")

• Like 1

I mean, do we know John Wall will be terrible on his return? He does rely on explosiveness to get to the basket and guys generally/rarely come back like their old selves after Achilles injuries but he was so good in his last full season. He'll likely be pretty good, just nowhere near his contract value but the NBA is full of guys nowhere near their contract value since the cap inflated ridiculously three or four years ago. It'll be the 'zards gamble though.

Other than maybe Westbrook, I can't think of a single player less likely to be useful after an Achilles tear than Wall. 

John Wall at, say, 75% the speed, quickness, and vertical is, at best, a mediocre rotation player. He's a career 32% three point shooter. He's a good passer, but most of his assists come from blowing by someone, drawing help, and whipping a pass to the now open teammate. Hard to do that when you don't blow by people. And he was never a great defender, but it's hard to see him being even a credible one going forward.

But even if he beats the odds and recovers better than expected, to say 85-90% physically, and becomes a really good player again. That contract starts at 38 million this year. Year 4 is a player player option for $47 million dollars. 

If Washington won't trade Beal without including Wall, Washington won't be trading Beal.