DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Offseason Thread

Dolfan in NYC

By the way,  $15M for Danny Green was an "oh shit...  fuck... what do we do..   Uhh..  here! take out money!!"  

I like Danny Green but they need to fill out a whole roster here and like everyone is gone.  Very calculating by Kawhi if that was the intention.  

• Sad 1

There is also a salary floor they have to meet (although I think the NBA penalty for not making the floor is just distributing the difference to the players on the team equally)

I can't believe the Clippers added Kawhi and PG without giving up any of their young guys.  Good luck scoring on Beverley/Shamet/Kawhi/PG/Harrell

Jesus the west is going to be insane next year.

• Like 1

Just now, Zimbra said:

I can't believe the Clippers added Kawhi and PG without giving up any of their young guys.  Good luck scoring on Beverley/Shamet/Kawhi/PG/Harrell

Jesus the west is going to be insane next year.

They gave up an all-rookie point guard...

Edited by Brian Fowler

That is quite a haul for the Thunder. Made the Clippers pay since they were basically trading for George and Kawhi. SGA has all star potential. Gallo will probably get hurt on the flight over. I'd be happy with the move I suppose if I were a Thunder fan. Their status as a likely first round exit doesn't really change. They have limited options for moving Westbrook due to the contract and his decline. So blowing it up completely probably isn't realistic. They have the right GM to get value out of the later first round picks. If one of those unprotected picks are 6 years from it could have real value. 

East got a bit easier. 

Sixers are owed the Thunders pick this year which is top 20 protected. Odds of getting that pick declined. 

I'm curious to see what years the unprotected picks are, the protected pick is, and the swaps are. If they have an unprotected or two far enough into the future, that could be a real great haul.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Can you imagine an all Staples Center Western Conference Finals?

I don't see it. Unless LeBron and AD get a ton of depth from the 17 million they have left, they won't be able to manage the minutes like they need. AD is fragile and LeBron is one year older. I think the team is worn out by the time the playoffs come around. 

Edit: I don't know if they actually have 17 million. I just subtracted Danny Green's 15 from 32. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goodhelmet said:

I don't see it. Unless LeBron and AD get a ton of depth from the 17 million they have left, they won't be able to manage the minutes like they need. AD is fragile and LeBron is one year older. I think the team is worn out by the time the playoffs come around. 

I certainly wouldn't, right now, bet on it. I'm not saying it's the most likely outcome or anything of that sort.

I'm saying can you imagine the media storm around it.

(I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Lakers load manage all year, get the 5th seed and then try to turn it up in the post-season though. And I do think, age aside, the NBA should be at least slightly concerned about LeBron having his first full off-season in years.)

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Goodnight Raptors, too. Get whatever you can for Lowry, Ibaka, and Gasol.

We will sleep well with our NBA Championship, thank you very much!

And I'm so thankful for the one year of Kawhi. One helluva ride for our city and country.

• Like 3

Here's my problem with your scenario. The West will be such a bloodbath that homecourt will be necessary.  With no depth, Lakers won't be able to afford a night off. AD has only played more than 70 games once in his entire career. LeBron doesn't have the Heatles this time around and playing in the weak East.  

@Brian Fowler

• Like 1

Cap space is gone now.  They just signed KCP to 2 years $16M and Javale McGee for 2 years $8 million.   So that's $27M used up on those 3 guys.   I guess they have about $5M left plus whatever they have for an MLE.  They still need a point guard.  

But wow..  $27M that would have been spent on Kawhi for those three lol.  

Also,  I heard a lot of people earlier in the week saying OKC was not going to want to pay a repeater tax.  It makes sense,  small market and their ceiling was what the 2nd round?   But most people felt it would be Steven Adams as the first to exit.  I could still see Adams getting moved.   Russ is a tough one he is owed a lot of damn money.  

KCP played pretty well for the Lakers in '17, but his 3% dropped a lot last year.

He's shown flashes of being an elite defender at times, but it never seems to stick.

I still think the Pistons trading Morris for Avery Bradley and rescinding the qualifying offer on KCP was dumb,

Clippers don't really have a center, but otherwise they have two MVP candidate level forwards, two solid if not great starting guards, the sixth man of the year AND the guy that finished third, they just traded for someone that started 53 games for the Blazers, and signed someone that started 45 for Miami.

They are deep, with stars to carry the load. I think they just took the off-season crown from Utah and New Orleans.

Also, I guess Toronto could go the other way, hold on to Lowry, Gasol and Ibaka, try to contend in the East, with an eye on having $60+ million in cap room next summer.