DVDVR Message Board

2019 NBA Offseason Thread

Dolfan in NYC

The Oklahoma City Thunder are trading forward Jerami Grant to the Denver Nuggets for a 2020 first-round pick -- a deal that saves the Thunder $39 million in salary and tax and stockpiles their sixth future first-round pick in recent days -- league sources told ESPN.

Sam Presti with lots of draft picks is a scary thought for the rest of the league.

Other than maybe San Antonio and lately Toronto, nobody has been as good as him at turning mid and late first round picks into quality players.

I would not want to be on the hook for that player option in 22-23.

I mean, if Russ can get his 3p% and FT% back up a little bit, he's still a singular force, but he's going to be 31, not a great shooter, and a freak athlete already showing the first signs of decline. His 2022-23 season at $47 million is not looking pretty

Edited by Brian Fowler

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Westbrook and Butler would be enough for top 4-5 in the East but the ceiling isn't high.  Also, what would they give up.  Assume Dragic's expiring but they already traded a lot of picks.

Presumably, Dragic, Bam and Herro as a starting point.

I want Miami to get it done before Detroit gets stupid.

There was an ESPN article yesterday talking about how it's a long-shot for the Rockets to do it but they are on the fringes. GET IT DONE, MOREY!

They'd need a third team to take on CP3's contract I imagine.

edit: Let's all will this to be, guys!

Edited by Oyaji

46 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

There was an ESPN article yesterday talking about how it's a long-shot for the Rockets to do it but they are on the fringes. GET IT DONE, MOREY!

They'd need a third team to take on CP3's contract I imagine.

edit: Let's all will this to be, guys!

Jesus Christ stop.  For the love of God stop.  No.  No.  No.  Dear God No!!!!!

Westbrook's lack of outside shooting, and seeming allergy to moving without the ball, definitely would make him a great fit in Houston. But no need to move CP3. Let's build a package around Capela and Gordon instead.

• Haha 2

A lot of people, myself included, forgot about Lonnie Walker but man is his shot (particularly his midrange) beautiful. Spurs gonna slide into that 7th or 8th spot due to outstanding depth. Those commercials on the NBA's YouTube page gonna kill me tho. House of Highlights all day. 

Charlotte gonna be real bad this year. Chinese national team got smacked around by Miami (41 point loss) this week and yet beat Charlotte by 4 points. Bonus points for the ankle breaker. 

https://streamable.com/n61ev

Edited by Oyaji

Can anyone even begin to explain the Hornets making no apparent effort to trade Kemba ahead of the deadline, when it turns out they weren't even willing to offer him the normal max much less a supermax?

I mean, did they honestly think they could keep him for under the max?

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Can anyone even begin to explain the Hornets making no apparent effort to trade Kemba ahead of the deadline, when it turns out they weren't even willing to offer him the normal max much less a supermax?

I mean, did they honestly think they could keep him for under the max?

I'm not sure there's an explanation beyond "The Hornets are absolutely terrible at being a basketball team.

22 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Westbrook and Butler would be enough for top 4-5 in the East but the ceiling isn't high.  Also, what would they give up.  Assume Dragic's expiring but they already traded a lot of picks.

I don't think they'll get anything actually useful for Westbrook besides some bad contracts that are smaller/shorter then Russ' and maybe tweaking the protections on Miami's 2023 first that they own.

Russ update - 

Miami's interest has moved beyond the "exploratory phase" and Cleveland has been named as a third team to potentially get the deal done.  OKC wants "salary relief" which certainly helps the Heat's cause.  Also of note, #13 pick Tyler Herro has not signed his rookie deal yet, which allegedly means he's going to be a big part of the deal.  

Other teams working on acquiring Westbrook: Houston, Detroit, Minnesota, and New York (Manhattan).

I'm gonna just nervously sit over here banning anyone who breathes wrong while I light candles and pray that Pat somehow gets this done without trading away Justise or Bam...

The Knicks would be the most hilarious destination to me. Westbrook goes to the Knicks only for that team to still completely stink. I could see him being Melo 2.0 for that team.

Sorry to any Knicks fans. It's the one enjoyment I have (other than seeing Toronto topple GS) with the NBA since who knows when the Bulls will be good again.

• Like 1

He wants that super max he'll be eligible for then. Three years in the NBA is an eternity but unless this is a train wreck I imagine he finishes his career with the Clippers.