DVDVR Message Board

REBOOTED Feb 2017 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Personally, I think this is a WWE problem, not a WWE women problem.  I feel like there's more male wrestlers in the WWE overrated by fans simply because they're in the WWE.  It's a big world and there's an awful lot of wrestlers out there who aren't in the WWE system.  There are dozens - at least - of luchadores, Japanese wrestlers, women, indys guys, Brits and Europeans, etc. that I would rank ahead of almost every WWE midcarder,   My personal top 100 for 2016 would probably have six or eight of the usual suspects from the WWE ranked fairly high, and a couple midcarders like Dean Ambrose who might sneak in 90-100, but probably not.  Hell, there are a couple guys in Fight Club Finland I'd probably put ahead of Ambrose.

I don't think anyone in the WWE is actively terrible.  The 'E is pretty good at recognizing talent (not always the best at maximizing talent, but that's another discussion).  You don't get signed, survive through developmental, and make a name for yourself on the main roster unless you're at least decent and have a reasonably well-rounded skill set.  But I do feel like the WWE system produces a lot of guys closer to average than exceptional, then works overtime to convince fans that those same guys are exceptional and no one in the system is average.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion.  I'm not a "My fake fighting is better than your fake fighting guy" so it's entirely possible I'm underrating WWE wrestlers.  In some cases, that almost certainly is true.  Bray Wyatt would probably not make my personal top 300 or so active guys, but he's fairly over and decent in the ring, so obviously mileage varies a lot in his case.

I hear you. I would counter by saying that working in the WWE requires a skill set that is pretty unique in the world. The reality is that while the in ring is important, its only a part of the requirement. What gets somebody over in the indys may not translate a t all.

And I am not denigrating your list at all. I am also one that isn't into the "I like this type of performance art so mine is better than yours" argument either.

Edited by joseph2112
Stupid keyboard buttons

i can't believe how little talk there is of March Madness. we're only like a week away!

should be a damn interesting year, with the CWC and WWEUK tournaments. plus the infamous six star match. so much exposure for these guys.

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

i can't believe how little talk there is of March Madness. we're only like a week away!

should be a damn interesting year, with the CWC and WWEUK tournaments. plus the infamous six star match. so much exposure for these guys.

The discussion is heating up in the "Tournament Time" folder.  Go vote on WWE nominations

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roman said:

Are there any wrestlers on the indies who look like absolute monsters (e.g. Brock Lesnar, Goldberg)? I've watched very little indie wrestling so I might be missing some very obvious names. 

Brian Cage is the first name that came to mind. He does some pretty innovative big man spots. 

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

@Victator Dude, I'm on here quite a bit dating back a number of years now and all I remember about the AJ Lee run is some folks saying she had a great character or played her character well and maybe a few who thought she could bump well, which she could.  The Bellas stuff was at best a "hey, the Bellas aren't horrible now!".  

I don't think anyone was placing them as good wrestlers and nobody was pimping their matches.  Dating back to '06 or so there was the occasional Melina or Beth Phoenix or Mickie James match that some would say was decent but this was also the same time period where others were saying the division should be abolished lol.  

To me the biggest knock on AJ is that she was just too small to be credible- it's the same problem Alexa has today a bit.   AJ was a trained wrestler, and wasn't bad at all outside of size.   If she was around today- I could easily see her being as over as a sympathetic face underdog. or Sasha's little buddy talking about gaming stuff before Sasha backstabs her then they go out and have a great gimmick match.

AJ vs Charlotte would have some of the same issues Rey vs Kevin Nash did. 

14 hours ago, Victator said:

Is there a reason WWE has not looked at Kongo Kong? He is huge and can work. I mean his weight can't be an issue, they push Owens. 

A short term answer is that he is signed with TNA (which is somewhat of a product of working for Jarrett in his gold money fed)

Longer term answer - *shrug*

11 hours ago, twiztor said:

I'm old.  There's only so much hatin' I can do in a 30-day period.  If I start getting worked up now, I'll have nothing left by the time the semifinals roll around.

Also, I think Kongo King is great, but his breasts may be larger than Steph's implants.  I don't see him getting signed and put on tv, even in the Kevin Owens era.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Heel Trump Supporter in Alabama? 

The promoter of Wrestle Birmingham is a nice Jewish woman. And she figured by putting Trump's Nephew up against a legend like Jimmy Golden,that the Nephew would be heel. As yall can see the match was nothing. And the show didn't draw for crap. But hey I got to meet Robert and Ron Fuller,Jimmy Golden and a bunch of others for the first time. Got to talk to Action Mike Jackson for a bit pre-show. Then had Tracy smothers come out and sit at the commentary table for a match. So great show to me. But money wise I am sure it lost a bunch of money.

22 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Heel Trump Supporter in Alabama? 

If you can't figure out how to heel a crowd in Alabama as the relative of a New York billionaire, you have no business being a professional wrestler. 

• Like 5

And what have Enzo and Cass beat Anderson and Gallows at Fastlane, winning the titles and then go on to successfully defend them at Mania?

In all likelihood, Enzo and Cass beat Shaemus and Cesaro tonight go on to face The Club at Fastlane, Sheamus and Cesaro interfere match is a declared a no contest. At Mania its Club vs Enzo and Cass vs Ceasero and Shaemus. Enzo and Cass win getting their "Wrestlemania moment".