DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - SEPTEMBER

Dolfan in NYC

21 hours ago, piranesi said:

You think you can out-anti-jinx me??????

Mets have the Phillies like nine times.  That's a guaranteed 8-1 right there. It's a long flight from N.Y. to S.F. but BOOK IT now babeeee!

You realize the pain the Phillies and Marlins have taken glee to inflict upon us? We are beyond fucked.

Just reading how he spent time in a Cuban jail trying to gain his freedom made me tear up. The only sliver of non sadness I can come up with is that Jose Fernandez died a free man, and his kid and wife are free because of his bravery.

I thought this was some sort of nightmare but it's worse. Dreadful thing for José's family, the Miami baseball community, baseball as a whole but particularly his girlfriend and their unborn child. I'm getting teared up thinking about it.

Had a thought: since Marlins Stadium has no sponsor and probably never will how about naming the stadium in his honor? Would be fitting as I believe he never lost a start there.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Had a thought: since Marlins Stadium has no sponsor and probably never will how about naming the stadium in his honor? Would be fitting as I believe he never lost a start there.

He was 29-2 at home.  2 losses came this season. 

1f5c1f1c-4a13-4270-8e9b-415728bd9be8.jpg

At Marlins Ballpark, they've painted a 16 on the mound and have left his cap there. 

37 minutes ago, sabremike said:

That'd obviously be an awesome gesture; however, there would inevitably be some year/decade in the future (under different ownership) where there would be the opportunity for naming rights, and I can't imagine the anger/controversy if they did a renaming of it then. Best not to ever go there.

I was born in 1980, so I never got to see Thurman Munson play, but being a Yankees fan, I'm well aware of what Thurman meant to the Yankees and the impact his death had. I have to imagine this is what the aftermath of his passing felt like. I was a fan of Jose Fernandez because I appreciated the great talent and had hoped he would end up with the Yankees one day. Marcus Stroman of Toronto said he felt sick to his stomach. That sums up how I feel really well. 

7 hours ago, Hamhock said:

That'd obviously be an awesome gesture; however, there would inevitably be some year/decade in the future (under different ownership) where there would be the opportunity for naming rights, and I can't imagine the anger/controversy if they did a renaming of it then. Best not to ever go there.

Why not name the field for him? That way it should never be an issue and you still have Jose Fernandez Memorial Field at Blue Bunny Park down the line. 

• Like 4