DVDVR Message Board

Gonzo

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

Tim Couch is a legend of some sort. If you pretend he played for a shitty team in the 70's, his stats look great. He wasn't hideously awful, just mediocre, if he had been a much later pick. Going #1 and putting up numbers like that over 5 miserable seasons lowers it to horrible.

Pass attempts:1,714

Pass completions:1,025

Percentage:59.8

TD–INT:64–67

Passing yards:11,131

Passer rating:75.1

Numbers far worse than that made Archie Manning a legend in New Orleans...

*Every* quarterback from before THE CLASS~ has shitty stats (by today's standards).    

People really forget what revolutionary athletes  Montana, Marino, Kelly, etc. were.  Before them, the league being "run first" didn't even begin to cover it.  It was run first, second, and third.  The idea that a quarterback needed to gun the football down the field just didn't exist back then.   The stats absolutely reflect that.   Hall of Famer Bob Griese never passed for over 2200 yards.   Roger Staubach only passed over 3000 yards twice in his career. Joe Namath cracked 4000 only once and never came within 800 yards of that after.  

• Like 1

I like how three of the Air Raid failures that EVA listed are Browns first round draft picks. 

Couch got a bad rap. He had a pretty decent season the year he got them to the playoffs, broke his leg and was never the same. Butch Davis wasn't interested in getting him back on the field, and he had an offensive line that was so bad it seemed like any pass play could result in the death of Tim Couch. That 2002 season, he was actively pretty fun to watch, and if he had stayed healthy, I think he could have developed in to a pretty decent starter. I would say the same thing for Courtney Brown as well, who was an absolute monster for the 35 snaps he would play a year before some part of his body would explode. 

9 hours ago, Ryan said:

*pelts you in the eye with a bag full of pellets*

RIP, the other Brown's, um, Brown that actually happened to.

Along those lines, all the Browns have to do to win a Super Bowl is move to Baltimore. . . . :)

Call me crazy, but that seems like a massive win for Cleveland.   They can still get a Paxton Lynch in Round 2, and they can get a Ronnie Stanley or Tunsil at #8 overall so they can protect RG III and/or whoever they pick. 

Plus they get what's almost assured to be a Top 10 pick next year too. 

If the Chargers deal #3 (and they have had some talks per the interweb) it will be the 4th time the top 3 picks in the draft were traded.

The most recent was 1997

The rookie cap is the best thing ever (for us) because picks are so damn tradeable. I was watching the 1995 draft on one of those tube sites and totally forgot how much hand-wringing there was over the first 10 picks because you had to pay them more than the league MVP.

Anyway, I think this move was great for the Browns. Running with Bob this year while still getting a second tier QB in the 2nd (Lynch or Hackenberg) to sit and learn under no pressure seems like an ideal scenario. Of course, if Goff and Wentz turn out to be the another 1-2 punch on the level of Eli & Ben it's going to look like a colossal blunder even if they use all those picks wisely.

I honestly think that almost very time the team trading down in the first round gets the better deal (if not every time). To go down only six picks and get an additional first, second, and third (assuming the fourths cancel each other out value-wise) will always seem crazy to me and something I'd do as a GM in a heartbeat.

That is a batshit crazy move by the Eagles. They have too many gaps to fill to be giving all of that up. It makes things interesting for the Cowboys if Tunsil makes it to them. If they don't want to deal with another big OL contract down the line, they can use him a bargaining chip to trade down and maybe get EE in the process. I like it.