DVDVR Message Board

Gonzo

This is a trade a team makes when they're one player away.

The Rams are, definitively, not one player away.

But hey, this means we're two weeks away from a kid from North Dakota State University going #1 overall in the NFL Draft. This pleases me.

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

But hey, this means we're two weeks away from a kid from North Dakota State University going #1 overall in the NFL Draft. This pleases me.

It's a trade tog win over fans in there new market, and has little to do with actually winning. They want the team nice and Sexy for the LA market.

Basically, this move, to me, has Kroenke's fingers ALL over it.

14 hours ago, Gonzo said:

ESPN among others say Jared Goff is their guy.

I do love the speculation that the Rams don't know who they want now that they're at #1.

You don't make a trade like this if you don't know exactly who you're doing it for. Everything on the Goff/Wentz front is media speculation. The Rams know which of those guys they want already.

well to be fair - you also want to keep the other teams guessing in the hopes that one of the other QB needy teams panics and offers you a stupid draft package too.

I mean the Browns are right there and they are not being run by Kevin Costner

• Like 1

I can't wait for the Browns to take the shittier QB with the number two pick in what is charitably described as a week QB class. 

They're going to field one of the most talentless teams in history. Just draft best available this year and get the kid from Clemson next year. 

8 minutes ago, JRGoldman said:

I can't wait for the Browns to take the shittier QB with the number two pick in what is charitably described as a week QB class. 

They're going to field one of the most talentless teams in history. Just draft best available this year and get the kid from Clemson next year. 

That's why if I was the Browns I wouldn't take the second QB. Id take one of the other top players and give RG3 a year. At best case your back at the top of the draft next year and can argumentatively get a better QB. At worst case RG3 figures it out and you don't have to worry for another couple years

14 hours ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

ESPN among others say Jared Goff is their guy.

Lol.  Quick, somebody name the last QB to come out of an Air Raid system that was any good at all in the NFL, let alone a #1-pick worthy star.

I'm racking my brain, and the best case scenario I've come up with is Case Keenum.

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Didn't Kevin Kolb come from an Air Raid system...

Not that it hurts your argument, but he did have that one good season.

Concussions and the resurgence of Mike Vick did his career in.

Kolb played at Houston under Art Briles, who is not an Air Raid guy even though he sometimes get lumped in with them because he spent time on Leach's staff at Texas Tech.

You're basically looking for QBs who played under Hal Mumme, Mike Leach, Kevin Sumlin, Tony Franklin, Sonny Dykes, Dana Holgerson, Kliff Kingsbury (also a failed Air Raid pro QB!), a few others.

So luminaries like Tim Couch, Johnny Football, Brandon Weeden, Geno Smith...

Tim Couch is a legend of some sort. If you pretend he played for a shitty team in the 70's, his stats look great. He wasn't hideously awful, just mediocre, if he had been a much later pick. Going #1 and putting up numbers like that over 5 miserable seasons lowers it to horrible.

Pass attempts:1,714

Pass completions:1,025

Percentage:59.8

TD–INT:64–67

Passing yards:11,131

Passer rating:75.1

With him and David Carr you almost have to give a pass. I'm not sure anyone would have been a success with those shitshow franchises. Not that they would have been hall of famers, but they could have been decent. . .