DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 1-18-16

MGFanJay

The MLK video package where it said the "I have a dream" speech inspired many others then showed a bunch of people who lived/made their most notable civil rights contributions well before the dream speech was kind of head-scratching. And, oh yeah, it can't be said enough: LOL @ Neville as the centerpiece of the MLK day tribute team.

Anyway, onto other stuff.

The opening Jericho promo was so bad. Like I said in another thread, I give him a pass on tv for his podcast work, but it feels like he's trying to push the limits of my good will. Rusev's part in this was very good, however, and "Nice dinner jacket, did you eat the shirt?" was a rare well-written line that was ruined by atrocious delivery. I don't know why they keep putting Barrett on tv if he can't do anything physical and they won't let him cut promos. His uselessness sticks out like a sore thumb in every LON segment.

Those Total Diva alternate reality matches are always so weird.

Becky seems to have found some hidden promo talent in the last couple of weeks. She's not The Rock or anything, but she seems noticeably more comfortable compared to her really awkward stuff after she just got called up.

The "Roman gets #1" segment was awful. At least Steph was aware enough to start ripping on it halfway through. The segment largely didn't work because, like many other segments in this angle, not enough people care about Roman as a top face. Rigged drawing, yawn.

I want to hear a Raw announced by Kevin Owens and Titus O'Neil.

The main event promo was so flat despite the swerves. Jericho trying to be pushed as a threat is laughable. Roman's first spear on Brock was hot, but then they did what they always do with Roman after he has a brief moment of looking special: Make him look like a loser and then wonder why he isn't over as much as they'd like. The only redeeming quality was that there appeared to be a glimmer of hope for Brock/Harper at some point.

I thought the end segment was pretty great.

Well of fucking course you did.

Come on.  People are allowed to have different opinions and express them, or no?

FWIW, I don't think it was a great show, or even a good show.  But I don't think it was garbage, either.

Point to where I said he isn't allowed to have a different opinion or express it.

Resident contrarian known for being notoriously contrary with a penchant for moving goalposts (intentional or not) lived up to his reputation. Balls were busted as a result.

My point is that you don't have to rail against someone every time they say something you don't like.  That alone at least lends some belief that you rather he keep quiet. You think Gregg's opinions are suspect.  So? 95% of the opinions on this board are suspect in some way.  We can't and shouldn't mollywop each over it so much.  It just takes away from the fun, IMO.

• Like 3

They won't turn The Wyatt's face simply because it would be another Daniel Bryan situation and it would ruin their plans for Roman. You suddenly have Bray A Mania running wild and people wanting him in the main event at Wrestlemania (just theorizing here) and Vince's dream of Triple H vs. Roman is ruined.

DAMN IT YOU PEOPLE RUINED ORTON VS. BATISTA. YOU WILL NOT RUIN TRIPLE H VS ROMAN.

• Like 1

My point is that you don't have to rail against someone every time they say something you don't like.  That alone at least lends some belief that you rather he keep quiet. You think Gregg's opinions are suspect.  So? 95% of the opinions on this board are suspect in some way.  We can't and shouldn't mollywop each over it so much.  It just takes away from the fun, IMO.

Ok. You're right, that is your opinion. The fact still remains that I never said I didn't like anything he said, I didn't say his opinions are suspect and I certainly could not care less about how loud or quiet he is. He got his chops busted because he remained the contrarian and I pointed out the inaccuracy of something he said in response. Next time I'll put a smiley face in the comment just to make sure jimmies aren't rustled.

• Like 2

I'm okay with ruining Batista vs Orton, as they didn't have good matches even years before. But I will not stand for them ruining Roman vs Boss Level HHH. That match should be excellent and if whiny fans ruin it for ANY REASON, Imma be heated.

They won't turn The Wyatt's face simply because it would be another Daniel Bryan situation and it would ruin their plans for Roman. You suddenly have Bray A Mania running wild and people wanting him in the main event at Wrestlemania

This sentence - assuming it's even partially correct - really drives home how out of touch I am with the current WWE product.  The only thing I personally want from Bray is him on my tv a lot less.

• Like 1

I'm okay with ruining Batista vs Orton, as they didn't have good matches even years before. But I will not stand for them ruining Roman vs Boss Level HHH. That match should be excellent and if whiny fans ruin it for ANY REASON, Imma be heated.

Agreed Hunter vs. Roman or Brock vs. Roman are totally ok in my book.

They won't turn The Wyatt's face simply because it would be another Daniel Bryan situation and it would ruin their plans for Roman. You suddenly have Bray A Mania running wild and people wanting him in the main event at Wrestlemania

This sentence - assuming it's even partially correct - really drives home how out of touch I am with the current WWE product.  The only thing I personally want from Bray is him on my tv a lot less.

It was just a wild theory on my part. Honestly you could throw in couple of people and it would work if you turned them from heel to face. Owens for example might get that off the charts pop if he suddenly went against the authority.

After last night I want Brock vs. Luke Harper. Bray is a perfect Kevin Sullivan manager. But we can't have managers. Too southern blah blah blah.

Ya know post-Wrestlemania, I'd like to see Harper break away from the Wyatt Family and be hunted by them. You could book a year long program where Bray just sends hoss after hoss after Harper until finally Harper gets his hands on Bray

I've watched enough Bray Wyatt to think he just needs an opportunity where he is given an actual purpose. He's had some really good matches when allowed to be what he should be. The biggest problem with the Wyatts is they've done so much to kill them off as a legitimate scary act. This is the group that divided and conquered the best trio team in the companies history. His matches with Cena were actually pretty good when they just actually wrestled. It's easy to keep Wyatt as a major threat: Just treat him like one.

• Like 4

I agree with this.  Those two need to throw down and anything less than all of us crying for more is UNACCEPTABLE.

HHH vs Roman and Brock vs someone who hasn't been annihilated by 50/50 booking and shitty Raws for the title (a resurgent Bray, a renegade Harper, an insurgent AJ Styles, Finn and the Bullet Club, fucking Samoa Joe for all the sense at makes I don't care I would absolutely pay to see that.)

Seriously, there is WAY too much talent in WWE right now for the main roster and the main event angle in particular to be such a clusterfuck.

• Like 3

I for one am also shocked that Gregg loved the ending of a show where his favorite stable in all the land beat up the two biggest stars in the company.

If he can't be happy about that, what can he be happy about you Negative Nellies?

• Like 1

What if the crowd is 79% behind Trips? 

Still down for it. That match should be great. I don't care who the crowd is cheering for, as long as it isn't for a third party that ruins shit and forces them to change plans. It worked out for 30, but switching it up last second at 31 was led to an awful 8 months. 

These fucks will not take Roman vs Shao Terminator HHH away from me.

Still down for it. That match should be great. I don't care who the crowd is cheering for, as long as it isn't for a third party that ruins shit and forces them to change plans. It worked out for 30, but switching it up last second at 31 was led to an awful 8 months. 

What about a three way with Brock? Because right now I feel like these are the only options. 

What about a three way with Brock? Because right now I feel like these are the only options. 

No. Roman vs HHH or bust. Let Brock beat up a stable or something. 

"And we had all these older guys coming in, taking the main event spotlight. Guys like Hogan Hunter, Luger Batista and Savage Jericho. They'd come in and they'd just humiliate and crush whoever they faced and there was no way to get over like that.

I said to Eric Vince one day backstage; Can I do a promo?

He said; Sure, just keep it under 2 minutes.

So we went out there and just did whatever the hell we wanted. And it worked. I was supposed to be the smiling, happy, high-flying babyface and instead we became the coolest guys on the show. And we got over, in spite of all the old guys taking that main event shine and in spite of all the terrible booking."

- Austin Watson on his time in WWE.

I just want to go back to this bolded part, because the idea that Jericho has humiliated/crushed anyone in any of his recent comebacks is pretty silly. He's dropped falls to Punk, Wyatt, Owens, Curtis Axel, Fandango, Ryback, Orton, Van Dam, del Rio, Ziggler, Swagger, the Shield... If anything, he's been their go-to "put someone over" guy to the point that it's really had diminishing returns.

Rock and Brock fit the bill better than Jericho.

• Like 1

As predictable as it is, Roman vs Trips would probably be a bad ass match, especially at Mania. The fact that they have literally zero other money matches in the works right now is the real problem.

And they've been building it since right before Shield broke up. And then doubled back on it around NOC. It's literally the only thing that has been built at all before January.

The only thing that seemed dumb to me about the Jericho thing is that it makes Reigns looks like he needs an adult to show up to help him talk to the bullies.  Kind of like sending Rock out there to play camp counselor Bill Murray when all those mean kids were booing Chris MakepeacefuckI'mSoOld.

Why can't they just figure out what type and how many words this guy needs to say to sound tough on his own and not be too much of a dick about it?

Resident contrarian known for being notoriously contrary with a penchant for moving goalposts (intentional or not) lived up to his reputation. Balls were busted as a result.

Wait, Greg is the resident pollyanna. I'm pretty sure stro is the resident contrarian.