DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Fall 2015

Pete

Fucking hell, Shaw! :(

That looked nasty.

Double leg fracture. Yikes.

Why wasn't that a straight red? 

Clean tackle.  Got the ball first, leg break afterwards was a freak accident.  He wasn't going after the legs studs up, shit happens.  I say this as a United fan, the injury wasn't as a result of an intentional horror tackle, just the living definition of shit happens.

• Like 1

Fucking hell, Shaw! :(

That looked nasty.

Double leg fracture. Yikes.

Why wasn't that a straight red?

Clean tackle. Got the ball first, leg break afterwards was a freak accident. He wasn't going after the legs studs up, shit happens. I say this as a United fan, the injury wasn't as a result of an intentional horror tackle, just the living definition of shit happens.
Agreed. I just want to say that as a Bloom County mark your avatar is the greatest thing ever!

Those Bavarian-holiday-themed dresses are just really awful to me. Although I have to admit, as a Northerner I simply find "Lederhosen" and all the stuff attached to the "Oktoberfest" Grade-A embarassing and I can hardly forgive the Bavarians for basically making this the No.1-Non-Nazi-related-Association everyone has with Germany.

Hope Luke Shaw gets well as soon as possible. Horrible injury. Back in my youth days playing, a player on our team got his shin broken in three places in a friendly. Took him out for an eternity, but he got his health back eventually. Still, only thinking about the sound the tackle made gives be goosebumps. Poor Luke Shaw.

Biggest surprise so far has to be Ter Stegen conceeding from around 50 meters out in the Roma vs Barca match. Considering he wanted to get the GK spot that year at Barca and cut his time off short for that reason, the season hasn´t started out particularly well for him.

20 bucks? BeIN is only 15 bucks on my crappy carrier, and after I ditched a bunch of crappy stations last week, I added it. La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, England Championship Division along with World Cup qualifiers. So far, I am loving the station. Sportsnet World and their 19 bucks a month to see Bundesliga, the worst Premier League games of the week, the FA Cup and SPL can suck it! :)

Guys, if you've never prayed for a sports-related thing...maybe consider dropping a little "please" toward the heavens tonight for Arsene, since nothing NOTHING would be a more perfect continuation of Mourinho's trail of humiliation than losing to Wenger.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssssasseeeeeee!?!?!?!??!

• Like 1

I didn´t really see if that sent-off for Gabriel Paulista was bad refereeing or immense player-stupidity. I mean, there is always stupidity involved in that kind of sent-off, but it´s not neccessarily immense!

EDIT: With nothing, NOTHING happening in the first half of Bundesliga matchday 5 (okay, Bayern scored, but that IS essentially nothing), I thought I´d share the story of how the Bundesliga-Association had a deal going initiated by German tabloid media "BILD" and shirt sleeve sponsor "Hermes". The plan was to exchange the usual logo with a sentence saying "Wir helfen - #refugeeswelcome" (first part translates to "we help"), which is the campaign of the newspaper. The funny (well, not really funny) side to it is that BILD has a past of dishing out headlines comparable to a softer version of FOX News bs, putting up fantasy numbers and blown out of proportion examples of refugees getting more than poor Germans etc. Basically, they are a right wing tabloid catering to an audience that isn´t really all that racist or anything, but still prefers their Bratwurst to Kebap without even trying the latter so to speak.

Well, one particular club out of the 2. Bundesliga named FC St. Pauli, which some of you may know because I occasionally talk about them and the great Celtic-supporter Mag7 drops a few references aswell, called bullshit on this campaign. The club and its players have a history of helping actively way before this crisis came to be just that. Lately, they even played a friendly at home against Borussia Dortmund with all the revenue going to charity organisations connected to the refugee topic.
The BILD chief editor however, had the great idea to call St. Pauli out for "having no heart for refugees" and basically said that right wing parties will love what the club did. The basic answer to that was a resounding negative shitstorm with people calling BILD out for their hypocrisy and bullshit. Numerous clubs from the 2. Bundesliga stopped their participation (Kaiserslautern, Bochum, Union Berlin, Freiburg, Duisburg, FC Nuremberg), while Munich 1860 decided to put some duct tape over the BILD-Logo while keeping the general message on their jersey. St. Pauli generally stated, that the whole campaign was voluntarily and pointed to the afromentioned help the club has offered up til today.

The tabloid however seems to have sabotaged the whole campaign quite a lot, because there has been a lot of harsh backlash. The fans of many clubs who are still participating have uttered protest and anger at their own clubs for that. The clubs feel pressured and try to state that the general idea and statement of the campaign are good. Which is true. But why not make a different, individual statement as a club? Or a statement as an association instead? Why is a "sponsor" needed, why a huge media tabloid, and at that, one with dubious credibility regarding that particular topic? Basically, only the clubs doing their own thing in that regard are real winners in that whole thing. The Bundesliga looks like they lack integrity as an association, BILD exposed themselves for what they actually are, a bunch of hypocrites. The individual clubs trying to justify why they stick with the whole deal have to question themselve why they don´t do anything on their own. It´s a total mess and, despite all the positive exceptions, shows how German football is headed into what I´d consider the wrong direction. 

• Like 1

It's just so predictable.  Not that Arsenal aren't going to do shit.  It's laughable that anyone thought they would do anything but come fourth.

But that they would not only hand Mourinho a win, but give him the satisfaction of it being the most Mourinho win it could possibly be.  He's so  fucking happy right now.  Which means the magical spell of this whole season is gone.

Thanks, guys!