DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Fall 2015

Pete

Malmo's feeling all great about themselves after taking out Celtic, and BAM, they get PSG and Real in the group stage.

"When we called Shakhtar's players 'Russians', it was taken out of context. Russian means something different in Swedish."

I really don´t know the context and the actual Swedish quote (quick search didn´t help)b but the word "rus" was used to describe Swedish vikings who travelled to Eastern europe and founded kingdoms which were core of what later went on to become Russia and Ukraine, so it might actually be a clever, historic related thing. As said before, don´t know anything about actual quotes though.

Malmö is probably going to be quite happy to welcome Zlatan back home. ;) I don´t think anyone in southern Sweden was realistically expecting to get any further than CL group stages.

Ah, ok. I just saw the chance to actually put my Nordic studies degree to use for once.

Don´t know, Swedish football seems to be trying to build a reputation of smack talk masters. Last year there was an elaborate media campaign calling Red Bull Salzburg "the world´s most disgusting side in the game". It wasn´t exactly Malmö, but a Swedish newspaper referring to football. Still a really weird thing to do and quite "un-Swedish", if you try and stereotype.

"Oh, this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Italy and that country's refusal to accept him... well, I guess that's more than most 25-year-olds can handle."

I don't get the quote but I guess I need to watch "Slap Shot" someday!

Yes, yes you do...

Ah, ok. I just saw the chance to actually put my Nordic studies degree to use for once.

Don´t know, Swedish football seems to be trying to build a reputation of smack talk masters. Last year there was an elaborate media campaign calling Red Bull Salzburg "the world´s most disgusting side in the game". It wasn´t exactly Malmö, but a Swedish newspaper referring to football. Still a really weird thing to do and quite "un-Swedish", if you try and stereotype.

I know Deila nearly got the Malmo job and didn't right before he went to Celtic so I wonder if there is bad blood there, but it was Malmo's coach that seemed to initiate a lot of it so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dortmund conceeded 5 over two legs against Odds BK. But scored 11 and should have scored somewhat close to 20 I´d assume. No real chance to evaluate the BVB´s quality as of right now, I´d say.
Standard Liege seemingly eliminated against Norwegian club Molde, Southhampton on the verge of elimination in Denmark against Midjylland (who have a really interesting "science-football" approach to the game). Red Bull managed to drag Minsk to extra time.

It´s kind of understandable how the media jumps upon all this, though, there are rough parallels and media are media after all. I have to admit I had to check out what moneyball actually is. Sorry, I´m a redneck German football fan afterall and I almost autmotically fall asleep everytime I see the word baseball ... zzzzzzzZZZZZZ

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/blackpool-fc/pool-latest/pool-shirt-sponsor-to-pull-out-of-club-deal-1-7430184

Meanwhile, everything is fine at Blackpool.

Everything is fine.

Please move along. Everything is fine.

Remember that time they were in the Premier League? Boy, that was a fun season...

So, the Men in Blazers are having a convention in NYC in November. Lots of big name guests, but tickets are $$$.

Yeah, I just checked the prices and they are steep. I like them, their show and their podcast and I'm sure a lot of people will go, but they really should reconsider that price tag.

I would speculate it is priced for the NYC futbol hipsters that live in the city. It is being held in Brooklyn, after all. :)

The funny thing is that its the same weekend as the big Doctor Who convention on Long Island.

That line wasn't an actual quote, it's a joke reference to Malmo's coach apparently calling Celtic "pigs" then trying to backtrack.

There was a lot of weird shit talking around that matchup for some reason.

I've researched this issue a little, and most sources seem to agree that in Sweden to say a team is playing like pigs is akin to the English referring to a team like the Delap/Pulis-era Stoke as "agricultural" or "bullish".

Legitimately surprised that Tottenham went out and got Heung-Min Son. Okay, he's not a defender which is probably the #1 need. But he's a really good player and I've enjoyed watching him in the Bundesliga. He's quick, he's pretty strong, he can use both feet, and he knows where the net is.

Legitimately surprised that Tottenham went out and got Heung-Min Son. Okay, he's not a defender which is probably the #1 need. But he's a really good player and I've enjoyed watching him in the Bundesliga. He's quick, he's pretty strong, he can use both feet, and he knows where the net is.

He's a fantastic player. He made a poor career choice though.

How are Tottenham a first seed and Liverpool a second seed? Is it wafer coefficient thing or is it purely down to last year's standings in the league?

The officiating crew are making a meal of this Newcastle/Arsenal game today. Straight red for Newcastle in the 16th minute, and Arsenal's goal comes off a play where the ball looked like it went out of bounds, and the refs missed it.

Will Diego Costa be benched after this game? He hasn't shown much threat so far this season and disappeared in the 2nd half today. He seems more interested in getting into a pushing match and Falcao scored their goal.