DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - Fall 2015

Pete

Looks like Malmö is the CL-Qualifiers nightmare comeback team to play.

With an astonishingly repetitive pattern over the last two years, to say the least:
They always messed up their first leg in EVERY ROUND they had to play (two consecutive home game 0-0 in their campaign openers / two two goal away-leg-losses in their third round match / two one goal away-losses salvaged by very last minute goals in the playoff).

Then they salvaged the matches in the second leg by: winning 1-0 in their away match; overcoming the two goal deficit at home in their third round match; then getting the job done at home with a solid result (not seen anything of the match, but this is what it looks like on paper ;)).Oh, and both seasons they eliminated Red Bull Salzburg, which is a nice bit of bonus trivia, winning their respective home games 3-0. 

Leverkusen have leveled the tie with Lazio. Fun game so far with the fascist pricks content to sit back, defend, and counter while Leverkusen are using Kießling as an effective target man.

This is from The Guardian's article about Balotelli's loan to Milan.

According to Gazzetta, Balotelli must not damage the image of the club and his Twitter, Facebook and Instagram posts will be closely monitored. He will be banned from extravagant haircuts and clothing, from smoking and from visiting night clubs and must turn up on time for training. His drinking will also be limited.

So, this is what it's come to.

Leverkusen have leveled the tie with Lazio. Fun game so far with the fascist pricks content to sit back, defend, and counter while Leverkusen are using Kießling as an effective target man.

This is from The Guardian's article about Balotelli's loan to Milan.

According to Gazzetta, Balotelli must not damage the image of the club and his Twitter, Facebook and Instagram posts will be closely monitored. He will be banned from extravagant haircuts and clothing, from smoking and from visiting night clubs and must turn up on time for training. His drinking will also be limited.

So, this is what it's come to.

What are the odds of Balo getting caught up in something stupid within 4 to 6 weeks?

DeBruyne apparently to ManCity for a rumoured sum of 80 million Euros. Not that they really needed it...

Nice, Leverkusen lead after a nicely worked Mehmedi goal.

80 million, man. That's so much fuckmoney. This is what I'm talking about with the big clubs. They can make mistakes and then go spend however much to make up for it. Otamendi for £31.5m and now DeBruyne for 80m Euros.

That first article is so amazing. The first part does EVERYTHING to loose any reader who knows some basic-Lazio. The second part tries its best to explain the actual problem, but just oozes of naivety and a ridiculous "but this was the past, guys!" narrative. And no, I don´t think EVERY Lazio-fan is a right winged lunatic.

Kiessling, despite not scoring, had an amazing game. I don´t think he lost any header, he bodied opponents left and right. Great performance. Too bad they will get crushed by Bayern coming Saturday.

• Like 1

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2015/08/27/14793902/balotelli-ive-played-like-a-boy-now-i-must-be-a-man?ICID=HP_HN_2

The 25-year-old has vowed to learn from his mistakes and make the most of his second chance at AC Milan after ending his Liverpool nightmare to secure a return to his homeland

Mario Balotelli has vowed to grow up and conduct himself "like a man" following his return to AC Milan.

The 25-year-old ended his Liverpool nightmare this week by securing a loan move back to San Siro after becoming persona non grata under Brendan Rodgers at Anfield.

And the Italy international says he must learn from his mistakes and grab his second chance with both hands as he looks to resurrect his career back in Serie A.

“I have played and lived as a boy,” he told Gazzetta Dello Sport.

“Now I will live and play as a man. I know that many do not believe in me, but I have a duty to try and to make sure I succeed.

“The past must be remembered to avoid making the same mistakes, but the future cannot be viewed through a rear view mirror. The time has come to turn a page and look forward.

“Things haven’t gone well. I have wasted several opportunities. But the game is not over... I still have a second chance."

After starting his career with city rivals Inter, Balotelli hit 26 goals in 43 league appearances for Milan following a 2013 switch from Manchester City.

However, he found the net just once in 16 Premier League outings for Liverpool last season and was forced to train alone during pre-season after Rodgers banished him from all first-team duties.

He is also yet to appear for his country since last year’s World Cup, but is hoping a return to form at Milan could keep his Euro 2016 dream alive.

“I have to do well with Milan in order regain the Italy shirt,” he said.

“But right now I just have to work hard and take it one step at a time. If I can get things together then maybe I can make it to France. 

“I want to play the European Championships and I will do everything to achieve that. To see me play for the national team was one of my father’s wishes before he died. I owe it to him.”

Glad to see Balo realizing he's been fucking around and stepping up and owning his mistakes, and hopefully now he's ready to work hard.  Go get em youngblood!

"Oh, this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Italy and that country's refusal to accept him... well, I guess that's more than most 25-year-olds can handle."

• Like 4

Champions League Group Stage

GROUP A                           GROUP B                     GROUP C                 GROUP D

Paris(FRA)                                   PSV(NED)                            Benfica(POR)                 Juventus(ITA)
Real Madrid(ESP)                     Man. United(ENG)              Atlético(ESP)                 Man. City(ENG)      
Shakhtar Donetsk(UKR)         CSKA Moskva(RUS)         Galatasaray(TUR)         Sevilla(ESP)
Malmö(SWE)                              Wolfsburg(GER)                  Astana(KAZ)                  Mönchengladbach(GER)

GROUP E                          GROUP F                       GROUP G                GROUP H
Barcelona(ESP)                       Bayern(GER)                          Chelsea(ENG)                Zenit(RUS)
Leverkusen(GER)                    Arsenal(ENG)                         Porto(POR)                     Valencia(ESP)
Roma(ITA)                                 Olympiacos(GRE)                 Dynamo Kyiv(UKR)      Lyon(FRA) 
BATE(BLR)                               Dinamo Zagreb(CRO)           M. Tel-Aviv(ISR)           Gent(BEL)

• Like 2

"Oh, this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Italy and that country's refusal to accept him... well, I guess that's more than most 25-year-olds can handle."

I don't get the quote but I guess I need to watch "Slap Shot" someday!

Champions League Group Stage

GROUP A                          GROUP B                      GROUP C                 GROUP D

Paris(FRA)                                   PSV(NED)                            Benfica(POR)                 Juventus(ITA)
Real Madrid(ESP)                     Man. United(ENG)              Atlético(ESP)                 Man. City(ENG)      
Shakhtar Donetsk(UKR)         CSKA Moskva(RUS)         Galatasaray(TUR)         Sevilla(ESP)
Malmö(SWE)                              Wolfsburg(GER)                  Astana(KAZ)                  Mönchengladbach(GER)

GROUP E                          GROUP F                       GROUP G                GROUP H
Barcelona(ESP)                       Bayern(GER)                          Chelsea(ENG)                Zenit(RUS)
Leverkusen(GER)                    Arsenal(ENG)                         Porto(POR)                     Valencia(ESP)
Roma(ITA)                                 Olympiacos(GRE)                 Dynamo Kyiv(UKR)      Lyon(FRA) 
BATE(BLR)                               Dinamo Zagreb(CRO)           M. Tel-Aviv(ISR)           Gent(BEL)

Hmmmm kind of a tough draw for Juve, looks like the group of death to me, though they should still advance as they should beat Sevilla & Gladbach.  But i'm not convinced on their squad this year, too many holes in midfield, the defense is getting too old and the attack might be lacking without Tevez up front.