DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 3/5/15

victor

* They haven't said which bit of Russia Rusev is supposed to be from. Bulgaria is in Europe... if the inevitable face turn has him going against Lana, that would explain why they haven't done anything about that 'Map of Bulgaria with Bulgarian Flag colours and the word Bulgaria across the middle' tattoo. You'd think they'd make some attempt to cover it up or at least not shoot it in close up. Unless they're assuming their audience knows nothing about Geography.

This is the same company that bills Kofi Kingston from "Ghana, West Africa."

Who was originally from Jamaica   :lol:

WWE should use the Rusev reign as an excuse to bring back the European Championship and work on fixing the championship hierarchy. Just have Lana say she's tired of carrying around the "American title" and bring out the old European title.

If they didn't let Cesaro do it, they shouldn't let Rusev.

They aren't even in the same league as far as WWE is concerned.

The People's Title. Because even if the Universe doesn't get the idea of people as in People's Republic (or People's Front of Judea), you're still having a heel claim the legacy of a legendary babyface*. Rusev, Champion of the People.

* Two legendary babyfaces. And Tito Ortiz.

* They haven't said which bit of Russia Rusev is supposed to be from. Bulgaria is in Europe... if the inevitable face turn has him going against Lana, that would explain why they haven't done anything about that 'Map of Bulgaria with Bulgarian Flag colours and the word Bulgaria across the middle' tattoo. You'd think they'd make some attempt to cover it up or at least not shoot it in close up. Unless they're assuming their audience knows nothing about Geography.

And Gail Kim was "from Korea."

He resides in Moscow.

And Gail Kim was "from Korea."

How could we forget "Bombay, Michigan?"

And also wasn't it said that Rusev defected from Bulgaria to Russia? 

Yeah, they've fully acknowledged he's from Bulgaria. They were calling him the Bulgarian Bruiser post-NXT. They announce him as "now residing in Moscow," but they aren't actually pulling a Kofi and retconning his origin.

How could we forget "Bombay, Michigan?"

And also wasn't it said that Rusev defected from Bulgaria to Russia? 

There is a Bombay in Michigan. There just isn't one in India any more (it's called Mumbai now).

Also, does anyone really defect now? Did Yo-Yo's Roomie defect to America from England? Because I thought he just emigrated there.

Must be a hell of a commute for Rusev, flying halfway around the world every Tuesday and Friday.

Also, does anyone really defect now? Did Yo-Yo's Roomie defect to America from England? Because I thought he just emigrated there.

North/South Koreans defect.

Not sure how Gail Kim fits in.

Even though she's from Toronto, they always billed her as from Seoul, Korea. Kinda like how Finlay was billed from Belfast, Ireland. I mean if the WWE was ahead of the curve on Northern Ireland leaving the UK and rejoining Ireland that woudl be awesome.

That Brie vs AJ match was too long and bad. If a AJ is going to wrestle like that, why did she come back? It was like Brie was just tossing a sack of potatoes around for five minutes. There was absolutely no energy from AJ during the match. Cole kept pointing out ring rust, but theres a difference from being off your game and not giving a fuck.

Brie tries hard and I think she is the top diva worker on the main roster, but she doesn't have enough charisma for herself. Let alone to cover up that that AJ is only around because she can , but not because she wants to be.

• Like 2

It just dawned on me that Cena's gonna cost Rusev the U.S. Title to Curtis Axel on Monday to get him to agree to the rematch.

Ya know I want to see Cena's attempt backfire, or have Axel get destroyed before Cena can get to the ring. If Curtis Axel is the first one to pin Rusev in WWE, that is horrible booking. I like the idea of Cena trying and failing to get Rusev to wrestle him. I'd also love for Rusev to mock Cena and bring out the Spinner US Title

Doesn't Axel have a win over HHH? I think when he debuted as Curtis Axel and put Heyman with him, HHH jobbed to him. Which if true is mind blowing because his last two jobs were to the Bryans.

Absolutely hilarious that they make a big deal about the 'Give Divas a chance" and they bring out Cameron, Summer Rae, and Eva Marie.  Surprised they didn't Rosa Mendes in there as well.   Like they were telling people that be careful what you wish for because we will give you THESE DIVAS.  

Man that R-Truth stealing segment at the beginning was so much better live than on TV.   Couldn't even bother showing him hiding behind the time keeper I guess.

It just dawned on me that Cena's gonna cost Rusev the U.S. Title to Curtis Axel on Monday to get him to agree to the rematch.

If that were to happen it would be one of the worst and most counterproductive booking decisions in the history of the business. God help them if they actually do that.

You're probably right though and that is what will happen. Christ.

Doesn't Axel have a win over HHH? I think when he debuted as Curtis Axel and put Heyman with him, HHH jobbed to him. Which if true is mind blowing because his last two jobs were to the Bryans.

Yep.  The night he re-debuted as Curtis Axel, he beat Triple H by ref stoppage or some such.  That was the beginning of the "Triple H has concussion-like symptoms and should retire" angle.  Actually, Axel beat Trips a week or two later on Smackdown, I think.  Probably not a pin, but some sort of outside interference/countout  win.

Axel also got a couple wins over Cena right after he re-debuted as a Heyman guy.  God, Cena did jobs for Curtis Axel and Lord Tensai.  What a waste.

If that were to happen it would be one of the worst and most counterproductive booking decisions in the history of the business.

I don't think so. Undefeated gimmicks never work for a guy in the end; they get defined by it and lose direction once it's over. This way, Rusev isn't so much "the guy who lost" as the guy super pissed at Cena who wants to tear that turkey a new one. I don't expect this to happen, but I don't think it's a bad idea. Rusev's long-term prospects will be worse if Cena beats him without shenanigans.

If that were to happen it would be one of the worst and most counterproductive booking decisions in the history of the business.

I don't think so. Undefeated gimmicks never work for a guy in the end; they get defined by it and lose direction once it's over. This way, Rusev isn't so much "the guy who lost" as the guy super pissed at Cena who wants to tear that turkey a new one. I don't expect this to happen, but I don't think it's a bad idea. Rusev's long-term prospects will be worse if Cena beats him without shenanigans.

But when you have an unpinned gimmick like Rusev, the one who does it should be at Rusev's level or above it. If Axel is the one to get the win, will the heat pass over to Cena to build the Rusev/Cena match? Also I wouldn't have Cena be the guy to end the streak. I know it's cliche at this point, but I'd either have Reigns be the one to get the first pin or maybe a top debuting NXT guy (Balor/Neville/Owens) if you're gonna push that guy as a top guy right away.